Hi guys,

As some of you are already aware - a new lexan GT3 class has been conceived in SEQ. In late 2016, Andrew Bartholomew (of Narangba Raceway fame), initiated talks around the creation of this class and subsequently got down to making the molds for racing in this class. There are nine different bodies available from Andrew right now - so get your orders in. The body kits include the only homologated rear wing and a light weight interior (which is not homologated as guys may want to have more detailed interiors). BTW, Patto's have heaps of liveries for the GT3's too.

Between Garry Johnson (Birkdale Raceway), Mark Stockwell (Bonogin Valley Raceway), Andrew Bartholomew (Narangba Raceway) and myself (Ecurie Elite.au) a ruleset has been agreed.

So if you would like to join us and share the experience.....

images_8.jpg

...using bodies coming from Andrew's molds...like this one...

image000003.jpg

Andrew's GT3 creations measure up as follows:

20170717_162443.jpg

Please note, the wing supplied together with the body from Andrew, is generic and MUST be used (all the GT3's will run the same rear wing). The supplied interior can be substituted for a more scale one should the builder prefer.

....running the following (basic) chassis specifications:

Open chassis but maximum 78.0mm main plate width - like a Plafit SLP2 with 18D main plate. (You can basically use any model car chassis, even make it yourself or ask Garry Johnson or myself for an exotic option).

Maximum spur, front 80mm and rear 81mm.

21mm rims front and rear.

Minimum front tyre diameter 25mm, minimum front tyre width 6mm.

Rear tyres diameters; 26.0mm minimum and 27.5mm maximum, maximum rear tyre width 13mm.

Minimum total car weight 160g

Motor SRP 25L (ask at your local raceway - if they care to stock it - or order it from me).

SR181_J53000_X_600x600_2x.jpg

Gearing M50 11/12:44 only.

Polar length is open.

Minimum ride height 1.0mm front and rear at the start of racing (never less than 0.4mm at the rear during or after the race)

....then please post your beauties here, this is the first one (Ferrari) off the assembly line in Brisbane...

Ferrari_GT3.jpg

....and the second one, a Merc

IMG_20170327_211645.jpg

Followed by a Lambo...

IMG_20170327_214910.jpg

...and a new addition, the Camaro

IMG_20170508_211747.jpg

Please stay with the spirit of SCALE modelling and resist painting up 'yogurt cups'. Your effort to represent an actual 1:1 car will be spot-on.

Enjoy,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Hi guys,

After some testing on different tracks it has been suggested by Andrew that we should allow a choice of 11 or 12T pinions. On the shorter tracks the 11T might work better, whereas on the tracks with long straights the 12T might be nice. (The relevant change has been made in the first post above). We'll leave the choice to everyone and look forward to getting some feedback on your preferences.

Enjoy and remember to show us your creations here.

Cheers,

Jan

Last night we had a preview of the cars on track. The Narangba boys brought their beauties down to Ecurie Elite.au for a show'n go.

20170329_231106.jpg

These cars lapped easily in the 5.7's and we even saw a high 5.6. No doubt, with fine tuning and driving adjustment the end result will be exactly what we were hoping for - slightly slower than the FLM's and OAPR LMP's.

I might add that one of the cars had an 11T pinion fitted, which on my track felt very good. Of course the tyre diameter will come into your personal preference.

Local driver, Grant had a Lambo running and it was pretty quick. Unfortunately he had it in pieces for ongoing upgrade maintenance, before I could grab a shot to post here. Most of the cars used the Plafit SLP2 chassis with the big 18D cutout. All the SRP25L motors were performing well and evenly matched.

Andrew has suggested an inaugural race for this class on the 6th of May at his Narangba venue. Confirmation and details will follow because many guys are still building cars and weighing up chassis options. Watch this space.

Cheers,

Jan

Jason,

We have to be a bit patient, a bunch of guys only got their bodies last week and with Patto doing decals weekly, the process is a little slow. Also as mentioned before, guys are sitting back to see what chassis options are working and others are busy modifying and making their chassis. I am sure we will start seeing everyone's creations during and later in April.

Cheers,

Jan

All good Jan, just curious what the bodies look like. I have been following the European guys running GFK bodies and I can't fathom paying hundreds of dollars for a car body. So to hear Andrew has taken the time to create these bodies is fantastic news.

