2017 Tasman Cup Race 3 Shelmore Park

kalbfellp

b_003932.jpg

Shelmore Park is a 4 Lane braided track just over 20 metres in lap lenght. Surface is ferodore coated with 3 coates of cabaots satin clear.Power is regulated variable supple giving around 30 amps.

Track preparation consisted of a total clean and around 120 laps completed on each lane with a eurethane tyred car.

b_212938.jpg

b_212957.jpg

The cars were soon unloaded after the short trip from Stratton Valley.

b_213134.jpg

Drivers attended a briefing session before qualifying got under way.

At the end of qualifying one of the Internationals ended up at the top of the time sheets, much to the surprize of the locals.

b_112533.jpg

Everyone is now looking forward to race day with very keen interest to see if the Phil Hill Cooper can get a race win down under.

Thats a fast lap for Stewart. Whats the lap record for these cars on Shelmore Phil?

Good to see Dave in the mix!

And looks like mid field could be well and truly up for grabs with all those close times...

Good luck everyone.

Edited by slo1quick

Stu: Stubbo's car from a few years ago is still the fastest at 6.601, But that had a handgrenade Solar Ff030 motor.

Fastest SRP was 6.655, not sure if any of these cars will ever break into the 6.5's.

Stewart's and my car in particular are right on the limit, and getting hard to drive that fast, The kids,Daves and you car were much more stable on the limit.

I qualified the cars so will write up my driving notes soon.

These are my notes about the cars from Qualifying.

Probably different from the race drivers comments as I only did 10 laps and was trying to get the fastest time from each car.

53 Good car smooth good handling, Needs more speed,possibly wrong gearing

3 Very good car,smooth But just a little twitchy and lets go very quickly.

2 Smooth drtive train,But car bounces part way thru some corners and then rolls.

4 bit of tyre chatter,But easy to drive

100 Very fast.But left front wheel not on track,chassis app[ears to be twisted,Tried to twist chassis but it flexes back after a couple of laps. Tyres look wide and Lacking grip.

22 Very large diameter tyres allowing it to roll easily. Guide very deep can be heard hitting bottom of slot.

23 Smooth car,another deep guide. These deep guides are not causing problems,but can be heard in slot.

56 Just lacks grunt,Tired? Cannot get anywhere near its limits.

10 Smooth car but lifts wheels and suddenly rolls.

14 smooth car, handle well to a point then suddenly tail cks out.

30 smooth car no vices

16 very good car,easy to drive.

32 Front wheels very hard down of track, gearing a bit noisy,possible due to last Race problems.

78 Handles very well ,just not enough speed. ( Gearing?)

5 Very quiet and smooth BUT very hard to drive with little grip.

13 No problems apart from deep guide hitting bottom.

6 Very surprised, goes better than it looks. I think this car will go even faster with abiy more tuning. Front wheels hard on the track surface,guide may need a spacer.

11 Fast ! handles very well to a point.But when driving right on the limit the car becomes unpredictable.

9 Fast built for this track,But does bounce a little in two corners.

1 Last years winner, fast and very easy to drive.

8 Very smooth and easy to drive,thought lap times would have been better,seems to be lacking power out of the corners.

Race results will follow very soon.

Hi Phil. Thanks for your comments on No.5 Brabham BT4. Not unexpected as tyres very much a compromise.

Grip etc aside how was its speed/gearing?

Regards Chas Le Breton

PS. Looking back over last 5 years my cars have never preformed very well on Shelmore but this year is probably the worst.

Edited by charlesx

100 Very fast.But left front wheel not on track,chassis app[ears to be twisted,Tried to twist chassis but it flexes back after a couple of laps. Tyres look wide and Lacking grip.

Interesting comments...

Fairly sure that the tyres were the second pair from the pair that I ran last year.

Chassis was straight here, so that's weird. Hopefully it doesn't affect it too much...

b_193122.jpg

Great line up ready for the race.

b_191945.jpg

Drivers for this Race were:

Chris Priest (Stack) Adrian Gray,Callan ( son of Boss 302) and John Batich.

b_191824.jpg

b_191754.jpg

A big thanks to Thomas Males (top) and Dave Gray who came along to marshal for the night.

