3 Lane Track In Hawkes Bay # 2

Pedro51

I have started assembling what I might use to build a track. I also need to work out a way of sneaking full size sheets of MDF (that have been there for ages of course) into the shed..

Dj6smTol.jpg

I struggle to see how a scale drawing will look full size, assuming I could produce a scale drawing.

My solution is to use my plastic track to give me a better idea, then smooth the transitions. Hopefully I will be able to line everything up neatly when I get to the last section. Tightest diameter corner I am looking at is 300 mm, lane spacing 100 mm. Some work to do yet, so please no holding your breath.

Tightest diameter on the BLST track is 235 mm.

2exAPO3l.jpg

Edited by Pedro51

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time ever I have done some test cuts practice before starting a project.otCg46Sl.jpg

My plan was/is to cut a slot for the border, then use that as the router guide for the slots.

8VRVD6Ml.jpg

that gives me 100 mm lane spacing, but also only 100 mm to the fence. Should I allow more space to the fence from the outside slot???

I am planning not to have any constant radius corners, and I am only planning one proper straight. As I will be making up the layout one corner at a time, the straight may need a slight curve if things are not lining up too well.

Clearly not the normal way to design/build a track, but I am confident it will turn out "as good as".

Edited by Pedro51

yep, always the sheds fault.

They're never big enough

No to the shed, but now I am worried about the bach the built track is going in.

With the pending acquisition of an extra strip of land should I renovate/rebuild/enlarge that first?

Nah I'd better carry on and make provision for track modification if anything changes.

Learning as I go.

5Pvf1g6l.jpg

The inner lane of the hairpin got a bit sharp so I need to round it off. Roll on the bog!

TiAtddPl.jpg

Long curves? are a bit harder to do, but I'm pleased with how it looks.

About 6 metres of slot cut so far, looking at approx total length of 21 metres.

...Drool...

Very nice indeed.

Loving that long curve

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Loving that long curve

My first try at building a track and in my head I want something that has parts that are fast, but not full throttle, so needing a little finese.

Hopefully I will only need to build one track, Yeah Right.

A little more to show, just working on legs for what is done, then I can move onto the next section.

I suspect it is a bit like building a house. You think you are nearly done then the finishing takes for ever and the plumber is busy somewhere else.APAST50l.jpg

Tell me more about "BOG", I have never used it, any hints on brand, are some better than others?

What am I looking for?

Thanks

Peter