Looks great Warrick. I'm a massive Corvette fanboy so the C7 will be high on the list of first bodies to purchase.

Cheers

Another one, this time Simon's new Nissan

image000000_3.jpg

Looking good mate, let us know what you have under it!

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

Andrew has asked me to let everyone know about the inaugural race meeting for this class at Narangba Raceway on the 6th of May. It will be a team race, with teams being made up on the day and the race endurance decided too, depending on numbers. Anyone wanting to participate can let Andrew or myself know. His race venue will open around 3pm on the day with racing starting at 4pm. There will be a short break inbetween for a snag/hotdog or two, where after the race will continue and finish early evening.

Come over and see/experience these great cars together with the great bunch of blokes at Narangba. All the current chassis setups and ideas should be on display and any questions you may have will be answered about this class.

See you there.

Jan

Hi all,

Last night at Narangba the club guys ran the first club race with these GT3's. Andrew reports that they were all into the 5.6's and that the first 8 cars ended on the same lap. How close is that!!!

image000000_6.jpg

Apparently the Corvette took out the first win, but a Hurracan posted the fastest lap. It would seem that the specification for this class is spot-on. More than 4 different chassis variants were used and all the cars handled very well.

This class is going to be big - get behind it.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

This coming Saturday, 6th of May, will see the official inaugural Lexan GT3 class team race at Andrew's Narangba Raceway. The excitement is building and new cars are appearing fast. Here is a new rather striking Lambo...(the rear wing might be a touch too high)...

IMG_20170424_215836.jpg

...and a very nicely done new Bentley.

IMG_20170424_215848.jpg

There is also this one....I think Simon has something to do with it...LOL

IMG_20170501_223635.jpg

Let the fun carry on, what a great new class.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

Well I have managed to finish my own GT3 just in time for tomorrow's inaugural race for this new exciting class. It is a Lambo Hurracan and finished in my personal favourite livery....yes I know, boring, but I simply cannot move past a GULF cladded race car....

20170505_160508.jpg

I have developed a special variation of my RedRoo OAPR chassis and hope to transplant some of that DNA into this class...

20170505_210058.jpg

But as the saying goes, 'the proof is in the eating' and that will be under race conditions.

Cheers,

Jan

Great racing at Narangba last weekend with the inaugural GT3 Race. I arrived late to find myself teamed up with Jan and his beautiful new Gulf race car. Lots of new cars and even more racers had the organisers re group us into teams of three drivers for the Afternoon event and teams of two drivers for the after dinner evening event.

Jan and I were lucky to get local racer Sean in our team as the third driver and were even more impressed when he took the lead in the first few minutes of the race. Jan's car was really good.. the long can SRP had lots of punch and brakes, that combined with a car that loved the twisty stuff helped us win the race. After dinner for the 2nd event Jan and I teamed up again. This time the racing was even closer, the locals were getting even quicker and by now Jans car had lost a bit of tyre diameter ( = top end speed). I don't have race sheets but when racing stopped local drivers Andrew and Simon were first on 417 laps, Sean and Richard 2nd on 417 laps, Me and Jan 3rd on 417, and another local team Norm and Jeff 4th on 416 laps... yep, it was that close.. only 1.4 laps separated the top 4 teams! Great racing, all different bodies ( a bloody Volvo won) so needless to say I went and bought a new GT3 Body and I'm starting my build.

Big thanks to Andrew for putting on the event, Jan for giving me a drive and all the guys that came from far and wide to make it a great afternoon / evening of racing...

I'm sure someone will post some pics of the cars and give a few more details..

Edited by axman

Hi Kim,

Yes, thanks for joining up with me. You and Sean certainly showed how much potential my new car has. Pity I did not have time to fine-tune the Lambo, but next time I will get the rear tyre diameter spot-on at Narangba. Then again, beating the two Narangba top guns (Andrew and Simon) on home turf will never be easy.

Even so, this class is a very well designed and specified class. Hats off to Andrew. The variety of chassis and bodies that work well is fantastic. There is no need to spend on an 'exotic' chassis (like my new RedRoo v3.3) to win. In the second race on Saturday (as you reported) the winning car used a Plafit SLP2.

