Revell 34 Ford

Time to work up a Revell hot rod kit that I've had on the shelf for years.

341_zpshwiaca3y.jpg

Like the PYRO 1940 Ford I did last week this one needed the chassis cut out once the body was put together

342_zpsyw6mtxna.jpg

Chassis was a cut down Scalextric F1. Annoyingly, the front axle needed to sit forward of the guide to get the wheels centred in the arches and the guide under the front grill. With the axle tube in place this meant the front wheels were several mm off the track - not ideal for a good handling car.

344_zpspkcofwe4.jpg

After trying a number of solutions i ended up reaming down the plastic body post tongue ahead of the guide shaft so I could get the guide deep in the slot and the front wheels touching the track. Apologies for the poor image. (the brass tube behind the guide is from a previous build)

343_zpslkrjadjl.jpg

Here's the body shot with primer and a hole cut in the bonnet for a blower.

347_zpsbyu5vnfy.jpg

The supercharger is going to come from a Maisto Muscle Machine that I picked up on clearance for $2 - thanks for the tip Pat and Dave! These motors simply unscrew and are a great find for 1/32 rods. I'm stockpiling them for future builds

345_zpsilphl4m3.jpg

And here it is on the chassis. I think I am going to use upholstery pins for moon-eye hubcaps again. I used them on my '40 Ford build and they looked good.

346_zpsyczfuduv.jpg

With the narrow track and guide forward of the front axle, I am not sure how well this is going to handle - but I'm happy with this afternoon's work.

• Upvote 1

Podiums are for short people.

346_zpsyczfuduv.jpg

With the narrow track and guide forward of the front axle, I am not sure how well this is going to handle - but I'm happy with this afternoon's work.

Liking where this is headed...

ps. A matching deep dish rear wheel for that front would also look tops... Very 80's hot rod build...

Edit

They remind me of these wheels...

s-l225.jpg

Needs to be a little deeper inset than this...

$(KGrHqQOKnUE1OOdY9lBBN,MsI1(Vg~~_12.JPG

Edited by shadow_rusty

If you are not going to race it then handling doesn't really matter. But I can't help thinking your wish not to be able to see the guide has compromised the build?

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

And we're done for now.

348_zpsvynzqg77.jpg

349_zpsmzkbmopv.jpg

3410_zpsqvkjx2uo.jpg

Still with the mismatched mags but club racing is at mine tonight and I'll discuss the options with the boys or go with my original moon eye instincts.

On the track it's not a flyer but runs smooth and doesn't de-slot easily. Happy days!

Podiums are for short people.

saw this car in the flesh and had a drive tonight and I must say I am very impressed with how it has turned out

looks fantastic on and off the track

the miss matched wheels like fine as they are

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.