Springbok Racer

Guys,

The next interclub Lexan GT3 team race meeting in SEQ has been announced and will be held at Mark's Bonogin Valley Raceway. It will be held on the 15th of July and Mark will let us have all the details. It might also be an idea to follow this on the BVR Facebook page. Here is a link...

https://m.facebook.com/BonoginValleyRaceway

From what I hear, we should again have entries from down south with Alan bringing some of his boys up from Coff's Harbour to race.

Look forward to this one - it should be another close encounter!!!

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Some BREAKING NEWS - Andrew has requested that we make another small change to the rules for this class. In the interest of ensuring a level playing field when it comes to getting the performance differences even closer (based on available brands and sizes of RTR and replacement Magic rubber donuts) than it is already - a MAXIMUM rear tyre diameter of 27.5mm is being introduced.

This change will be incorporated into the basic regulations as explained in the very first post in this thread.

Andrew has assured me that these changes are not simply for the sake of change, but intended to help arrive at the most fair and popular use of the rules, across Australia. They will be locked soon after the proposed event at MR Slotcar in August. By then we should have had enough chance to get all the track variable worked out and how all the various body and chassis options have stood up within the regulations. Then we will follow and annually updated regulation pattern - like all the other stable and successful classes.

Thanks for helping us make this an even better class than what it has already proved to be.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Here is another one...

20170628_183137.jpg

Paul Stokell arrived last night with this new McLaren and promptly drove it into 4th place on it's maiden run.

Well done mate, superb creation and fantastic driving.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

Huge GT3 enduro weekend at BVR coming up. A couple of boys joining in from down South and the Narangba guys coming down too.

Total of 10 teams entered for the two enduro's on Saturday. It will be good to see how it all turns out and compares to the inaugural event a couple of months ago at Narangba Raceway.

Since then the cars and drivers have made good progress and I think we will see some serious battles across the field.

Paul Stokell has generously donated 2x5 lap Lotus experiences at his advance driving school for the wining team. How good is that?

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

What an amazing Enduro festival we had yesterday at BVR. Mark has done some reporting on his FB page and you can have a look

https://m.facebook.com/BonoginValleyRaceway

The field was packed with great GT3 race cars and represented Andrew's creations well... The top three at the front. Two McLarens and a Lambo (all three the podium teams ran the RedRoo v3.3 chassis).

20170715_213813.jpg

Here are the eventual grinning team Ash (Team boss) with Andrew (GT3 class creator) Bruce (hired trigger team mate) and Mark (BVR host)..

20170715_214843.jpg

....and the grand prizes of 2 x 5 lap Lotus driving experiences being presented to the winning team by multiple 1:1 Australian Champion Paul Stokell (I might add that Paul and Garry Johnson were second in the beautiful Valentino Rossi #46 McLaren - built and prepared by Paul)...

20170715_214726.jpg

Awesome class, close racing, great mateship and fantastic enjoyment.

Cheers,

Jan

My first drive in a while and my first drive of a GT3. Cars are brilliant, motor, chassis, weight and body combination makes for very fast cars that are a dream to drive.

Very pleased with a podium running with Paul Stockell, had the lead for most of the race but Ash and Bruce were too good.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Thanks Mark for organising the weekends racing. The Results show just how easy it is to get a car going in this class.

It was great to see local racers Ash and Bruce beat some of the best racers in the country with their own build, Paul Stockell although fairly new to slotcars also built his own Red Roo and teaming up with Garry again showed you dont need a whole lot of build experiance or secret squirrel stuff to make these cars work. As Gary said they just seem to have the right amount of power and handling to work.

I think this class will go a long way and the Melbourne event will really showcase how these cars perform.

Hi guys,

Please take note of a small addition, which has been added by Andrew, to the body specs in the first post of this thread. It relate to the engine detail that should form part of the Ferrari, Audi and McLaren. The interiors supplied for these three cars should be supplied with this detail included as a seperate piece. This detail fits under the rear window and must be installed regardless of the rear window being painted or not. If you did not receive this detail part, please send me a PM and I will pass this on to Andrew.

Cheers,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Al,

Basically it is an 'open' chassis class (see post #1 for basic specs). That mean you can make your own or modify any commercial chassis etc. Most guys are running the Plafit or Scholer type chassis, a few are getting exotic imports from Fola or Do-Slot and others, like myself and Garry J are running our own designs which we also sell to interested guys. Here are some photo's of my chassis, the inner secrets :

IMG-20170505-_WA0004.jpg

..and what you see when you pick the car up and sneak a peek:

20170505_210058.jpg

Just joking....you are welcome to ask and I hope I know the answers...LOL

Cheers,

Jan

It probably has.. he painted it silver. :lol:

Hi Kim,

Can you explain that trick, must be one you've perfected in secret (joking)? Silver painted carbon - sounds like the multiple world champion (a few years ago) that presented painted carbon parts in stead of aluminium ... always wondered why he was called 'cheater. Thought it was because he went back to the track after it had closed; cleaned the track and then set up his car to the track condition.....and won the next day.

Actually, I only use carbon front axles to give the car the balance I need. If I have a choice I don't use them as they distort very easily and could be a problem to get out some times. Anyway, on classes with 13mm rear tyres we don't need so much rear weight bias to make track contact as we would with wider tyres.

Cheers,

Jan

That's a badass lambo.

Agree Chris - look forward to seeing that one in Melbourne next month. Great job Ian, well done. These GT3's are so nice when they are painted and decaled to look the real deal - beats a painted yogurt cup every time.

Cheers,

Jan

I must admit I'm a bit sus about Carbon axles to Jan... The last couple of times I used them I found they seemed to "swell" and jam in the ballraces. This was for the front axle so not good as I usually like to set up the car with a small amount of "side slop.

And agree.. would'nt be game to use them in the rear, just tightening the grub screw seems to distort them.

As for the former world champs - did'nt think paint would stick that well to a carbon axle!

Hi guys,

Let's hear from guys racing these. I know many bodies have been sent all over the country during the past couple of months. Quite a few of my RedRoo v3.3's are also out there, so racing must be happening.

On the local front here in SEQ, the racing is fast and tight. From where we started lap times have dropped by 2 to 3 tenths and more guys are now finishing within a lap or less from the top.

Cheers,

Jan

Yes it's interesting Jan.. quiet the opposite has happened to what one might expect for an open chassis class... Racers are able to achieve instant results because the cars are so good.

When we run "basic classes" like Mini z and Scaleauto we spend huge amounts of time trying all sorts of various ways to try and get these cars to a level that will get them on the podium - a tough job for newbies, the useless and the old :ph34r:

When we run the GT3's the chassis they have already been designed, developed and manufactured by race proffessionals to a level that enables anyone to assemble a car and be at the pointy end just putting them together as intended. New racers to our group love em!

Edited by axman