2017 Tasman Cup Round 1 Southern Loop

Stubbo

And to see who has the brightest car...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The first race has been run and won.

Slo1quick and I were the drivers. We ran two heats, each of which was 4.5 minutes duration giving a total race time of 9 minutes per car.

Stu will post up some comments a bit later on.

I did get a couple of photo's of the field on the track and will get them up a bit later on.

So here are the results for round 1 and the Tasmanian's were the class of the field.

There is a little typo in the results. The fastest lap is only 2 points not 3 so JB's score is 52. It will be corrected for the next race.

2017%20Tasman%20Cup%20Results%20Round%201.jpg

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Thanks guys.

Not a great start for me.

Looks like I may have gotten too much super glue in the motor bushing.

I was hoping I got most of it out.

Hi Alan,

Thanks to you & Stu for kicking off the 2017 series.

Well done to the usual suspects up on the steps, It looks like JB is going to be the man to beat again this year.

Personally I'm happy to see ol' Lex go up a couple of spots on qualifying and go a bit faster lap time wise.

Cheers, Alan

Manimmal, Your car just seemed a bit down. Maybe it will improve with more running.

Lenny, I really enjoyed your car. Stuck to the track like the proverbial to a blanket. Just not as quick as others but a really good drive.

Chas, your car was quite taily and just didn't handle the going all that well.

Shadow, a bit more testing next time. Still not too bad.

Alan Stubbings

Lenny, I really enjoyed your car. Stuck to the track like the proverbial to a blanket. Just not as quick as others but a really good drive.

I knew I should have dropped in that 18k motor. ;)

Thanks Stubbo. Sounds like those narrow Dart tyres I used. Cannot remember where I got the first ones. The car had performed well previously.

Must try and source some better ones for next year. None of the others I had would fit the 13" rims.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Good to be into the 2017 Tasman, from the results its going to be a top proxy with some very good cars (all ahead of me), Well done to the podium finishers, the usual suspects and looks like JB has a rocket, funny how some things never change.

Thanks Stubbo for putting this on again.

For me, this is my best result at Southern Loop, my fastest quali time and my fastest race lap time and my best lap score............and my best finish....8th.....why am I so pleased with 8th??

Thanks for getting this series started.

No real surprise at the top,having driven both cars I knew Johns car was quick and easy to drive on some tracks.

But almost 5 laps is a big margin, his car must have really suited your track.

Bit surprised with my car as it seemed well down on power during testing.

A tip of the hat to all those who finished in front of me yo.gif (there were a lot of them!) and commiserations to those who finished behind. Hopefully my #11 Cooper will find some track at which it can excel at some point in this series.

Old23

Thanks Stubbo on getting the Tasman under way, busy weekend with hosting a round of Ozrally too.Well done.

Congrats to the front runners and well done to all the entrants on their builds.

Apologies for being a bit slow getting these comments up.

Some observations from driving these gems and they are only my thoughts on driving on this track. They were all good performers in their own rite, and no doubt there are quite a few podium contenders on other tracks.All the cars look great and seem to be improving each year as a whole. Well done and good luck guys.

#1 Grand kids,Lola MkIV - Very smooth, really nice and consistant to drive good, good grip and power balance.

#2 Spoons, Ferguson - Very colorful. Nice runner with good brakes. Front hops under power which unsettles it some and likes to be on 2 wheels in corners.

#3 Slo, Brabham Climax- Fair runner, drags its arse a bit and dont know which pedal the brakes are on. Chassis is rigid and feels every bump.

#4 Lenny, Cooper T62- Fair grip, Good pace and holds on well. Can push this one.

#5 Chas, Brabham BT4- Smooth and hangs on well, bit taily, medium power and brakes still fun to drive and holds on well. Better with the solarbotic motor??

and maybe ask Stewart how he prepares the Dart tyres.

#6 Diff,Cooper T53- Big improver on last year. Smooth and steady runner, would bite in and tip.

#8 Batich,Brabham Climax- Very nice all round! If anything was limiting this one, I'd say brakes. But its prolly going faster.

#9 Phil, Lotus32B- Nice smooth runner. Good pace. Tends to bite a bit when drifting but very consistant. Typically Tassie!

#10 Terry, Brabham Climax- Good ecceleration, Good power and Great brakes. Grips well and tends to bicycle. Solid runner.

#11 Stewart, CooperT70/79- Smooth runner with really good grip, lacks brakes but a smooth car, Bit down on pace but typically Canadian. Nice car.

#13 Mrollingthunder, Cooper Ford- Solid runner with big brakes, good grip makes it cycle a bit, so harder push, another nice car.

