Sign in to follow this  
Ratracer

Electric Supercar Smashes Nürburgring Lap Record

New super car record but Porsche 956 driven by Stefan Bellof still stands as outright record.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/15/motorsport/nio-ep9-electric-supercar-nrburgring-lap-record-production/index.html

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

Anyone found out why? Was it the "electrical" bit ? The roll centre with all the weight being low? Lower weight? Tires? The driver?

Count me as not really impressed. When someone tells me where all the electricity comes from to power all the electric cars I will start paying attention.

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

So... fly on the wall. are you a glass half full or half empty kind of guy.

Is it better we keep pouring even more petrol on the fire with combustion engines or not even try to find an alternative.

At least the electric car gives a performance level we can get excited about. And yes, I know where you're coming from.

At this stage its probably charged by an energy source out of the ground..

I saw a project last year.. a loaf of bread sized turbine that charged the batteries that powered the electric car... I'd love to hear that..

Imagine when you parked the sound of a turbine winding down from 100,000 rpm as you walked away from your car.

We just need the flux capacitor like the professor had for the Delorean in back to the future...

Edited by axman

Electric is fast, massive torque is easy to come by with DC motors. An 'off the shelf' Tesla will blow a V8 Supercar into the weeds; but it won't have much range at that pace because storing and carrying fuel (batteries) is the big issue.

So how many laps of the Nurburgring can the NI0 EP9 do at record pace?

Turbines charging batteries might work. If you live anywhere with a bit of a breeze on most days you can charge house batteries from a windmill. Cheaper than solar and they work at night too. What do you say Fly on the Wall, a better solution?

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

There is lots of alternatives out there... I have been watching the progress of solar wind energy towers.

Think tall tower with atmospheric differences between the bottom and the top. The tower tapers to the top and creates a high pressure which powers a wind turbine.

I'll try and find the site for the newer, more advanced system using similar technology and water.. interesting stuff.

Found it.. www.solarwindenergytower.com/

:ph34r:

Origin Energy wont like it ..

Edited by axman

Porsche 956 & Mazda 787, check out the in car youtube footage - the noise is amazing....

Bring back Group C racing!!

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling electric cars are worse for the environment than petrol or diesel. And don’t mention man made global warming because that is total bullshit. Natural climate change is of course very normal.

And yup it will increase the cost of electricity so your power bills will rise due to demand over supply. The future is looking ordinary.

Rick

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

There has not too much said about how damaging batteries are for the environment yet but I did read something recently about how lithium and cobalt are becoming more difficult to source. This will drive up the cost of resources. Nothing comes easy and there will always be the need for new technologies. I don’t think battery cars in the current form will be the final solution.

There are major announcements to be made on new battery tech in the near future.

Also all the major progressive countries are ditching the 2nd industrial revolution ideas and are readying themselves for the 3rd industrial revolution where it will be all renewable energy and car sharing. China , Germany and others are leading the way.

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird