National Slot Car Day

phoeno29

What about Sunday 11th Dec at Luddenham then, for 1/32 and 1/24 cars?

This looks as good a date as we can get. I like the Open Sports and may try to get the 1/24 Trans Am I started running as I will be on holidays the two weeks preceding it.

I assume OP and Slotbaker will have their Trans Ams there too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump,

Cheetahs do not count as Trans Am. They are prototype/GTs

The Trans Am that Vinno refers to is outlined here, but in brief, it's for specifically 1:25 scale Trans Am and/or 'Pony Cars' using Plafit Fox motors.

:)

edit

BUT, it would be good to see it. We could have a vintage/nostalgia event (as you suggested) for the original 60's cars that people may like to bring along.

I've got a few that may be of interest.

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

Bump,

Cheetahs do not count as Trans Am.  They are prototype/GTs

The Trans Am that Vinno refers to is outlined here, but in brief, it's for specifically 1:25 scale Trans Am and/or 'Pony Cars' using Plafit Fox motors.

edit

BUT, it would be good to see it.  We could have a vintage/nostalgia event (as you suggested) for the original 60's cars that people may like to bring along.

I've got a few that may be of interest.

I think Bump was having a lend of you Steve. Sounds more like a "run what you brung", which is cool anyway.

Yes, Vinno is correct except for the having a lend bit. Run what you brung, eat & drink what you brung as well. Any proper race rules are left at the door. Was thinking more for 1/32 guys to see what's available in 1/24 and vice versa.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

For sure, the Aussie slot car day is a free for all, bring it and play with it.

Best way to have some fun.

Who's interest in going to Luddenham?

Does anyone prefer other venue/s in Sydney?

Doesn't seem like there is much happening anywhere else around the country.

:lol:

Steve K.

I have been a bit slack up here with our group and this day. So to the Brisbane guys, anyone interested in doing something different and going to the commercial track at Cannon Hill/Tingalpa say Sunday at 2pm for a few hours ?

Like the Sydney guys lead, just run what you brung. We can organise some more friendly controllers in a 45ohm instead of the 2ohms they gave us last time.... (Or something like that)

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

Sure thing Florida, maybe Perro would throw the doors open and invite us in. I just thought it would be good to race on 8 lanes for a change and more importantly, to show the 24th commercial mob how strong the 32nd rtr is in Brisbane, something which they turn their noses up at most of the time.

EDIT - OK I know the 24ths arn't a 'mob' as such and are no different to our 32nd scale group. Anyway I hope we can all get together for an afternoon at the WSCC on December the 11th.

And I know they don't turn their noses up, just one guy was and he's in all sort of trouble so my humblest apologies to the 24th'ers. I look forward to having a run with you one day soon.

Edited by phoeno29

...and more importantly, to show the 24th commercial mob how strong the 32nd rtr is ....

Does this mean that the 1:24 guys up there are not part of this discussion?

I thought we were all trying to share the hobby and work together.

It's not really going to be much of a "National Slot Car Day" if only a small percent of us are going to participate at 1 or 2 tracks.

Steve K.

Maybe so but you have to start somewhere. Live8 only got a grand total of TWO attendees for the Channel crossing event so I think we're currently ahead of them.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Apart from Werner, I don't think any of the 24th scale guys in Brisbane visit this board or any other boards that I visit. There's a couple of 32nd scale guys in Bris who have 24th scale cars.

Perhaps the day should be Auslot day and not National Slot Car day. Like I said, it was just an idea, make of it what you will.

From what I hear, a 24th scaler at a particular track in Brisbane think 32nd scale cars are toys and this one bloke that I spoke to, made a lasting, yet ordinary impression on me. I know all 24th scalers are not this way.

EDIT - I would like to apologes to the 24th scalers whom I may have offended. There was only one bloke who I was speaking about and to paint you with the one brush was unfair. I see the person in question has got himself into all sorts of trouble.

If the guys from Sydney who race in different groups and places get other and have a day out sharing cars, idea, stories and laughs, then great, the day and the idea have been worth it.

If other groups don't then, so be it.

Edited by phoeno29

Hey guys im in tassie the scene is a bit slow where i am ,but im working on it i have had a few guys from work drop around and they are wrapped now they are buying there own cars hope to get a good nite going , would love to participate in the big day but we have a concert coming up at the theatre my involvment will keep me flat out till its over , i have met up up with one of Phill,s mate who lives in my area . it would be good to do a video link up with the different states on the day . My hats off to all involved . :)

I`m up for anything.

If the Brisbane 1/32 boys would like to play with some 1/24 i have one Canam 1/24 Plafit car I don`t mind leading out and i have some 1/32 Womps i could put together and i could even but a Drag car together if I tryed.I think there is a big race meeting at Cannon Hill soon as well,i will keep you up dated.

Thanks Paul

100_2752.jpg

Sound Barrier Raceway

Hi everyone,

Well I would personally support an attempt to get the inaugarul National Slot Car Day up and running whether it be by being involved with something as simple as participating in the event or with promoting the day in anyway I can. I also think all prejudices about us and them with 1/32, 1/24 or HO go out the window for such an occasion and hopefully forever. Even collectively all our forms of scale racing are only very miniscule in the overall skeem of things and only through unity will our very favourite of hobbies have any chance of survival. What with Wynnum Slots having undergone a major upheaval quite recently and a minor splintering within our very own Brisbane 1/32 race group. Q32 and united self promotion and celebration is just what we could all do with.

I'd certainly be honoured to run an event at my place but seeing as our 1/32 cars can run on the larger commercial track housed at Wynnum Slots where as the 1/24 cars would have difficulty on the Ninco track (except for Carrera 1/24) and the fact that Wynnums commercial facilty also has a large 8 laner, a smaller 6??? laner, drag strip and an Artin 1/32 plastic track then it makes good sense to hold the event there. It is also airconditioned and large enough to hopefully accomodate a good number of people.

With good people like Werner and Paul being able to help bridge any gap between the various scales hopefully an appreciation for each others preference will be of great benefit for all on the day. And as a great man once said, with a well supported event like this, "Slot cars are the winner on the night" (Eggy 2004).

Had an idea yesterday about having a National Slot Car Day where each city/state made a genuine effort to organise a racing event/bbq/gathering in each city/state on the same day.

I think it would be great to know that while I am with a dozen or so slotters from Brisbane that there is the same thing going on in Sydney, Melb, Central Coast, Hobart and anywhere else that people are from that are Auslot members.

No genuine reason why other than to provide a half baked excuse to get together with others and to invite those along who you know through Auslot live in the same City as you or near you but you have never met. Or maybe invite a bunch of guys from your work, or organise a father son race. (Father daughter just fine also)

Phew, must go and lie down after all of that. Any other suggestions welcome.

Hi!

our nick here is wscc. we're the new managers at wynnum slot car centre (hence wscc).

we are ricky and mary ann.

we heard your call for come slot car centres to take the national slot car day to be taken with a bit more excitement and effort. we are doing just this.

we have undertaken a plan to fully utilise this national event and would love some feed back on what other centres might be doing on that day.

at the moment we are going to encourage the circuit, all classes, and drag guys to come show their wares, as such. on this day we are also organising our new season for circuit racing.

if you have any ideas it'd be great to hear from you

thanx from the team at wscc

click

Has anyone got anything in mind for something in Vic? Myself and a mate would be keen, either that or we can have a race day and toast a few beers to you all? I'd prefer to race on a new track though :)

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

Hey there Florida,

I headed over to Wynnun Slot Car Centre this afternoon and had the pleasure of meeting the new managers Ricky and Mary Ann. The place was quite full too, the centre has been cleaned up and basically the place just feels so much welcoming. Both Marry Ann and Ricky couldn't have been more friendly or enthusiastic if they had tried. It was like a breath of fresh air had hit the place. I went over with Deion and was expexting to stay an hour or so. 3 hours later I dragged myself away. I encourage you to give the centre another go and I am sure you will be very happy and relieved indeed at just how much better things are now all thanks to Ricky and Mary Anns efforts in such a short time.

I hope you will be part of the big day with the rest of us on 11th December. See you there!

Perro

OK South Aussies...Is there anyone interested??

I have canvassed the SCR group and hopefully I can russle up some interest. But I just dont want to restrict it to our little group.

Is there any other South Australians who want to do something? Maybe we could all head up to Thunderbirds and take over for the day? Maybe we could hire a mini bus and head to Goolwa and take over Longbeach's track (If he would have us, of course ;) Dont forget Longy, this is for ALL scales!!). Maybe I pull my finger out and finish my track??

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Guys (and girls)

This is all well and fine for getting existing slot car racers together but isn't the idea of a National Slot Car Day to get newbies to come along? The venues chosen will need to be able to cater to those people who come along and want to race but find the track already being used (and may be in use for quite a while).

You're going to need people on hand to talk about our sport (and not scare them away) as well as things to keep them amused. What if they bring their kids, what can be done to support families?

Lots of things need to be considered if this isn't going to be just another slot car meeting.

I like the idea of Ludenham as a venue for Sydneysiders but I think I'm going to have a struggle getting mates I work with in St Leonards out that far. How about a 2nd venue for the city folk such as Armchair Racer who are open on Sundays or aren't the numbers big enough for 2 places?

Anyone pushing this to newbies and if so, getting them to come?

Sorry to sound like a wet rag but I'd love to see something come of this and know it can be done with a bit of planning and promotion.

May the downforce be with you.

hi .... what happened to Pat??? ...New manager??..

this sounds good....i'm starting to get excited ;)

Pat who?

HAHA. I put a voodoo curse on the guy and got a vampire to suck his blood....but can you get blood from a stone?

Pat as you all would have seen or at least heard of, was not a good retail person. His personality and short temper didn't suit the customer service style that was needed for the place. We got him booted, banished and busted. (In more ways than one.)

I don't know what stories are floating around about his departure but let them fly they're all true, to some degree. But the important thing is that Pat is gone, the place gets cleaned, the tracks are usually full to the brim and we're inviting people to have a say about the rules and regulations.

click