newso

1/24 Smer Alfa Romeo 1950 Alfetta

lagotalbot2.jpg

I built this about 3 years ago,a 1949 Lago Talbot 1/24 kit from Smer,a copy of a "Merit"kit from gawd knows when.

With the Lago Talbot I stuck a MJK chassis underneath and although the guide sticks out the front I was fairly happy with the result.

Liked the era so much I finally got my hands on a 1950 Alfetta GP car from the same era.

alfabody.jpg

This time I have a scratchbuilt to go underneath so no guide will be visible(I hope),just love these ballsy old open wheelers!

alfachassis.jpg

As you can see at this stage the chassis is very basic,actually I did this about 18 months ago and put it in the too hard basket.

I'll send more pics as I progress(??)

Terry

Edited by newso

Ged has been putting these and a couple of similar cars up on eBay periodically and I always wondered about wheels and tyres. What did you use, Terry? It looks terrific.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Bump,wheels and tyres came from Patto,front and rear the same wheel sizes:17mm diameter, 7mm wide,insert diameter 15mm,although I used the kit inserts which from memory fitted straight in.

Front tyres are rubber forgot what they are called,but they came from Patto,and the rears I 'm pretty happy with,because of the narrow tread,I knew the rubber would give me no grip,and I used a cheetah motor,so I used Pattos foam tyres,which are available in the correct size,although I did do a bit of trimming on the tyre truer.

If I had to use rubber tyres,then I probably would have gone down to a fox,but the foam tyres go good.As a matter of fact,I recently took the Talbot down to Hornsby for a run and after 3 years the foam had gone a little brittle, so I gave them a very light shim on the tyre truer and they are as good as new.I must admit that did suprise me!

At long last I've finished the alfa.

Crappy photos,not sure if its me or the camera hope you can get a fair idea of how its turned out.

Alfetta1.jpg

alfetta2.jpg

Alfetta1.jpg

Haven't done a pic of the chassis,its a very basic wire inline set up,frankly I don't think the chassis is worthy of a photo,funny how some cars are a real ordeal to finish off,I love the old GP cars but for some reason this one was a real slog.

I'm running out of excuses to not starting the 2006 proxy car Phil!

terry

Edited by newso

Very nice, as usual.

Is that Fujimisun at the wheel?

A pack of that era car would look awesome going around the track.

:D

Steve K.