Scaley Javelin - Surprising Easy To Set Up

14 replies to this topic

#1 jphanna

permanent member of slot car family

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

My information tell me that it was either Hans Fritzenzupen or Hans Onkok that was poached from AUDI into the Korean giant Hyundai.
All of a sudden, decades of boring, questionable looking cars started to look real nice. They were laughed at in mid 80’s when Alan bond brought them into Australia. Look at em now!!!
One man turned a cheap and cheerful car maker, into a car maker with very nice trendy cars right across the range.
Well I have been hearing for while now that things have changed at SCALEY world. I read a few posts and articles about it. I have even seen new cars at the local track run, various cars and they go very nicely it seems. I had yet to taste the new goods, but last night I bought a new AMC Javelin for one of the classes we run.
In the past, the thought of taking home a brand new scaley meant I had to allocate several hours to strip and rebuild with alloys etc to try and be competitive. It was always so hard that I tried as hard as I could to avoid buying them unless it was absolutely necessary. I hated them that much.
Getting back to the Javelin, I thought I would get started on it to assess what I have to do at a later date. Once I opened it up, I spent a bit of time stripping the bits n pieces, had a close look, popped in some good bushes. Slid in new axle and the intended rims/tyre combo. What a surprise, It’s the lowest car I have ever bought. Lower than any of the dedicated ‘race brand’ manufacturers.
Someone at scaley, races and has used his influence, (just like the AUDI guy has improved the Hyundai’s,)built the new breed of cars very low, plus heaps of room with inline configuration for plenty of meat on both sides of chassis (how many cars have heaps of room on one side and nothing on the other) for tyres without rubbing guards etc.
I havnt put it back together yet ,but the things I have been hearing and seeing, are not accidental. The new generation scaley have good looks for sure, but I am sure there is a racer in the design team and from the little time I have spent on my first of the new generation scaley, its real good.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society
2 times Australian National Champion
1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

#2 Tazracer

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hi

Set one up yesterday and found a few pro's and cons to get it going on my tack. Just for reference my tack is 27m long, 6m main straight, 3 straights between 2.5 and 3m, high speed sweeper, a gentle s section, and 4 corners with radii of 300m for the inner lane. So all in all a fairly fast flowing track that I run at 11 volts. Cars need to be able to hang on at fairly high speed to keep momentum up. Grip is good, but too much means a car will dig in and tip or roll out, so a happy medium between grip and a little bit of gentle drift is important.

The Javelin drove a lot like the scaley dodge charge, on the faster turns it just ran out of the slot at speed, but not really a problem. Existing tyres meant the car was to snappy in drifting out. Added NSR tyres, trued, added about 15g of weight (5 up front, and 10 middle to back) nail polish on the front tires. It is now running nearly as good as a trans am comaro. Will look at lowering the front a couple of mm and it should be a nice competitive car.

The new scaley set up described by jphanna above is a definite positive for race tuners. Good clear spaces to work in for setting up. Also like the new "standardised" wheel size so there is more tire choice.

Only thing letting this car down is the light bleed through the body at the rear end. The tail lights light up the whole end of it, which is red making it look a bit odd. Could paint the offending area black inside the body.

This is the second new generation scaley I have done (Johnson Sierra the other) and I have to say the design changes makes putting them on the track a lot easier than before.

Edited by Tazracer, 21 May 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#3 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi TAZRACER, thanks for your summary. mine gets to hit a track for the first time tonight. at one club (monday nights) we run weights and gearing is free. at the other club, (tbirds) we run no weights. MAGNET..... and stock gearing. this car will be set up for tbirds. the Camaro and corvettes are the fast cars with magnet in place. i am hoping that this car will also be a good magnet racer. if not then i will add weight to it and race on monday nights........ (this is one of only 2 tbirds classes we run with magnets BTW. the other 90% are non magnet and up to 30k motors) as far as the rear lights ar concerned, if it doesnt do justice, then i will snip the wires and disguard the light panel.

Edited by jphanna, 22 May 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#4 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

i gave it a quick run last night, in tbirds specs, (no weights) but with magnet, but on a NON magnet track, with BRM tyres. (lot more grip than MJK)

seems to be good in grunt dept. not outstanding but should be enough to do the job.

definately does NOT like corners. pops out way to easy, compared with other scaley muscle cars. i am hoping for a better showing on the magnet track at tbirds. i have lowered my expectations though.

#5 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Good to see you still keeping an eye on the Forum and building still, Brian.

#6 Wobble

Electric model car driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

These little rascals haven't arrived in NZ yet as far as I know and I've been hanging out for one. Might have to wait until the next livery comes out at this rate.
Posted Image

#7 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

well as soon as i put it on the track, the room full of slot racers were interested in it asap. it definately attracts attention. very good looking car.

give me an ugly pig that handles any day though.

if i doesnt handle at tbirds without weight, then i will load it up with weight and run on monday nights instead. problem solved.

