Digital Teams Endurance Race

SlotsNZ

Hey GRUNZ et all.

copied a post from the kiwis overseas discussion on the DISCA 24 hours, and started a new topic here, so people have somewhere to kick ideas about.

Anyway, we have to have a similar event in NZ/AU. I can understand that in NZ digital is still looked as a strange thing. But I do not understand why in AU they do not have large digital events given that AU is the home of Scorpius. I would not mind to fly to AU for participating in such an event.

My personal goal is to organize a large digital endurance race in the next couple of years in NZ.

Instead of Ninco, my track will be based on Carrera. Maybe something like the 12 hours of Bathurst with GT 3 cars complete with a start in complete darkness.

Yes, I am surprised there hasn't been anything "big" in Oz. There are plenty of digital racers in various states, numbers of pretty clever guys there on digital - all systems - as we readily read on forum as they solve people's problems.

A 12 hour with teams from NZ and at least 2 or 3 states in Oz would be interesting.

- GT 3 sounds like a good basis.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Digital enduro's are great fun.

The one I attended at Cam's track was great.

Of the mainstream digital systems, Scaley is best for PC integration, whilst Carrera is better for non-pc integration as their peripherals really expand their system..

Both Scorpius and Oxygen are great systems, and far more reliable/flexible than the mainstream options too. Cost is the biggest factor with these for most people though...

Thanks Mark for bringing this up here.

If we go ahead for an event here in nz, the idea would be to rent a sport hall and build a large track.

At the moment I would be inclined to go for Carrera track with oXigen components mainly because i have both.

For teams that do not have them, we can rent out oXigen controllers.

I would expect each team would be responsible for prepping their own car and installing chips.

An oXigen chip goes for 39 AUD (http://www.armchairracer.com.au/track-systems/oxigen-digital/slot-it-oxigen-digital-o201b1-in-car-controller-type-b1).

A 12 hours enduro based on the Buthurst would be really great but more taxing from a logistic point of view.

To test waters initially, we could start with a race similar to the Blancpain GT formats:

- We could do either a 2 1-hour races similar to the GT3 Euroseries organised by DiSCA (http://www.officialdisca.com/2016/06/gt3-euroseries-132-technical-regulations/).

- Or an enduro of 3 hours still based on the DiSCA regulations for preparing the cars.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts that I have. Open to more ideas.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

I think I still have 3 Slot.it handles back in Napier, and I MAY have a couple of O2 cartridges, but not sure.

And of course Pedro has a few Slot.it handles, but only Carrera/SSD/SCX/N-Digital cartridges.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

We have run a 5 hour GT Enduro with SSD running Race Coordinator Digital as the RMS. The race ran without an issue for the whole 5 hours. Most of the guys that race here love the enduros as with digital you dont need to run brackets to change lanes like in analog so we just set fuel burn to last for around 10min stints and do driver swaps when you come in to pit to fuel up which gives guys about 20-25sec to swap drivers while fueling up. Cant wait to do our 1200 lap Enduro on the Bathurst weekend Saturday with Cam's 1/24 Slotworx V8's later this year

Edited by Johnsxr8

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com