20170506_191740.jpg

Alas, allow me to correct some of your reporting. The top four places were (BTW you and I came 4th):

1st = 417.54 laps, 2nd = 417.37 laps, 3rd = 417.05 laps and 4th = 416.36 laps. So only 1.18 laps covered the top 4 places. HOW CLOSE WAS THAT!!!!

I think it will not be long before we have another inter club race in Queensland AND hopefully not too long before we can have some national endurance team racing in this class.

Cheers,

Jan

Another one.....

This time it is an Aston WIP from Rick at Narangba.

aston_spider5.jpg

...can't wait to see it on the track. What a great class, close racing and beautiful cars.

Cheers,

Jan

Nice car Rick.. this class has really got under the skin up here with local racers.

Dont know why but with Andrew's lexan bodies most chassis seem to work and how much you spend is not the key to winning.

Edited by axman

Another GT3 in the work....

IMG_20170604_170052.jpg

...Andrew is absolutely on a roll here. It will be good if guys will place some orders with him and help him recover some of his investment. This class is proving to be a fast and competitive experience, with everyone having a chance to win. Check out the rules (in the first post on this thread) and build yourself a Lexan GT3.

If anyone is having a problem trying to get the bodies, the SRP 25L motors or any chassis parts - please send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the right guys.

Cheers,

Jan

Great work by all involved. These bodies look great and Im looking forward to getting these two on the track some time in the future. Still a bit to do but having a break for the MCN and then back into it. Not sure of the Ferrari if I was marshalling but my favourite livery from Le Mans. The Porsche looks good and will have to add one to the collection when available.

IMG_4173_zpsaqbpkz7g.jpg

Hi Michael,

They look promising - especially the Gulf liveried McLaren....LOL. No doubt they will be finished to your usual high standard.

Cheers,

Jan

.....a few more are appearing. These were racing last night at Ecurie Elite.au The first one is Ashley's 488 which was painted by Stewy - detail is very good and the general performance was promising:

20170607_225213.jpg

However, what can be said about this one, Sean's Jap livery Audi is simply exquisite....

20170607_225155.jpg

...now check out the other side, notice the wheel inserts are matched to the colour on each side of the car

20170607_225205.jpg

...then to put the cherry on top, look at the engine detail, just beautiful

20170607_225232.jpg

Unfortunately I did not get a photo of a few other new ones, but will try next time. In the meantime please post your own GT3 creations on this thread. We know a few are being built in WA and NSW atm.

Enjoy this great new class. BTW, we raced them last night in combo with the OAPR LMP's and as predicted the speed difference was between 2 and 3 tenths of a second in laptime - making for a typical GT3 v LMP match up. Not much on the straights (LMP's being geared 11:44 and GT3's 12:44), but the LMP's showing their superior handling through the infield sections.

Cheers,

Jan

Great night last night.. thanks Jan and everyone that came. There must have been about 20 drivers there last night having a great time.

Jan set up each team to run 1/2 the race with LMP's and half with the GT3's. It was great.. at any one time there was 2 LMP's and 2 Gt3's racing together.. It was nice to see the three mains clubs in Brisbane all competing and racing the same classes with such a variety of chassis.

The photo's Jan took of Sean's Jap livery Audi just doesn't do it justice.. The car was stunning.. Sean applied Patto's stickers to the inside and placed them so well it was seamless in appearance and an absolute work of art.

Hi guys,

Last night we ran the first GT3 club sprint race at BVR. 9 cars on the grid with some being first time runs and some new drivers....

IMG-20170615-_WA0000.jpg

Some cars were still WIP and a few will need to improve their scale appearance, but for most it was a delight to see how fast and well handling these cars are. Everyone agreed that they will race very well together with the OAPR LMP's (if we ever decide to have such a major event) - the lap times were within 2 to 3 tenths of everyone's own LMP times.

The most amazing observation was how few deslots there were during the whole race - everyone could drive the cars fast and competitively.

This class, like the OAPR LMP's, is going to produce nail biting racing and competition. It was also announced last night that BVR will host the next interclub GT3 team event (similar to the one held recently at Narangba), on the 15th of July. More information will be put out later, but suffice to say - anyone with a Lexan GT3 in SEQ or Northern NSW will be welcome to join in.

Cheers,

Jan