Tim Tyler

2018 Austral-European Championships?

Some of the guys I know from Europe who race ScaleAuto and LMP have been talking about making an International trip next year, in and around February. These guys are excellent drinkers and can drive a slot car sometimes.

What would it take to organise a championship series in February/March next year? For sure the "jewel in the crown" would be the Sydney race at Hornsby. Could we then have two further races in Queensland in quick succession? For sure Ecurie Elite (Jan's place) would be at the top of the list, and also Narangba or Mark's track. Or Garry's.

What do you guys think? These crazy Dutchmen and Germans are prepared to come half-way across the world. Do you think we can make a worthy championship?

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

Beer and Slotcars ! Count me in , you had me at beer ! Hopefully it can get sorted and happen . Follow some of the blokes in Europe and to have them out here would be awesome.

Cheers Pagey

That's the spirit, guys!

Right now we have strong interest from three (perhaps four) guys. They want to come for about 3 weeks in March. SO, let's open the floor to suggestions as to what kind of show we can put on for them.

Although a little bit early to committ but we're looking at March 2018. Would love to come over and have a fair taste of downunder whilst racing with you guys. We'll bring as much as we can to play around with....

Willem

Here some of the guys preparing and racing the 24-HRS World Endurance Series in Spain 2015 with Scaleauto's...one of the best events you could wish for and Tim will join us this year.

https://goo.gl/photos/fw3JL3xXENpuLYYu8

You couldn't get a better driver on your team then Timmy... Can't wait to hear your story Tim

Could we then have two further races in Queensland in quick succession? For sure Ecurie Elite (Jan's place) would be at the top of the list, and also Narangba or Mark's track. Or Garry's.

What do you guys think? These crazy Dutchmen and Germans are prepared to come half-way across the world. Do you think we can make a worthy championship?

Tim,

While the tracks you mention are great, I think it would be nice to offer something more than 4 lanes....pretty sure I wouldn't travel to Europe to race a 4 lane track no matter how good it is.

Red Racer has one of the best 8 lane tracks in the country, should supporting that business be considered?

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Down here in Vic Mobile Raceways should have a nice Euro style 8 lane by then as well ???

Race Ya Later

Jason

Hi guys,...just to get you an idea of what we're looking for besides the drinks and atmosphere and weather. We're looking at a stay of minimal 2 weeks probably 2 and a 1/2. If we could do let say 1 big scaleauto event and 2 GT/LMP's that would be great but any mixture will do. When Tim is with us in Spain in July this year we will have a pretty good view on his talents:):) in difficult circumstances with the 4 x 8 lane circuits of each 57 meters in hot and sweaty conditions.

A bit of flying around Australia couldn't hurt either.

cheers

Willem

Could we then have two further races in Queensland in quick succession? For sure Ecurie Elite (Jan's place) would be at the top of the list, and also Narangba or Mark's track. Or Garry's.

Tim,

While the tracks you mention are great, I think it would be nice to offer something more than 4 lanes....pretty sure I wouldn't travel to Europe to race a 4 lane track no matter how good it is.

Red Racer has one of the best 8 lane tracks in the country, should supporting that business be considered?

- Cam

Agree with you Cam (and Jason). Another option that should be good to include must be the new track at Mr. Slotcar down in Victoria. I am sure the visitors would love to race all the way up the east coast. Three races; Victoria (Mr.Slotcar), NSW (HSC) and Qld (RedRacer) - all big, raceway based, tracks.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Allright gents, the spirit is high and we're now expanding the lobby to the US and Canada just a bit. Having said that the key will be the racing dates as everything else depends on that. Fortunately we've still got enough time to book us the right flights. Keep us posted on the dates. If we plan this right this might become the biggest modelcar trip the world has ever witnessed:):):):)

Thanks for the link Willem to the 24 hour Scaleauto event. Whats the really nice 6 lane track in the pics with the Red raised drivers panel?

Also, really interesting to see all three classes you nominated to run are long cans... Australia is a bit slow to take up on the larger motor, fortunately we run them in LMP and of course scale auto.

We are in the process of launching a GT Class with them also.. similar rules to your's but with lexan bodies to reduce costs. Looking forward to racing against you guys.

Regards,

Kim Axton

Thanks for the link Willem to the 24 hour Scaleauto event. Whats the really nice 6 lane track in the pics with the Red raised drivers panel?

Also, really interesting to see all three classes you nominated to run are long cans... Australia is a bit slow to take up on the larger motor, fortunately we run them in LMP and of course scale auto.

We are in the process of launching a GT Class with them also.. similar rules to your's but with lexan bodies to reduce costs. Looking forward to racing against you guys.

Regards,

Kim Axton

Hello Kim,

There is couple of curcuits you see in the pics. The red raised one is in Ingualada (spain). The club is called ICAR. This is one of the best European circuits in terms of shape, drivability, speed and driver technique. It's just 2 KM away from CricCrac, the company who manufactures Scaleauto. The other 6 laner on the pics with the seats is in Moers (Germany). A very challenging and demanding circuit of top quality and even for some experienced modelcar racers too difficult to handle...no kidding...

Engine discussions go on for ever. The general tendency is that the cars get lighter every your and rules follow. For the scaleauto we've been using the longcan endurance engine for 5 years in a row now. The weight will go down to 200 grams this year. We prepare them for every championship (we run them in using a programmed sequence of voltages, we zap them and we throw away the winers, the low and high rev's).

Each racer buys 1 engine at the beginning of the championship and needs to mount it with supervision of the organisation. After each race they have to unmount them and give them back. This procedure is applied to all larger events in Europe with a few exceptions.

In the LMP/GT series there's 2 types of engines being used at the moment. The SRP series (30K, 35K, 40K). When cold they run quite fast but they all run hot in a short time and then it's all over. In Germany and now in Holland as well we use the JT Hawk engine more and more. This engine revs almost twice as high as the SRP's and it has way more torgue compared to the SRP's and it will keep it's performance curve for a much longer period.

cheers

willem

....I see Gabé is getting grey, starting to look like a professor. Will be good to catch up with some guys we met in Trier some years ago.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Another option that should be good to include must be the new track at Mr. Slotcar down in Victoria. I am sure the visitors would love to race all the way up the east coast. Three races; Victoria (Mr.Slotcar), NSW (HSC) and Qld (RedRacer) - all big, raceway based, tracks.

And the Great Man once again puts things in a nutshell. Nice work, Jan. :) :) :)

Can we have feedback from you guys about this idea? I imagine that we should use the Hornsby/NSW race as our anchor point date wise, and make a Victoria race the week before, and Queensland the week after. So how about this?

Victorian Race: 17 & 18 February 2018, Mobile Raceways

NSW Race: 24 & 25 February 2018, Hornsby,

Queensland Race: 3 & 4 March 2018, Red Racer.

If these dates look good, then we need to start talking to the Raceway owners.

Hi All, I have spoken the the Brisbane Club Captains, Andrew from Narangba, Jan from Ecurie Elite, Mark from BVR and Garry from Birkdale re support for these proposed events. I have also Spoken to Tony at Red Racer.

The general consensis is the usual suspects will trek down to Sydney for their annual pilgrimage to Sydney for the anchor event at Hornsby and enjoy meeting up and racing with the "Euro's" for this event.

For the follow up event Tony at Red Racer is up for it and all the Brisbane clubs would be keen to support the event.

At this stage it is unlikely many of the Brisbane guys would support the Melbourne leg of the series but their are some serious drivers down south that can can carry the baton against the euro's.

I'm thinking Tim's idea for the Melbourne event prior to Hornsby is a good idea as the S.A. drivers may consider attending on their trek north to Hornsby.

Classes at this stage: Scaleauto, LMP, and the V8's, same as we had this year.

Maybe a separate trophy: Euro/Australian Challenge .. The best team score secures it. Teams could drop their worst score, that way if you dont attend one of the events you will still be in contention.

Over to you guys in the deep south...

Edited by axman

Hi there,

Representing the euro's I will add my bit:

• designated period is best in march
  • Whether it's a championship or 3 single events doesn't really matter
  • The 2 or 3 events should take place in a timeframe of 2 weeks. I'm taking into account a 3 week period in total including travel...etc..

Let me know what you guys think.....

Willem

Hi all

I have spoken to Peter VH at the new MR Slotcar Venue in Hallam Victoria and all is good for a 2018 feb race meeting .

Was looking at maybe having three 4 hour races .

example sat arvo 4 hour Slotworx V8

sat night 4 hour LMP race maybe with lights ?

sunday 4 or 6 hour scaleauto race

Greg C

Willem has been busy at the big LMP race in Europe this weekend, so I imagine he will be able to respond early this week.

For myself, I think it depends on what the Europeans want to do. If they want to do three weekends in a row (BRING IT ON!!!!) then great. However if they can only do two weekends, then we have to decide where to race. Sydney is absolutely essential to the whole concept. As for the other two races, personally I have no preference. Although Melbourne suits me from a logistics point of view, Queensland could deliver a stronger field of racers.

It depends on timing, too. But all these things can be addressed by Willem since he is very well connected with the European racers and is very good with communication.

So Willem, are you ok with the 3 weekends in a row?

I would suggest 2 races as 3 races means 2,5 weeks minimum. Immiadetliayl start racing after landing and go straight back after the third. Getting the guys 3 weeks or more downunder is not going to happen Im afraid.

It's the balance between, work, family, hobby and money I reckon.

My suggestion would be in march 2 to 2,5 weeks. 1 weekend where we race a short endurance (ie: 6 hrs, no lights) with mixed teams (3 drivers per team) and 1 sprint.

Second weekend an LMP endurance either mixed or not.

let me know what you think....

willem