#14 Keith, Lotus- Good solid smooth runner, Could do with more grip as such drifts readily, but holds slot really well. Be interested how you prepped the Gage tyres Keith?

#16 FPR7, Elfin- Good pace easy driver and forgiving. Lacks some grip here.

#22Paul's Slots, Honda272- Smooth medium power but twitchy, making it unpredictable.

#23Max Newcombe, Lotus 24 BRM- Holds slot well but feels a bit harsh makes grip a problem and lacks brakes and power seems down.

#30Dangermouse,BRM- Seems high geared which makes acceleration and braking come to the fore here, its a smooth runner though and belated congrats on your win at Chektenham last year.

#32 Scozz, Lotus25- Holds slot well which is good cause its a bit taily. A noisey runner

#Auntie69, Cooper T- Holds on well, needs more eccelleration, just cant get it up to pace.

#56Stubbo, Brabham Climax- Good solid runner, Larger diameter rears shows.

#78 Manimmal, Ferrari158- Trick chassis. Holds slot well and very smooth mid range eccelleration and lack of grip are evident on this track.

#100 Shadow Rusty, Emryson Climax- Holds slot well, felt faster than it was, drifts well making it a fun drive. Front hops under power, Nice build.

Trying a bigger font.

#1 Grand kids,Lola MkIV - Very smooth, really nice and consistant to drive good, good grip and power balance.

#2 Spoons, Ferguson - Very colorful. Nice runner with good brakes. Front hops under power which unsettles it some and likes to be on 2 wheels in corners.

#3 Slo, Brabham Climax- Fair runner, drags its arse a bit and dont know which pedal the brakes are on. Chassis is rigid and feels every bump.

#4 Lenny, Cooper T62- Fair grip, Good pace and holds on well. Can push this one.

#5 Chas, Brabham BT4- Smooth and hangs on well, bit taily, medium power and brakes still fun to drive and holds on well. Better with the solarbotic motor??

and maybe ask Stewart how he prepares the Dart tyres.

#6 Diff,Cooper T53- Big improver on last year. Smooth and steady runner, would bite in and tip.

#8 Batich,Brabham Climax- Very nice all round! If anything was limiting this one, I'd say brakes. But its prolly going faster.

#9 Phil, Lotus32B- Nice smooth runner. Good pace. Tends to bite a bit when drifting but very consistant. Typically Tassie!

#10 Terry, Brabham Climax- Good ecceleration, Good power and Great brakes. Grips well and tends to bicycle. Solid runner.

#11 Stewart, CooperT70/79- Smooth runner with really good grip, lacks brakes but a smooth car, Bit down on pace but typically Canadian. Nice car.

#13 Mrollingthunder, Cooper Ford- Solid runner with big brakes, good grip makes it cycle a bit, so harder push, another nice car.

#14 Keith, Lotus- Good solid smooth runner, Could do with more grip as such drifts readily, but holds slot really well. Be interested how you prepped the Gage tyres Keith?

#16 FPR7, Elfin- Good pace easy driver and forgiving. Lacks some grip here.

#22Paul's Slots, Honda272- Smooth medium power but twitchy, making it unpredictable.

#23Max Newcombe, Lotus 24 BRM- Holds slot well but feels a bit harsh makes grip a problem and lacks brakes and power seems down.

#30Dangermouse,BRM- Seems high geared which makes acceleration and braking come to the fore here, its a smooth runner though and belated congrats on your win at Chektenham last year.

#32 Scozz, Lotus25- Holds slot well which is good cause its a bit taily. A noisey runner

#Auntie69, Cooper T- Holds on well, needs more eccelleration, just cant get it up to pace.

#56Stubbo, Brabham Climax- Good solid runner, Larger diameter rears shows.

#78 Manimmal, Ferrari158- Trick chassis. Holds slot well and very smooth mid range eccelleration and lack of grip are evident on this track.

#100 Shadow Rusty, Emryson Climax- Holds slot well, felt faster than it was, drifts well making it a fun drive. Front hops under power, Nice build.

Alan Stubbings

Interesting chart Alan as regards car 14 did the rear tyres after gluing them then truing them on the tyre razor finished of with light wet and dry but did not remember to make them smaller in dia enough same with the fronts think the car is sitting a bit high do find P/G,s wear quite fast though.

thanks Alan

up 4 places from last year and 8 places on 2015 - that is a good sign, next year I could be top 5 :)

not a lot of change from last year - modified the guide and I am running PG tyres instead of my own - they may be a tad higher profile than last year they may hook up better :) the change from 2015 - 2016 was going from Vanski motor to SRP