terry

2017 Tasman Cup Race 4 Marsden Park

The cars have arrived safe and sound, picked up the box this morning and couldn't wait to get the cars unpacked and for me to get things organised downstairs.

First impressions are what a fine group of cars!

Didn't get the cars on track but I've just gone over the cars to see if there was anything obvious that may need a bit of attention, all good there.

I'll report back later today, well maybe later tonight, after I've given the cars a practice run,

At this stage qually will be done tomorrow afternoon, with the race being run on Sunday

155202.jpg

So, I just got a bit of time this afternoon to give the cars a run, just to see where we are with car speed and grip etc....

Not sure what to say from the above times, Phils car is a dream to drive, very easy to push hard, loved Daves' #30 car, nice improvement on last years set up, and Stewarts cars always seem to go well here, although the car did have a tendency to lose the front a couple of times without warning.

Qualifying will get done tomorrow hopefully, domestic duties may delay things by 24 hours so we will have to see how that goes.

Interesting to see so many cars in the 4.8 sec region, some really well sorted cars here and from early appearances any one of 4 or 5 cars could finish on top.

The only car to not go well was the #2 Ferguson of Spoons, very bad gear noise and on full noise it bounces down the straight, I will need to have a closer look at the car before race day

Terry

Edited by terry

Terry I think No2 was one of the cars that the rear tyres are not glued on. It was OK at Johns but was bouncing a bit here on the faster sections.

Your faster track probably shows up the problem more.

Also keep a check on 78 gear mesh, we have adjusted it twice, first time was probably due to the wheel falling off!

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Yes Phil the tyres were not glued and this has caused a chain reaction, apart from the thing bouncing down the back straight the gear noise grew louder on each lap, so I stopped fairly quickly, maybe only doing 2 or 3 laps.

Anyway, I've glued the tyres, track testing still showed major issues, once I got into it I found the motor has come loose, and the crown gear had lost a lot of teeth, looks like the inside of my mouth!

Resoldered the motor in, changed the gear, gave the tyres a light sand and finally got the car into the 5.1's, its not going to be much better than that but at least its a better car than it was last night.

As well as repairing the #2 car I had a couple of my club cars going around all 3 lanes just to make sure I had a good layer of urethane down as I had cleaned the track down just recently, now I'm good to go tomorrow morning and get qualifying done.

There doesn't appear to be any problems with the #78 car, looking at its finishing positions up till now I reckon it will be somewhere there or thereabouts, my dark horse for the race is Lennys' Cooper, I was really surprised with its speed, looks like a dogs breakfast but it goes real nice.

Good field this year some really nice cars, pity my #10 is not one of them........thats proxy racing

I did forget this...Stubbos Brabham is ailing, I did a 5.08 I think in practice but I cut the laps right down as I felt the car was slowing, I haven't run the cars today so I'll know more in the morning, doesn't feel good

Edited by terry

G'day Terry,

Thanks for getting things underway.

If my car is not well feel free to retire if you think that is best.

Alan Stubbings

Qualifying is done,

155627.jpg

Really impressed with the closeness of the field, to see 7 cars under 4.8 is really impressive, can't wait to get the race going, stay tuned.

Apologies for my lack of tidiness with the above, without a doubt the most stressful thing about hosting a round is getting the results posted on here!

Edited by terry

132213.jpg

Round 4 has been run and won!

Although the places were hardly surprising there were some very hard battles fought during the running here at Marsden Park.

A new distance record, and a new lap record were posted today, such is the quality of this years field, 2954 laps were run in total an average lap count of 140.71 laps per car, it wasn't that long ago when that lap count would have been the winners total lap count!

Well done to all the builders of these cars!

More to come

Edited by terry

Wow that was quick Terry thank you for running this Round, not happy being creamed by the kids again, think I need some building tips from the 16 YO Granddaughter!

Bit of a surprize with Lenny car running much better on your track, well done Alan.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Here's hoping mine ran more like practice, and less like qualifying...

But I doubt it.

Thanks for running the round, and looking forward to the results.

I've done all the scoresheet and its on my desktop and I'm scratching around in how to get it on here!!! (ODT File)

Wow that was quick Terry thank you for running this Round, not happy being creamed by the kids again, think I need some building tips from the 16 YO Granddaughter!

Bit of a surprize with Lenny car running much better on your track, well done Alan.

A quick proxy is a good proxy Phil, you've gotta be pleased with your 2 cars, I thought your #9 car was going to crack 150 along with the #1 car, loved driving the Lotus, easy to drive and great grip.

Lennys car was so much fun, it was great, excellent car and a big improver from previous years, there are a couple of cars this year from previous years and they all showed big improvements, just shows you don't need to build a new car every year.

Your car came in 7th Shadow, real pleasure to drive your car it just hooked up!

When I get the full info up you will see how good it was.

171829.jpg

The old dummy grid table, all cars ready for action

104506.jpg

Tassie trio, tough cars to beat

110344.jpg

Shadow Rustys' Emeryson, very nice car to drive, another one with good grip and well sorted

104821.jpg

Spoons Ferguson, Mannimals Ferrari 158 and Scozz Lotus 25, these cars had their issues, generally lacking grip and a few other niggly things, love the paint job on the fergy!

Edited by terry
  • Upvote 1

Terry

If you cant get the file up send it to me and I'll see what I can do.

Alan Stubbings

Thanks Terry for getting this one done, and, over so quick!! Top job!!

Sounds like you had a blast. The Fergy is a stunning car I thought too.

Well done to the top 3. I felt Alans car was a contender when I drove it at Stubbos'

Good job. Look forward to see the how the battle for mid field turned out.

cheers

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

I love proxy time!

Getting the cars up from Phil is always keenly anticipated, I never really know what is ahead of me and at times I get a little anxious jus hoping I can do the job, even after I think 5 Tasman series now, I get a little nervous, I shouldn't worry, I know I give all the cars a red hot go and get the best out of each car.

This years field is probably the most competitive since I've been doing it, some very well prepared cars.

I'll do a run do on my observations tomorrow or as soon as I can regather the feeling in my trigger hand!

It certainly makes me all the keener to get just that bit more out of my builds, theres always the next build!

More pics.

104208.jpg

Slo1's very sweet Brabham and Dangermouse BRM, the Brabham was very close to being there, just lacking a wee bit of grip, the BRM promised more, especially on red lane where it was found to be a bit flat, a good car

104401.jpg

Rolling Thunders Lotus had a ordinary race, not too great with grip and a bit down on grunt, wasn't the easiest car to drive, Charless' Brabham had for him an very ordinary race, not what Charles would have wanted, on the other hand Lennys' Cooper was a real fun car to drive!

Loved throwing the thing around! Very forgiving with excellent grip and good speed,

104251.jpg

Diffinitys' Cooper T53 was a real surprise, looks awkward but it showed good speed and was very smooth throughout, needs a new paint job!

Edited by terry

Looks like I peaked in practice :) all downhill from there

thanks for running the round Terry

Don't know about that Dave,

You are still ahead of a lot of us, funny how your car sort of bogged down on red, red lane is my go to lane when testing and running cars here, its the centre lane and usually is the fastest, this time round the 2 outside lanes were quicker, can't figure that one out??

Your car had great grip

180948.jpg

I know Chris would be dirty on this cars performance but it is such a great looking car!

Theres something there, is it a Rat racer look or something?

Just a bit slow mate, certainly gearing could be looked at, check out the tech sheet for this years cars and you will get a good idea of what the fast guys are doing,

104306.jpg

Peter Gunns BRP, solid car, runs hard performs good, just a little off the top runners, very predictable and doesn't catch you out

104024.jpg

One of the top cars, FPR7's Elfin is a great little car, goes very hard and was a real chance of a podium, I had a bit of "learning" on one bracket which resulted in a off or two and I reckon that was the difference between a podium and not, sorry. Really enjoyed the Elfin

Edited by terry

Wow, way better than I'd hoped...

Not bad for only my second brass chassis, completely hand built, and done in just a few days.

Glad the MJK's liked your surface.

ps. The 'peeling' sticker is just annoying me.

Good Morning All,

Here are the full results for round 4

Results%20Round%204%20Marsden%20Park.jpg

Well done Lenny on the podium finish. Still the usual suspects at the top but the middle of the field is a lottery this year.

If someone knows how to make the picture bigger???

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings