National Slot Car Day

phoeno29

Had an idea yesterday about having a National Slot Car Day where each city/state made a genuine effort to organise a racing event/bbq/gathering in each city/state on the same day.

I think it would be great to know that while I am with a dozen or so slotters from Brisbane that there is the same thing going on in Sydney, Melb, Central Coast, Hobart and anywhere else that people are from that are Auslot members.

No genuine reason why other than to provide a half baked excuse to get together with others and to invite those along who you know through Auslot live in the same City as you or near you but you have never met. Or maybe invite a bunch of guys from your work, or organise a father son race. (Father daughter just fine also)

Phew, must go and lie down after all of that. Any other suggestions welcome.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn good idea.

One of our regulars (who also is a 1/24 regular) has touted in the past a slotcar exhibition, where the plan was to hire a venue, set up some tracks, have some competitions, auctions, card table market etc. He figured, if the railies can do it, why can't we.

Maybe this could be a perfect opporunity to get this kind of thing to coencide

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

I'd be up for it if something was organised in Melbourne or so. But I don't know of anywhere commercial that you can go in Melbourne

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

After a bit more thought, our group might do a track crawl. Start at 1 track at 9am, race something there, hour later drive to next nearest track, race there, go to nearest maccas for lunch, leave there and go to next house, etc etc

Have a trophy for most points won on the day or something silly like that !!

Stuff it - why do we not make a list of all the clubs and whatever that we know of & we'll write to them "officially" once we pick a date.

We should also try to find all the importers/manufacturers and shops we can find. They're going to like having an "event" before christmas. Goodness - we should even write to "sunrise" - that short bugger's got a summer off!!

Lets try to make this happen properly.. in, let's say about six weeks time??

I'm at home most of the day so I'll play "secretary" if you like. :D

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

After a bit more thought, our group might do a track crawl.

Two years ago I organised a "Big Day Out" event. We raced on 4 tracks on the one day. It was well attended and very enjoyable.

I highly recommend organising something like this. The rules and types of racing are almost endless and you can make the racing as fun or as serious as your club/group prefers.

keep it in the slot, the slotdownunder

C'mon guys, Eno has volunteered to be the secretary, there's 2 months to go to Christmas so pull your fingers out.

BBQ at someones place would be the easiest thing to organise. Getting a track set up somewhere like a shopping centre would be a hassle unless a few guys are prepared to be there all the time and spend a lot of time setting it up.

I'd love to attend something in the daylight hours, it'd be a great chance to bring the kids, the missus hates it when I go out at night to "play".

Which one of you wants a dozen boozy mates around for the day with their kids all telling you how to modify your track to make it work better? :D

May the downforce be with you.

Heyo,

This sounds fantastic!!! Some great ideas here guys!

If this is going to happen in 6 weeks time, my track should be up and fully operational by then, so i'd be happy to host an event like this at my place, or be part of a track crawl.

On the other hand a more organised setup in a hall could also work, with christmas only 2 months away, i think it would in the interest of the slot car shops and hobby store owners to promote this hobby and get some new people into it, as such, they could set up trade stands, which would help cover the cost of the venue.

I've been to a few of the train shows and they have been pretty nice, although a tad boring as you can only look at the layouts. With the slot car tracks, visitors can have a go on the slot car track (maybe for a small fee?) so i think it would be alot more enjoyable for them.

In any case i think this would be a great event and i would be happy to contribute anyway i can.

Rene.

An unmodified car is like a blank sheet of paper, aching to be drawn on.

Ren's 3 lane routed track with analogue pits and 2 car sudden death.

Geez this is out of control already !!!! :D

I have doubts something this elaborate can be organised in 6 weeks.... even thou it would be great.

How about for the first time we keep it in house, as in Auslot. We need a contact for each city (Assuming Bris / Syd / Melb) with maybe Newc ??? repete, slotmania ?

Other areas put your hands up too please, sorry to not list them all.

Each 'area contact' should be PM'ed by people on the board from that area who want to attend an event and collate all the local suggestions, what that group thinks that group is capable of doing. Each group organises its own thing for the same day.

Our racing group is racing on Fri night so I will suggest it then to those who attend, all other Bris based slotters welcomed, just PM or email me.

Maybe next year we can do it with a bit more planning and get halls, shops etc involved. Agree ? disagree ?

I will put my hand up as the Brisbane contact, need a volunteer for Sydney (Bump, your not busy I assume) and Eno in Melb I expect, also not busy.

Manic, hmcsat you two have been very quiet lately, Florida Slot, your coming too !

Just need a date.... Sat 3rd of December or would people prefer to wait till after Xmas ???

Great enthusiasm thou guys. Am proud of the people who contribute to this board.

Here's one for the 'secretary' to note.

There is a 6 lane track at Luddenham that could be used, for the Sydney 'locals'.

We'd need to make a $5each donation to the club for the use of the facilities (and as much track time as you can bare), but there are BBQs, tables, and stacks of room.

To save any dramas about wiring of the cars, we could run in reverse direction, which would put everyone on reasonably equal terms.

ludtrack01.jpg

Thanks to Bo for the pic.

:D

Steve K.

I would go with a Luddenham christmas type party for us Sydney guys.

As for Victoria Geds seems to be the place most guys like but I guess you fellas would have to organise something down there.

As for a date, not the 26th or 27th of November or the 3rd and 4th of December as I will be on holidays in Coffs Harbour. Unless of course you think I am a twat in which case pick on of those days.

Looks like you may have set the dates Vince and so nice of you to give us all a couple of options as well.

You walked into this one mate.

See you Saturday night or did I not tell you that the rest of us have reorganised the next race meet without telling you.

Just having a lend Vince could not resist with your post.

Charlie

Yep, twas an open day, and the first wash out in nearly 2 years. :lol:

The boat guys were rapt, as it looks like putting some water in their dam, but the r/c cars/planes and tether cars boys were pi$$ed. Some of them came in and played slot cars with us.

If you're driving past again next Sunday arvo, drop in.

<_<

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

Is anything happening with this Aussie Slot Car Day, things seem to have gone quiet.

If we have it at Luddenham, I'm planning to run a 'Porsche Cup' with 6 identical (near enough anyway) host cars.

How about running at least 2 identical races at each venue?

#1 - V8 Super Cars

#2 - <_< Apart from the V8s, what's the favourite class at your track?

:lol:

Steve K.

1/24 cars. Carreras or anything hardbody.

If I can find the right tyres, I'll bring a Tamiya King Cobra and a Hasegawa Alfa Romeo just for the nostalgia value (goes well with beer & BBQ).

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't