terry

Tasman Series 2017 Car Builds

I tested 15 SRP motors late last year and found that there was only about 60 revs difference between them all.

I am surprised that yours is slow.Maybe some batches vary, ours we're from only two batches.

J.B.s car has one of the slower ones as that is all I had left at the time.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Sourced 2 SRP 16 motors Phil over the weekend , i normally buy from MRRC as i order other things like axles e.t.c at the same time , on the motor front generally there are differences in same makes all the time i had for example a really slow BWA in a batch i received compared to the others just one of those things Charles , friend of mine buys 3 motors at a time to source the best available for competition trouble is quite costly and his spare box is full of so so motors.

Hi Phil and Peter. I have normally been lucky with my motors but perhaps not for this years TC. I know people who have bought 15-20 motors to get the best one. Others in my own area seem to be always looking for a better motor. I am normally happy to take what I get. Good to hear of the tests you have undertaken Phil.

Apart from trialling my TC and VRAA cars hope to try my original T53 Cooper Climax and Lotus 18/21 as well. First is fitted with Solabotic so this will need to be changed but Lotus already has MRRC/SRP FF050.

Regards Chas Le Breton

We use the SRP inn club class, one guy thought he was getting slow motors,so I tested them before the series, to ensure they were close. Not sure the guy was convinced!

I have found that some motors seem better on 9:23 others better on 10:24.

I have a test chassis that I use just for testing gearing on the motors.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Hi Phil.

Agree revs are not everything but torque is difficult to test. The different gearing required would suggest torque is coming into play. A torquey motor then with good revs might be ultimate.

Will be interesting to try new motors being given with cars against my original. Mine had been sitting in its packaging for several years so perhaps they have been changed slightly. Would not take much to make a big difference.

Let the trials begin. My efforts to date have been to make sure car runs OK with nothing to test against (usually at last minute). Plenty of room for improvement.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Last minute preparation and testing!! Who would do that, apart from me?

The kids car was built over 6 or 7 months, then this year preparation started over the Christmas holidays.

J.B. Is much the same with his car preparation,usually is testing months before the event.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Hi Phil and all.

I think the fact you race these cars on regular basis is what it is all about. I have been unable get my local crew to build cars. I also have no useful track myself (only very small Scaly Sport track) but that is my problem. Have also done my best to encourage more NZ entrants but not very successfully. Some cars have been built but never entered. I will keep trying.

I intend to try a bit harder before next event.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi guys,

All very interesting.

The cars raced this year were all slightly different in performance and handling.

To say one motor is better than another is difficult at the time the car is on the track on race day.

Testing of motors out put, RPM and torque are the only true indicators of performance.

Each car has its own set up and that is the variation between them on race day (gearing, tire size,axles, bearings, weight, etc)

As for my Honda , like others. I have no test track and can only afford a couple of laps here and there when possible.

My self will be fine tuning and detailing the Honda for next year. This is the part of the sport that takes time to get correct.

At least this time I have a running car to start with.

All the best for next year

Paul

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough