Sign in to follow this  
slotmadmac

Nostalgia 911

A while back I was tooling round with an old c125 Scalextric 911 body (link here) and got to wondering how those old 90's clunkers would go with some TLC.

In stock form they were always a bit of a dog on the track and sit very high at the front end.

911_zpssfdhbpqo.jpg

This is mainly due to the Scalextric drop front axle and lowered guide shaft of that era. It sits below the chassis - i think this was to get cars around the banked curves that were popular back then. Here's an example from a old Scalex Metro.

metro005_zps108630cb.jpg

There are several c125 chassis variants. This one came with a Johnson motor and male / female lugs to secure both ends of the body. I cut off the front bumper from the chassis and glued it to the body and I cut the the stock chassis behind the front axle and worked in a front end from a parts bin Indycar chassis. This has the advantage of giving more guide lead which should improve handling.

922two_zpsdc4tttms.jpg

I wanted to keep as much on the car as stock as possible so kept the original wheels and axles but put Ultragrips on the rear. I stepped down the fat front tyres to reduce friction and ditched the Johnson in favour of a 18k Mabuchi. I also braced the motor to the rear bushes to smooth out the drive.

9115_zpspsaa8pq7.jpg

To get the body lower I widened the rear female chassis slot and used JB Weld to reduce the size of the new space. I also filed down the rear male chassis tongue and rounded it off at the edges to hep with body rock. The front of the chassis is secured with a new body post.

9116_zpsserkzshi.jpg

Here's the underside with the front bumper glued to the body.

9113_zpsdzhyvt7p.jpg

And here she is on the track. I'm pretty happy with the stance - given how quick this all came together.

9114_zpszngkoqcw.jpg

She runs so much better now. Smooth, predictable and easy to drive. Lap times are just off where i would expect a newer Scalextric inline to be.

Podiums are for short people.

Excellent, this car was my very first Slotcar, and I still own it too. I also gave it a fresh lease on life a while back. Really brought a smile back and a lot of memories. Also did similar with the guide and ride height, looks and handles far better.

great to see another great madmac tune on a old banger

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Nicely done there Mac.

Definitely food for thought here...

I've got 4 of them sitting here to build up as a house class...

Edited by shadow_rusty

I have a stack of more deserving cars to get on the track but working up these old cars makes me happy. Whatever floats your boat. You all know the drill.

Podiums are for short people.

Nice! Lots lower and I bet a lot more stable.

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion