Sign in to follow this  
Peter Gunn

Scaleauto Subaru Wrc R Series

Have one of these for a couple of days so thought i would share my thoughts , first the price £56-99 is a little high considering we have plastic front wheels , think they should be alloy, car has a magnet which i took out , not keen on the single band 4wd systems on this car to much sideways axle play front and rear, tyres are quite lo pro and on 17.5 x10 wheels really to low for a rally car in my opinion , motor is a 20,000k long can fully enclosed with a plastic 12 t pinion mating with a 32t anglewinder cog mesh good.

Do like this chassis a lot very solid and firm also the anglewinder pod is very good has a 4 point screw mounting in the chassis and seems no anglewinder twist with this one, the guide is their very nice sprung one but braids for me to hard.

One the track really looks the part great looking body sits low and wide bit to low as i mentioned on a rally track but ok on my Carrera, so off we go firstly we have straight line shimmer which is due to the axle slop and has band drag into right handers but this gets better after 50 laps or so , motor brakes reasonably well and has a good acceleration to it , stopped the car after 80 laps and gave it a light oiling and took that axle slop out and set of again now the car started to feel a lot better with 100 laps under it,s belt i was able to adjust the controller with more ohms and now we had a good track car.

My thoughts on this one are with a bit of initial fettling that play for instance and fitting a softer braid and getting rid of that band system and running in 2wd with some weight i would have a pretty competative car here and it does look good you know.

Just to put something right stripped the Scoobie down this morning and even though the spec says 12x 32 gearing i find in this one 12 x 27 be interesting to see what others find, more than likely replace with metal pinion and get nearer to the 12x32 gearing might improve the car a bit.

I think that the stock gearing for all of the newer 'R' series ScaleAutos is 11/27, which, whilst quite tall for a short can motor, is actually not too bad with the stock 20k long can motor.

I haven't looked at the sidewinders close enough, but from memory, they should be 11/36 with the 20k shortcan...