Take Out Kings

jphanna

This topic is dear to my heart. First i wanna go back to mid to late 70's. i had forced introduction to touring cars, having 2 die hard race loving bigger brothers. typical rcae of the day was Moffat out in front, last lap and gricey on his tail. its happend so many times i lost count. even Moffat himself mentioned this fact in that series of specials on touring car legends. specifically about Gricey hounding him.

so grice is faced with a safe and sound second place, but decides over many races in that same postion to take a lung on the the last corner and hope to snatch victory. what usually happend was a crunched up Torana, and sometimes Moffat etc, and last place or limped home in 6th position.

he couldnt help himself. i used to hate Gricey back then, but i Really loved it when he beat Brock at bathurst in the Chickadee commodore a few years later.

getting back to slot cars. i bet in EVERY club there is someone or maybe a few that faced with the choice of relinquishing the entry to a corner, or all or nothing and take everyone they take the second option. statistc dont lie. some guys just cannot help themselves in a race situation. they may even be your good mate. but in race situation, chosing to relinquish a corner, and get through it safely, is not an option. even if being lapped for the 5th time.

in my mind i have my database of who does this in which club. i had a big race on saturday night and the grid positions were sent to us the days beforehand. i was chatting to one of the guys about the race and i said that in the past, when racing along a certain person, 100% of the time he takes me out. he cannot help himself. it is a perfect record, and sure enough it happened again. its not intentional, its just some people cannot handle being passed. its like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

so i have introduced a new way of thinking when faced with one of these people. if i next to this person and want to pass i give myslef a PONR (point of no return) moment, where if i can pull enough ahead of him before a certain part of the track, he cant take me out even if he tries. he will just crash and miss me. if i cant get ahead enough, then i relinquish the corner and tailgate until the next lap and try again.

obviously some people would say, 'just take him out'.....

its not my style.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

I hear you JP.. it's hard to bring yourself down to an aggressive knock em of mentality if that's not your thing.

We used to have a racer that was fast, but even faster when you were about to overtake him.. he either took you out trying to block you or fell of trying to stay in front.. and got you. As you say 100% for sure. Thankfully he's not racing now but away from the track a great guy.

I have this recurring dream that on the bell lap I find the magic corner and moment to overtake and win.

Then I wake up and realise if I heard the bell lap on the Johnson system i'm already at least 2nd. Funny thing is its always a different competitor. One time is was my ex wife. I think I need counseling.

Edited by axman

99% of the blokes I race with have the attitude that if they are being lapped, they ease off early coming into the next corner and allow the faster guy through, but there is one guy who, no matter how many times he is being lapped, he'll take a lunge, take you out, and when he's confronted with his actions, stand there and tell you that it's your own fault for trying to pass him on the outside.

I can understand that mentality when your racing for position, but once your being lapped, have a little race etiquette.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention the countless guys, fast and faster, that you can dice with.....lap after lap after lap neck and neck through every part of the track, and no one gets taken out. the majority are in the good category and you know what, dicing like that, for 5 laps, fighting for position, without taking each other out is the best feeling you can get racing slot cars. even if you lose by .01 of a lap. that to me is quality racing with your mates and rivals.

its the 1% that just cannot compute being passed, and there auto response is into the wall for anyone who tries. its some fast guys too...

Yes it was a good night last night...

There are definitely people on my 'be cautious overtaking' list.

But, every time without fail, I will apply my 'surely it won't happen this time' hat, and it will end in tears for me.

glad you enjoyed your racing last night.

statistics dont lie. the ones that do it probably dont even realise they do it. its second nature to them.

it just means that you move to 'defensive race mode', when we are stuck next to them.

I Have to laugh at your topic John, before you make comments about this whyu don't you take the log out of your own eye before you take the splinter out of your fellow competors.

It goes both ways, the faster guys should look out for the slower drivers

Wil

I Have to laugh at your topic John, before you make comments about this whyu don't you take the log out of your own eye before you take the splinter out of your fellow competors.

It goes both ways, the faster guys should look out for the slower drivers

Wil

Wil,

who is targeting the slower drivers? i have stated clearly that some people (Fast included) dont take to being passed at all. ever. when my cars are not set up well, i let everybody pass me. why hold a good race up for others, just because on that night, your car and or driving is not good?

Well a month ago a senior driver took me out and said that is what you get it is racing I said yes any fool can drive like that, well I lapped him twice and sorry I took him out both times and said any one can play that game. Well senior driver I am 63 years old and have seen this for the last 50 years and have learnt to be weary.

HI Kart.68, I used to race with the same crowd you are racing with now, and there was one guy who said to me one night, "if I can't win,I'm not letting you win".

He was well known for deliberately taking front runners out, so that his mate could win.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

lucky for all of us the good guys outnumber the others (bad sports) by a long shot. the way i see it, when faced with one of these guys either side of me, it helps to sharpen your 'race craft', as you cant just drive as fast as you can anymore. you have to be offensive and defensive at the same time.

monday night i was fighting for a place with 2 others either side of me. i took out, a respected, skilful, competitor on one corner. it may be the first time i took him out in 4 years. we have had countless dices over the years. i was disapointed in myself, and for him and i apologised on the night, and by email the next day. he accepted my apology. bring on next monday.....

C'mon, lets take this to the next level. A well timed, silent and extremely pungent fart does wonders when you're racing in a small room.

Much more satisfying than taking someone out on a corner.

Also, adjusting the brakes on a competitor's controller when they aren't looking and listening to them whinge about their car makes me grin from ear to ear.

May the downforce be with you.

Ha I have used the FART technique a time or two. But JP is right some people will commit racing suicide rather than be lapped for the third or fourth time and so on. Most however will blip out before the corner saves me saves you. Only lose 12 inches of track position vs half a lap. for two cars or worse.

May the farts be with you

Thought i would get my then girlfriend later wife interested in slots in 1964 so took her along to the club and like all begineers she struggled to work out what to do and when to do it but in time she got to be a very fast cunning driver and took no prisoners , certain guy called Ken was her normal target fast confident against a mere woman so what she did was to slow as he thundered up behind her and flicked the tail out normally of a Pontiac GTO and Ken would vanish in the scenery and , all you heard was marshalls sort of stifling laughts Ken swearing and jumping up and down and a demure voice saying oops was that me.

Hi Peter, wife's are a good ploy... I'm showing my age and have mentioned this in a post some time ago.. one of the South Australia drivers used to nominate his wife to marshall in the Teams event. The donut was the hardest corner because it had a 1 foot straight half way round. The only way to recover cars was crawl out on a plank suspended over the track. His wife would crawl out in her hotpants ( yes, I said hotpants .. it was the 70's) and the distraction would send half the field into the wall. :blink:

Hotpants.jpg

for the younger members of this glorious forum.....the real deal in authentic black and white, exactly as we would have seen it back then

Edited by jphanna

There is always the James Hunt option? Take the guy outside for a knuckle sandwich?

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

There's normally some "karma" involved here.

Aggressive racers/overtakers more often take out others, and get taken out as much by others. Fault is always depending on viewer angle :)

The more calculated racers/overtakers tend to have less offs regardless whether overtaking or being overtaken.

Personally I'm not a fan of blue flag rules in slot car racing or in real motorsport, especially if it is a single category race.

The overtaking car with superior pace should be made to work for the pass in a safe place on the track to do so.