David Carter

2017 Nz Grp 5 Proxy

Dave will drop mine round on Weekend. Just fitting a roll cage B)

cool you can pick up your metro at the same time

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I will get some track pics and race dates posted soon

I will need to get some new pics as a few of the pics I had are photobucket hosted and have been blocked

I have had to change the race 1 date to the 17th due to the NZ nationals being on the weekend that I was going to run it

so a few of the guy's will be away in Nelson

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

DONE!!!!

Aahhh, the highs and the lows, the up and the downs....

After I first built my car for this proxy I ran it. And it was good. I really liked it. But that was like 6 weeks ago. Since then I did... nothing! Zero, zip, zilch, nada, bupkis. On May 27 I wrote: "So far so good: best lap of 6.429 compared to the Capri's 6.420. But somehow thus far decent lap times on my home track has just never resulted in very good race results. Will have to try it on another track I think."

Since then:

1. Did nothing to the car.

2. Did not run it an a different track as I intended/hoped. Did not run it on ANY track actually.

In the mean time our local track guru has changed our main local track (Luf changes the Targa every few years. This time round the track did not even last a full year before the change...). And with the deadline approaching I decided I had to do one last check on the new track prior to shipping.

Oh woe is me! What a disaster! The car was AWFUL! While on initial testing it was just about my fastest car, on running it on the new track it was like NOWHERE! Slower than some of my pretty mediocre cars. It really was grim! From being on rails it was all of a sudden a tail-happy monster. Oy vey!

But there was one glimmer of hope: we run urethanes pretty much exclusively in our club racing. We just find urethanes very easy to prepare, quite consistent and forgiving of track condition. And there's the rub: this was running on a new track with a "green" surface. My only hope was that, while my "lesser" cars were running on urethanes that were not too badly affected by the newness of the track, we all know that NSR rubber tyres can be very finicky. Maybe that was it...

But I had to get confirmation and closure: I sure as heck could not send the car in just like that! So I asked Luf if I could to some testing today. To establish how the car was doing I had to compare it to some other cars. On the previous version of the track I had lap times for virtually ALL my cars. On the new one... not so much! Like almost none at all actually. So now that we have had a couple of evenings of club racing on the track (so it MUST be at least somewhat "rubbered in"), I took a number of cars to the track today with the intention of running sufficient laps with some quick cars to get a sense of where my entry is at. The cars I took were:

1. My fastest NSR Mosler on urethane tyres. This used to be my quickest car and I thought this would be a good benchmark.

2. Former North America Gp 5 proxy Capri: Fly body, Fly chassis but with a Slot.it sidewinder pod grafted in. Not a bad car although it did not set the world on fire in the NA proxy. NSR Supergrip tyres

3. Later North America Gp 5 proxy Capri: Fly body, Richard Mack metal chassis. Again: not a bad car although it did not set the world on fire in the NA proxy either. Urethane tyres

4. Racer Sideways Capri: planned entry for this year's NA Gp 5 proxy. Sideways chassis, Slot.it sidewinder pod, NSR Ultragrips. In earlier testing this car had done rather well.

5. Racer Sideways BMW 320. This car was prepared as an alternate to Capri #4. While very nice, thus far it has always felt like the Capri was just that bit better. Setup virtually identical to the Capri.

6. Last but (hopefully!!!!) not least: the M1 entered in this series.

And off I went. Results of the afternoon's testing:

Car #1: Started with the benchmark Mosler: not at all bad. Initially a bit slippery as this was my "track cleaning" car. To be fair I ran it again after I ran all the other cars. Got a better lap time at the end: 6.475 seconds. Pretty quick and not a bad car at all: decently prepared NSR Moslers (and this one is rather well prepared) tend to be quite good....

Car #2: Clearly not up to the Mosler standard. Still a very, very nice car: easy to drive, good levels of grip, smooth: a lot to like. But slower: best lap: 6.791 seconds So slower than the Mosler

Car #3: A bit better. The heavier metal chassis made the tyres complain around the corners quite often and the momentum of the heavier car worked against the grip. Still rather nice. Best lap: 6.761 seconds. Not much in it compared to car #2. Still slower than the Mosler.

Car #4: Very nice! A definite step up from car #3. Very "driveable", very good grip with just a bit of looseness on the rear. But fast. Best lap 6.422 seconds. That's better: faster than the Mosler!

Car #5: Oh wow, I may have to rethink my entry into the NA Gp 5 proxy! The BMW 320 is NICE!!! Best lap: 6.365 seconds! Just a lovely drive. Not much quicker than the Capri but feels noticeably better.

Car #6: the moment of truth! First laps were not as promising as the #5 car: just felt a bit more loose in the rear. But still very quick, very smooth, good "planted" feel. Got better as I went along and eventually got a 6.325 second lap. So: the quickest of the group.

Bottom line is that I feel I can rest easy. Overall I must say I think the BMW 320 is actually the pick of the bunch: just that touch easier to drive than the others and really corners like it is on rails.

But the BMW M1 feels quite OK to me. A proxy winner? I strongly doubt it. A nice car to drive? I really, really think so. I am really hoping for at least a top half finish with this car. But I have felt like that about other cars as well in the past and have been disappointed... Time will tell...

So: off to the post office tomorrow to ship the car. Fingers crossed!

Alwyn

Wow superslab you have been a busy guy ,just bunged my 2 entries together ran them on the home track , nothing fell of and off they went to David, don't reckon to win this proxy setting cars on Carrera track to race on wood is never much cop but good to take part give the drivers down under something slow to warm up with. ;)

I agree you have been busy

I have changed the motor in mine 3 times now

but I think I am getting close

will do another test session on the weekend and hope she will be ready

The Ferrari doe's have a knew paint job now so maybe that might help

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Dave, my car sent today.

cool hope it goes as well as your can-am car

speaking of that I better do the final results from the last race

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

race dates at this point

Race 1 - 17th August

Blackwidow Raceway Napier NZ

P1110171_zpscdflyzkh.jpg

Race 2 - 2nd September

Orakie Raceway Auckland NZ

131912.jpg

Race 3 - 13th September

Bays Joinery Raceway Nelson NZ

r90_121424.jpg

Race 4 - 27th September

Toppslots Motorplex Raceway Christchurch NZ

130814.jpg

Race 5 - 12th October

Thunder Road raceway Hastings NZ

track.jpg

Race 6 - 28th October

Bonython Blacks Sprint Canberra AU

04A2CCB8-DBAE-488E-BA2B-C8B0A25296FC_zpsrju3swew.jpg

Race 7th November

Streets of Oakhurst Sydney AU

IMG_7811.png

Race 8 18th November

terrys track Nelson Bay AU

194115.jpg

pic shows the original surface, the track has since been repainted

Edited by David Carter

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

only 9 days left until cars are due in for tech check

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

My car is done .............. no more touching!!

I'll hold my round straight after the Canberra round so the 4th November will be race day for me Dave

9 days to go sh#t let the games begin ....

I'll take a picture of the inside of my chassis after that I hope it doesn't need opening again ...

I'll also write down the spec's of my car if someone wink wink tony(BOV) wants to do a spreadsheet I'll have that available....

so good luck to all !!!

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

Unfortunately mine will be late. I've got to finish building my track so I can setup my car. I'd rather miss the 1st race than send an underprepared car to a proxy.

May the downforce be with you.

Then you'd have 2 cars trying for last place. :D

not Rossko's cars

they are mostly at the pointy end

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Then you'd have 2 cars trying for last place. :D

not Rossko's cars

they are mostly at the pointy end

He does know what he's doing but someone has to stop him getting a big head. ;)

May the downforce be with you.

there has been a schedule change in the roster

race 2 will now take place in Christchurch at Topp Slots Motorplex

Orakie raceway will now run round 4

I will have the cars in the post early this week

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.