#8 Tazracer

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Hi - I put weight up the front, as well as each side and it improved. Next job is to lower the front by 2 or 3mm, I think that will do the trick. Did that with the Dodge Charger and the Mercury and it made a hell of a difference so it should work with this as well. I know some of those old style cars had their bonnets reaching for clouds, but when the toy car is on the track it looks better staying in the slot.

Phil - still racing and tuning - tuning gone mad with all the 3d chassis being released for older fly cars. Done about 20 and 10 to do. Really pleased with things like the fly alfa GTAM, fly Porsche 911/34 - proper chassis makes them great runners that look sensational on track as they are all beautiful models. 3d chassis, 3d pods and recycle everything else as much as possible. Doing some Porsche 911 GT1, Marcos, BMW M3 GTR and Corvettes' as well - with the orange end bell equivalent motors they are competitive with slot it gt and even over a race gt NSR's. Will be in contact about sourcing some vac formed interiors!

#9 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

You know where to find me Brian.

#10 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

I finally got to tbirds to drive this car as the rules intended, and after allowing the adjustment to magnet racing mode. (complately diffrent to non magnet driving) took me about 20 laps but finally the numbers come up, or went down, so to speak (computer never lies) and its shaping up to be a very competitive, smooth, fast race car. its my third attempt at magnet cars. Its a lot harder then you think if you not used to it. if the put too strong a magnet, then the motor overheats. too weak and it barrel rolls at the fast corners.

once i was satisfied i got the guy who won the last round of magent racing to drive it and he just was amazed how smooth the car is, so this one get packed away and i wait for the next magnet series.

Edited by jphanna, 01 June 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#11 baford

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

These Javelins are great cars easy to set up & easy to drive pity when Scalextric made new editions of the Mustang & Camaro that they did
not give them inline chassis , were I race at on a Friday night they have won the Muscle Car catagory quite a few times & are now the car to beat since they were introduced .

Richard

Edited by baford, 09 July 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#12 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

it has seemed like and eternity to finally race this car in my local raceway. I have done 2 races. the rear end has been removed and a slot it rear end installed. no changing of the position where the bearing sit. just better quality bearings and a slot it axle and crown.

first week (bearing in mind 1mm clearance needed) I run nsr 17mm rims and it tipped probably 40 times in practice. no matter what technique I tried, off, off, off, off......again and again and again. the guy next to me (arch rival) must have been thinking......' this guy has come off more times in the last 20 minutes than he has for 3 years previously. maybe he is sandbanging or trying to give me a false sense of security'

it was bloody horrible but the tall rims gave it good top end.

a week later I changed to 16mm slot it rims with even lower profile tyres. I was desperate to get it closer to the magna braid to get some turn in. although I lost a bit of top end down the straights, it was sensational in the race and won by over 3 or 4 laps. so I thought......

I didn't check it on a set up board and on one side the plastic moulding was drooping lower under the left wheel. as a result on the test board that wheel was dangling up. disqualified!!!!

tonight I grabbed the car and shaved the excess plastic on that side and with the same tyres on, it clears on both sides now.

at tbirds, the traditional dominant car is the front engine corvette. that car has the best mid corner speed out of all the other muscle cars. we are talking over 10-15 years domination!!!

I am sure that the tide has finally turned, and the javelin, based on the way it went last night is the new king of the muscle car mountain

#13 Desert400

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

I'm seriously considering a Javelin at the moment - do you think it might be able to live with the old L88 Corvette?

We have a Scalextric Muscle class (no magnet but stock), which basically translates to mean the Trans-Am Camaros and Mustangs plus the Corvette, the Gran Torino with scope for an XB or XC Falcon.

It's a twisty four-lane Ninco track and the only car that stands a hope of getting a place is the Corvette. Which is fine but I do like a bit of variety on the grid. Camaros come closest so far. I had a go with a Dodge Charger once and don't want to repeat that night of abject humiliation in a hurry. I really want to run a Falcon but the Javelin seems like it might have what it takes.

How are they running with more track time?

Edited by Desert400, 14 August 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#14 jphanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

sorry for the delay mate.

i havnt run it on non magnet tracks yet because the other place i run at uses pioneer cars as well and scaley cars with pioneer motors.

those motors really pull a lot harder than thier specs suggest. so if i run the javelin against them it would still get beaten. i will, for my own interest sake, put a pioneer motor in the javelin on the non magnet tracks and see how it goes against the camaros, mustangs and dodges etc.

#15 Desert400

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

No problem thanks for the reply. I think I am going to invest in one. If anything can put a dent in the tyranny of the L88 then I'm all for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users