Mrrc Revival

Our club was looking around for a new class to race and Paul Y and Westie suggested running the MRRC clubman kits(steel chassis) with allowance to use any of the MRRC white bodies with a 16k motor. Had to admit MRRC have some cool 1960's bodies which look great running on the track. Needless to say all the club guys enthusiastically got into the class especially as they could make their own liveries.

Here are my 3 attempts - after alot of hours, hair pulling and messed up paint jobs. Hardest part was modifying the interiors of the white kits to allow enough clearance above the motor as they were designed to fit the Sebring chassis. Overall happy how they turned out but may have to take a break before attempting to do any more ..... :unsure:.

Just finished Cobra, inserts are from the MRRC Ferrari 275P, hub insert diameter of the 275P is slightly smaller than other cars so couldn't use the Cobra inserts, still looks okay.

IMG_3512.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3515.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3521.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3524.JPG?dl=0

The Cheetah - I call it the "8" Ball livery.

IMG_3510.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3493.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3506.JPG?dl=0

This is my version of the Dave MacDonald Cooper Lang.

IMG_3485.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3486.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3487.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3488.JPG?dl=0

Will try and post some of the other club guys' cars when I get pictures.

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Love the Cooper cobra, beautiful paint jobs on all, congrats and well done.

Love the Cooper cobra, beautiful paint jobs on all, congrats and well done.

Thanks Grant. The Cooper Cobra was my first build. Researching it was more fun than the build, found some cool actual race footage on You tube. The body is sitting a bit high as I had to space the body posts otherwise the floor of the cockpit was sitting on top of the motor. It wasn't till after I had filed, modified and glued the cockpit in underneath the body, that one of the other club guys who was also building a King Cobra mentioned the instructions diagram showed that you mounted the cockpit plate from the top of the body and clipped it in, which then gives you plenty of clearance underneath ..... sigh - you live and learn.

Orakei Racer

Nice work Mike. I'm picking the Cobra will be the fastest of that trio.

they all look great Mike

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Mac - the Cobra is still running in but is the slowest of the 3. I may have too much weight on it, still early days. The weapon of choice is actually the Cooper Cobra(or King Cobra) - it's low with a light body, hard to deslot, so you can really push it. The Cheetah is not too far away but again just need to get the weight balance right. Without weight underneath, they are all prone to tipping but too much weight bogs down the 16k motor we are all using.

We are all aiming for 5.1 - 5.3 lap times but Westie and his son have got their King Cobras doing 4.9s, so the R and D is working overtime.

Orakei Racer

Cool car Mike, I have one of those, it goes pretty well, What motors are you using?

We are using the 16k motor that comes with the kit with 9 to 28 ratio. The Clubman kit actually comes with 3 motors 16k,18k and 21K but we opted for the 16k to make it easier to drive.

Orakei Racer

I like to pick obscure cars myself as, like you, I think that researching them is half the fun.

Education huh, who would have thought?

Any chassis pictures Mike?

Here are some chassis pics. We found a slab of lead under the motor worked nicely plus there was still plenty of track clearance even with the lead - we set min clearance to .75mm.

IMG_3528.JPG?dl=0

Orakei Racer

I'm liking my Ferrari 250, same spec 16k motor, but clearly I can add a heap more lead!

One of the club guys is also running a 250 and found adding some strips of lead to the inside of the body around the door sills worked pretty well. His car is a rocket - nice low profile and almost as wide as the Cheetah.

Orakei Racer

N

One of the club guys is also running a 250 and found adding some strips of lead to the inside of the body around the door sills worked pretty well. His car is a rocket - nice low profile and almost as wide as the Cheetah.

I'll give it a try tomorrow, hopefully after I wire up a second (of 3) lane on my track.

Hi Guys, actually Mike it was Paul's idea to run these together as a class and a great class we have with them too.

These cars aren't as quick or handle like a Slot-it car but they look great and we really do have some close racing with these great looking cars.

They are still quick enough to race for sure.

These chassis go together very easy and the quality of the components is as good as any brand out there, alloy rims all round with good size grub screws, motors that are smooth and built to last, oil-lite axle bushes.

It doesn't take too much work to get one to run well, we use the 16k motor with 9-28 gears, plain super glue holds the tyres to the rims with no chemical issues

The rear tyres are a very good rubber type compound, they true easy and hold grip very well.

MRRC have a range of bodies and wheel inserts. The kits come with a sheet of decals and a choice of 3 motors.

You can see us racing them on you-tube via this link

DSC08535_zpssucqhylg.jpg

DSC08554_zpsf7tfgcxj.jpg

DSC08533_zpsxd4e8mx2.jpg

DSC08551_zps9efzck8p.jpg

IMG_20170418_202259_zpszh99tvhe.jpg

IMG_20170418_200243_zpsiz3fcegn.jpg

IMG_20170328_201315_zpsbk7yx7vj.jpg

V7_zps4tcen2yl.jpg

C2_zpsqrzz4vle.jpg

Edited by drw21
  • Like 1

Thanks Westy for the additional pictures. And I stand corrected - it was Paul from our club who suggested the new class. Paul is our resident Master modeler and painter. I think he has painted 8 to 10 of these cars(maybe more) - the finish and attention to detail is impressive and he was having a ball doing them. Thanks Paul.

Orakei Racer

What's next in the pipe line? I'm looking at a Corvette - maybe Penske's Red 24hr Daytona. I'm also looking at a Revell Shelby Daytona and seeing if it's possible to mount on a Clubman chassis. Paul said anything is possible - could be his next job.... ;) . Also have a Ford GT40 MkIV - decisions, decisions. Pity MRRC don't produce a Chaparral white kit any more - that would be cool to see on the track.

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer