New Zealand

I Am The Walrus

Just back from 2 weeks in NZ.

My main observation... not sure why New Zealanders bother holidaying anywhere else in the world - absolutely beautiful country on both islands.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

We often go overseas just to mock other countries!!!

• Upvote 1

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Just back from 2 weeks in NZ.

My main observation... not sure why New Zealanders bother holidaying anywhere else in the world - absolutely beautiful country on both islands.

Any 'highlights' you care to share or places you visited that you'd recommend. My wife and I particularly like staying at Ahipara and driving 90 mile beach

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Not familiar with Ahipara - its probably spectacular.

We did 3 days on a yacht in Bay of islands - the words "Sub Tropical Paradise" spring to mind.

Also, the usual tourist spots of course - Rotorua, Queenstown, Arrowtown.

Did a great train trip from Dunedin into the hills - spectacular. And the drive from Greymouth through Arthurs Pass - also spectacular.

'Spectacular', 'Lovely, 'Wow!' 'Brilliant' and 'Oh my God' were well used descriptors on this trip.

Milford sound cruise/underwater world/kayak package is well worth it.

Queenstown gondola/luge package is great too.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

In a previous life I drove trains for a living and for a while lived in Central Otago and on 1 occasion had an opportunity to drive from Middlemarch to Dunedin, the same piece of track you enjoyed.

Glad you enjoyed a positive experience.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Yep, its draw dropping in places.

With 8 carriages in the consist, (note that railway term) there were only about 50 to 70 passengers in total.

Most of the booked seats were in the front 3 carriages.

I went to explore the train and found the last 2 carriages empty - since we had no caboose, this gave me a perfect view out the very back of the train - basically the driver's eye view in reverse.

When the steward found me I asked why nobody else was here since it gave the best view, he said, "Do you want me to tell them?"

By the way, the steward was Joe. Since he'd been on the line for 30 odd years I reckon you would have worked with him Wobble.

Edited by I Am The Walrus

(It wasn't me)

We're still taking refugees from "the lucky country" mate :)

- limited spaces though, we're a bit tight on our thatched huts, can't build them fast enough for the millionaire refugees from brexit, trump-dom, China and the like.

"West island" as we call it, has some nice stuff too, but you have to leave your pet spiders, overgrown lizards, cane toads, tassie devils, snakes, crocs, jellyfish and so on behind.

And you have to pass a character test - Would you give your favourite slot car to someone from your new club.

And a language test - repeat after me . . . . "fush an chups"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Btw, you've used too many vowels. Its "Fsh n Chps".

humble apologies, I stand corrected. :)

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 weeks later...