A Couple Of Touring Cars

Capri-corn7

Our club has a new class for 60 -80s touring style cars. It's a little loose as we aren't too fussy but key thing is 18k scaley motor or equivalent & if pods are used we've deemed that's ok as long as they are tight.

I've been playing with a couple of favourites a Spirit 635CSI & a SRC Mark 1 Cologne Capri.

SuSgdjFl.jpg

yMLNdJ4l.jpg

This era & style of racing is up there for me so love seeing these two going a bit better on the track - they are both narrow so might not be too competitive but I'll enjoy running them regardless.

BMW was a long can which screwed in so I've simply screwed in an 18K S-can - will add support for the motor - but it doesn't appear to move. & tubed front axle.

LVkZ0oNl.jpg

Needed to turn down the rear wheels for inserts

evOXp0Fl.jpg

But on a hunch it turned out the Ronal covers are a separate part. Gentle pressure popped it. So will pack the rear wheels and simply add them on top.

gONsEQpl.jpg

The Capri body I got on it's own from a Pendle's sale & recently I got a shapeways chassis for it . My first experience with one of those and it's been a good one. I had been stocking up on slot.it bits and actually a whole entire car donated it's pod & running gear + wheels. Plus an 18K from the parts bin. I wasn't sure on the wheels as a little too modern but they are growing on me.

XzKDhDGl.jpg

Only thing I had to do was file out the front axle area as that was tight. Has grub screw height setting and they went in fine. Body posts line up so touch wood, no issues thus far.

Next step is the problematic mounting posts for the BMW - and vac formed insides as both the s-cans foul the standard tub tray interiors.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

That Chassis looks a hell of a lot better than the SRC one, which is almost impossible to get running good. COG looks really good.

I'm in the process of designing a 3D print chassis for an SRC body (very early stages) so would be interested to hear how the shapeways goes.

Edit,

Meant to ask how inline fits under body, or are you replacing interior with lexan.

Edited by ZeGas

Thanks guys

Edit,

Meant to ask how inline fits under body, or are you replacing interior with lexan.

Yep - Thanks to Munter I now have another Datsun 240Z lexan interior for the Capri and another Valiant Charger one for the BMW.

Datsun tray fits fine. The biggest problem was the body posts in the BMW are part of the interior tray, right under the dash area.

XWPwdqsl.jpg

So there might have been an easier way but I attached a piece of card to the inside of the bonnet to mount the body posts to.

Supported the glue with JB Weld.

Tmyk6rzl.jpg

Trimmed the Valiant tray it it fitted perfectly. The dash kicks up and sits on the piece of card and width was spot on.

Qw9l6vsl.jpg

0K0BEjil.jpg

Next job is paint and a bit of detail.

looks like those interiors will work OK.

yep one down, one to go. reused original roll cage but cut it a bit low... & a Munter resin driver lost his open faced helmet head for the original which is handily pinned on...

7bbXzCjl.jpg

MUwMg0Xl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got these two finished, and ready for racing.

A basic vac form tray for the Capri clears the inline motor in the new 3D printed chassis.

VQScouNl.jpg

feD1WHhl.jpg

Got the BMW's wheel cover packed out, and glued and trued all tyres. NSR ultragrips on BMW which I lean to, but all I had to hand for the Capri were some Slot.it N22s

ahX8wgll.jpg

Initial testing showed both cars handle well but feel quite different. I'd say not all parts bin 18k motors are the same but the Capri's feels more responsive. adding a little weight behind the guide helped settle it a little and on my short tight track it goes well.

The Beemer feels more planted and trust worthy but a little slower. Times showed that it was close and running just behind the Ford, but the more laps I ran the closer the times got. Finally winding the attack up I could get similar times.

So pretty pleased with outcome. Will be good to see how they go at club meets. Best thing for me is just watching them go round. 2 of my favourites, at the moment.

STXcs2jl.jpg

Edited by Capri-corn7

• 3 weeks later...