Fitted with bargain chassis

The SCX Ferrari 599

34035135145_25d1fc0405_c.jpg

33994195036_8e7c5cda6e_c.jpg

The Ninco Mosler,need to find a lightweight cockpit

34035182755_c5d923b0d2_c.jpg

33994256976_fbe3cd1e27_c.jpg

33192217494_261d06f571_c.jpg

The Scalextric Calibra need to find a cockpit and make a mould for transparent windows

33905470621_f79fd629a4_c.jpg

33994290326_ce70b105cd_c.jpg

33994270106_ef091ce801_c.jpg

And the Merc need to find a cockpit and the mould I made a few years ago for the windows

34035214815_ac39b0fcee_c.jpg

33905376691_f5c2762a8c_c.jpg

Edited by alexis in greece

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Perfect timing Alexis. We're starting a new DTM class for local racing and I have some Calibra and Mercedes bodies. Time to build a few cars to take on the Slot.it Alfa 155.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

I'm not much of an anglewinder or long can fan so stocked up on these chassis's primarily for the parts - but decided to work up a parts bin Scalextric Camaro body to get one on the track. Wheelbase was perfect and I dremmeled out the wheel arches to give it that sportsman look. These chassis's are 52mm at their widest point and there isn't much room to reduce that width if you want to keep the floating pod. To get around this i knotched the body in front of the rear tyres to get the chassis flat under the car.

cam1_zpsdtwxj4fm.jpg

Bracing the motor to the rear bushes with piano wire greatly improved handling. In my book there aren't many cars where bracing the rear doesn't give you a smoother drive and reduce shudder under braking.

cam2_zps1celzhig.jpg

On the track it was smooth with great straight line speed but I struggle to get fast times from long cans on my track. Happy though - and the low slung Camaro looked sweet on the track.

Podiums are for short people.

Nice job. Got to love the JB Weld.

How did you mount it to the body?

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

Because of the relatively narrow Camaro body I needed to use front and rear body posts. I have just started using wall plugs instead of styrene rod. I like how the glue gets more grip on the body post using them.

mount_zpssv6j79dm.jpg

The downside is that the hole to screw into is wider than I'd like - so you have to use fatter screws. I am going to ream out the hole tonight and slip in some stripped wire insulation. That will sort it.

Because of the relatively narrow Camaro body I needed to use front and rear body posts. I have just started using wall plugs instead of styrene rod. I like how the glue gets more grip on the body post using them.

The downside is that the hole to screw into is wider than I'd like - so you have to use fatter screws. I am going to ream out the hole tonight and slip in some stripped wire insulation. That will sort it.

I have been using these too until recently I discovered they also make a slightly narrower white one that is a good size for most standard Scaley screws.

ps Camaro looks mean

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I've got a Ninco 1 Mustang that is a deserving candidate for one of these chassis as it's a real wimp and needs a bit of attitude. Wheelbase is spot on but it'll need a bit of 'cut n tuck' like the Camaro to make it work.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I have a fly Brumo's Porsche daytona prototype body that is a perfect fit

so will set that up after I get some other projects out of the way

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I have been using an Avant LMP for some years and they go well, so ordered a few of these.

I also have a few bargain Panoz bodies that I brought very cheap for the motors!

So it looks like I will run an Avant Panoz in the next LMP Series!

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Hi,

This is the start of my first build with the Avant chassis, the Back to the Future Delorien, which was almost a perfect match for it:

DeLorian1.jpg

DeLorian2.jpg

DeLorian3.jpg

DeLorian4.jpg

DeLorian5.jpg

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

Found another 2 bodies that the chassis will fit almost perfectly, without alteration to the chassis. The Charger is one of Phil's resins I hadn't got around to yet, and the other is an Eldon Mustang, which needs some serious restoration. It was the only one too narrow to fit the wheels inside the body, but I am happy with how it looks anyway, they only stick out about 1mm. Not sure if I will eventually try and fit narrower wheels or not.

More_Scratchbuilds1.jpg

More_Scratchbuilds2.jpg

More_Scratchbuilds3.jpg

By the way, I found the perfect tyres for these wheels, from the old Scalextric Spanish BMW M1 and Ferrari GTO. The spanish cars had wider channels on the wheels, which make them a better fit than the other Scalextric GT cars like the F40 and Diablo etc. None of the other tyres I tried fit as snuggly, and the front tyres are narrower than the rears, which means you don't need to trim them down.

I have used my own polyurethane copies on these cars, but I only have one mould of each tyre at present, so can't produce any volume, although I guess I could make more moulds. But I am sure MJK and the like have equivalents of these particular tyres.

Cheers,

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

I have had a couple of bites at these and went back for more - but it looks like the cupboard is bare. Bugger. Anyone find an active source?

I have had a couple of bites at these and went back for more - but it looks like the cupboard is bare. Bugger. Anyone find an active source?

Yeah, I showed my mate Peter one of these and he couldn't believe how cheap they were, and asked me to purchase some more on his behalf. Unfortunately they ran out before I could put in another order. Bugger!!

I am keeping an eye out for more.

Graeme

~~~~~~

My Website

What MJK Rear tyres fit onto the hubs that are supplied with the Chassis? Slot.it 20x10's, MJK 4213? Need to grab a set for a fellow racer.

Brooksy

Nice

I just got me some,

bloody great deal these chassis's thanks to

Who ever put us onto them

Just had a look and thanks MAC

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

What MJK Rear tyres fit onto the hubs that are supplied with the Chassis? Slot.it 20x10's, MJK 4213? Need to grab a set for a fellow racer.

Brooksy, those tyres should fit although there may be a slightly noticeable bulge in the center. I've used Slot.It and NSR tyres on them and they don't take too much sanding to come right.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Gday

4205's are the closest MJK fit, the rim is 16.5mm major step, 14mm minor step & 5mm step width, 10mm total width.

Brooksy, those tyres should fit although there may be a slightly noticeable bulge in the center. I've used Slot.It and NSR tyres on them and they don't take too much sanding to come right.

Gday

4205's are the closest MJK fit, the rim is 16.5mm major step, 14mm minor step & 5mm step width, 10mm total width.

I'd thought so, but i don't own one .... yet. cheers guys for the heads up.

Brooksy

Pleasure. Here's another one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332158227039?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Look familiar? They're the real thing.

Went to order some...

And this is what I get...

This item doesn't post to Australia

:(