We did not have any real problems one car did have its gear come loose on the axle, and we had three track calls for car off in hard to reach spot.

The cars with very deep guides did continue to click around the track, the Honda had two de-slots under the Dunlop bridge that may have been caused by the guide.

Dave Bantoft again was a wildcard entry for this event and again was a lap clear of the actual winner.

When the race finished is was my Lotus 32 just ahead of the grandkids Lola and John Batich's slowing Brabham.

b_223313.jpg

Very close racing.

b_112359.jpg

More pics to follow soon.

Callan has some drivers comments to post later.

Next Race is at Terrys.

Edited by kalbfellp

Congrats Phil... you told the Grandkids yet?

Well done to the ones at the pointy end.

Good to see some feedback, look forward to Callans comments too.

I'm thinking I'll be putting a little give into my chassis builds in the future, softening it up a bit.

Thanks for the round and to all the drivers and marshals, good job guys,

Thanks for getting the race done Phil,

Nice result for the Tassie cars, and as Stubbo has said, it already looks bad for any cars NOT coming from Tassie.

Good result for you Dave, that BRM is coming along real well, certainly shows that you don't need to build a new car every year, just keep slowly improving on a already decent car.

My #10 car obviously has good speed as shown by its lap times, but possibly its bit harder to punch out consistent fast laps, still sort of happy to be mid pack, anything in the top 10 has to be okay, I suppose.

So much for Stubbos "dead" motor!

Looking forward to getting the cars here at Marsden Park, the track is all good with a clean yesterday and good solid lap times on all lanes.

Will this be the year when someone cracks the 150 lap barrier?

This year the track preparation was a little different as we had been running a lot of NSR treated tyres in club racing so both tracks were cleaned right back and some Eurethane layer down,so the surface was very grippy. It will e interesting to see how things progress on other tracks.

Several cars were lacking grip here and yet the same tyres worked on other cars.Maybe all in the tyre preparation.

Phil, just an "aside" to this, are you sending Daves' Lotus 33 up here?

Be good to get a look at the car as it obviously is quick and I could learn something from it, or maybe I'm just looking for the chance to have a drive!

Another "wild card" entry?

*Fastest race lap is Old23 too on lane 3 - Sorry Stubbo!!!

Firstly the cars were very good again here at Shelmore and it showed with only a 6 tenth spread across all the cars on my lane (which I think is quite extraordinary for 22 cars). I would gladly race any of them in our equivalent series. If you have any further comments about your cars or anything else I'll be on here all day as I'm stuck on light duties at work.

1 – Set up on this track and it showed – easy to drive at 10/10 tenths every lap

2 – Very lively with good power but maybe too light as it tends to tip over – very close to great set up

3 – Good overall car but lacking grip compared to the top couple of cars (only difference) – easy to drive hard every lap – suits longer sweeping corners

4 – Good car initially very noisy – discovered had a slipping gear and after it was tightened was 2 tenths faster

5 – Very low grip – could be managed to a degree with driving style – has potential as very low and holds on well

6 – Good car but didn’t handle the faster open corners as well as the tighter ones at previous round

8 – Interesting – at last round had really strong brakes which I thought was odd. Same again at Shelmore until halfway through my bracket it seemed to free up and instantly I went 2 tenths

faster. Something may have been/is binding

9 – Same as grandkids car although the body doesn’t seem to float overly smoothly – don’t think it really matters though

10 – Great car – nearly there with top couple. Suits my driving style

11 – Well well well!!! This car is what I’d call a Gilles Villeneuve (my favourite driver) car and was my favourite car to drive due to the lap times it rewarded you with when you got it perfect. Nothing will come close to this on perfect on the limits lap. After racing I was sure it could break the record and after only 9 laps I had it down to a 6.558 which I believe is a new lap record. The reason it is a Gilles Villeneuve car is that the grip breaks away when you brake a split second too late or get on the throttle a split second too early it would actually spin out! Because of this it was really hard to drive it fast without making mistakes. Even when it broke loose into a slide it would cost it 2-3 tenths a lap. If the rear tyres of the 1 or 9 car were on this it may have gone even faster…

13 – Good easy to drive car – just lacked a little handling finesse to be those 2 tenths quicker

14 – Lacked a little brakes compared with the other cars (I normally race with nearly full brakes) so I couldn’t push it as I hard as I would have liked into the corners but otherwise good speed in a straight line

16 – Very good car – can’t really tell it is 2 tenths off the top couple, drives just the same

22 – Not too bad, I had it on first when the track wasn’t optimal so it didn’t handle probably as well as it did later in the race. Was fairly twitchy and I had to concentrate on driving it straight without it sliding or tipping to get good times out of it

23 – Good car just a touch more of everything to get it further up the field. Easy to drive though and push hard

30 – Pretty good car, I found it a touch flighty – didn’t feel as solid in the slot as the top couple and felt like it was always going to fall out – it didn’t though and was quick once I got my head around it

32 – Very noisy but drove very straight without sliding. Feels like it is dragging through the axle so it wasn’t overly fast in a straight line but was easy to drive hard without fear of falling off.

*33 – Dave’s car – Dave’s scratch built chassis is very well built however isn’t very quick. Dave’s car does those extra couple of laps I think because any driver can drive it hard and the times show not much spread between the drivers. It is also easy to drive fast as the car is forgiving and prompts or teases the driver to try harder and harder.

53 – Good car just ran out of puff

56 – Motor seems to down. Have to flog it through the corners and then doesn’t seem to accelerate out of them – the Shelmore back straight felt very long with this car. Handled fairly well, had a bit too much give and slide on the Tassie tracks. I think all the drivers found this the most constant to drive as shown by the closeness of the lap times as we could drive at 10/10 tenths every lap and it hung on – got a fairly good result despite being a couple tenths slower than a couple of other cars

78 – Was a great car just down on speed – possibly through gearing not the motor. I think it could be as quick as the top couple of cars just with different gearing. Could drive really hard and look forward to driving it again hopefully with different gearing

100 – I really liked this car last round but this round the faster corners showed up a problem with this car. As it would be on the exit of fast corners it felt like the front tyres would dig into the track and de-slot it. I had two offs on different straights because of this before I was able to drive around the problem and accelerate later than normal cars, when the car was fully onto the straight. Is a quick car otherwise but the fast corners on to the straight upset it this round.

I know Dave's car has done really well down here, but it does have a fairly sophisticated scratchbuilt chassis. After driving the grandkids car which is basically an off the shelf chassis, I am leaning towards building a car with one of these and potentially entering next year as I am not a scratch builder!

It seems as though tyre choice is a huge factor - especially on the Tasmanian tracks, but also having a super low centre of gravity so the car stays on when the grip level is high helps immensely.

I will be interested to see how the cars go on the mainland tracks and compare their layouts and finish to the tracks down here.

Edited by boss_302's_son

Congrats to Grandpa Phil, the talented Grandkids and John B on their top finishes. As for my #11 polesitter, it looks like Feel Heel found his head but scared himself into a few offs on the way to a 12th place race result. At least he can console himself with the two fastest race laps and a big helping of "if only". Thanks for the driving impressions. They are always educational.

Stewart

Edited by Old23

Be good to see enter next year Callan, thanks for the comments.

How did you find the motor/power on the #3 car? It felt a bit lack lustre in the opening round at cape, just wondering if things had freed up a bit.

I agree Terry, anything mid field is a good result given the depth of fast cars.

Congrats on the fast time Stewart.

Cheers

It was a little down on power compared with some of the quicker cars. A lot of our corners are fairly slow and the cars have to accelerate rather than hold some speed through the corners - yours would be better on the outer lanes which aren't as tight. The cars are so close this year it doesn't take much to change 4 or 5 placings!

A lot too I think comes down to how user friendly the car is, for example it may take 9 or 10 laps to get your eye in and hit some fast laps in one car, yet for a car like Dave Bantoft's only takes 2-3 laps and it stays at that pace.

It seems that the bent front has played a part in my finishing...

Thanks heaps for running the round, and hopefully my car can struggle through to the end...