Ips 2016 Round 13 (Last)

alexis in greece

Flu got the upper hand and we had 3 drivers sick,running the round impossible.But I could run qualifying yesterday night.A couple of cars had problems:

-#3,chassis got loose and moved resulting in tires rubbing the body ,i had to replace the screws and tighten them

-#36,transmission was frozen,the crown was very tight on the pinion,loosened and repositioned,problem solved.

-# 8,my mid engine car,had been reported in previous rounds as something rubbing or motor blown.Winner was something rubbing.A small piece of plastic transparent debris had got stuck between the rear right axle upright and the axle,i didnt see it ,but it fell when i removed the axle,resulting at 400 rpm increase

The rest of the cars run without serious problems but these cars stand out:

-#11 veeery tippy

-#6 ditto

-#12 bottoming out

Here are the results:

31242659290_c5c8405207_z.jpg

Next target for running the round Friday

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

"-#11 veeery tippy"

Alexis, there must be something weird about #11 if it's very tippy and yet can post a number 2 qualifying time with 6 deslots! Any ideas about its unpredictable handling? How did you manage to keep it in the slot and yet go fast enough to get that time?

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

In qualy you look for a fast lap so you push to the limit ignoring deslots the point is how forgiving is a car,and yours is not,6 deslots over 10 laps.I think the main issue is that front wheels are in the air and the front end stands high up resulting in high cog,so when you turn one of the rear wheels is in the air.Very risky situation especially on high speed corners.I have a reputation here of doing miracles driving difficult cars but as you see i could manage only 2 good laps.If it was the race i dont think i would do better than high 11s compared to Peter Gunns car (i really like this one) that would do the same as in qualy,Yes it had 3 deslots but i overdid it on purpose trying for pole otherwise i could run around 11-11.10 for 500 laps without offs.

Quote Art from Dart Hobbies

I am sending Alexis IPS proxy prizes for the 2017 season. For the 2016 season I was too late in sorting out prizes so I've decided to give every registered entry that competed at The Ring a $15 gift voucher for DArthobbies stuff (excluding shipping). Those of you that had two registered entries in the race receive two vouchers totalling $30. Gift vouchers from different people cannot be combined. If you email me a future order just let me know that you would like to take advantage of the voucher(s).

Thank you Art on behalf of all entrants

Hi Alexis.

Hi come you can correspond with Art but nobody else can.

I would like to support the guy for his great support of slotting but he now do not even advertise his BWA motors on his web site.

What have we done wrong? Has he perhaps sold them all? IPS and other proxies re screaming out for these motors.

Please Alexis wave your magic wand or whatever ploy you use.

All the best for Christmas and New Year from Down Under. Looking forward to IPS 2017.

Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Chas

unfortunately there is no magic wand,i cannot correspond with Art,even that was not emailed directly to me,this is where i got the info:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?p=995339#post995339

Regarding BWA motors, according to that same post, Al Penrose sells them directly,i have already pmed him via SCI for 10 units no answer so far,lets hope for the best,if i get a reply i'll post an update

Today its race day the last IPS 2016 round

This will continue to be a perennial problem so long as the rules are such that, of the motors allowed, only one or two are of practical use and if these are unfortunately from an unreliable source, then players will be held to ransom. Of course, it will be pointed out that there is a free choice of other eligible motors but when these others lack competitiveness, is that a real choice? We need to recognise the dire straits which a lot of the proxy entrants find themselves in when trying to source a competitive motor for their cars. For them, right now, it's either get an almost unobtainable BWA 030 to have a realistic chance of winning or get one of the others and be resigned to be an also-ran. And that is not my idea of competition. Do we want to continue down this route or should we review the list of eligible motors and specify more realistic options?

As I see it, the main criteria for the IPS motor is medium low power and affordable cost. The BWA 030 meets those criterias, so we can keep it on the list. Looking around the Net, I can see the following which can comply with those specs and yet may be more readily available internationally :

1}SRP S-Can Power16 Motor 16000rpm 12v Can & Endbell-Drive

Ref : SR181P41600X

and if we are prepared to up the power stakes a notch to 18k:

2)OSC Motor M1 18000 rpm

Ref : OSC-RM0101

3)Pioneer Standard Motor 18,000rpm

Ref: P00260

4)PSR Mabuchi Motor 18.000rpm

Ref : PSR-AC4

The way I look at it, inspite of the growth in popularity of this proxy, with the current situation of motor availability, it won't be long before everything grinds to a halt and entries start dropping off due to frustration - there are only so many times you can reuse a motor and the ones which I have are nearing the end of their competitive lives.

I am aware of the old adage, "You do not fix anything that is not broken", but the signs are there and if we continue to ignore them, the eventual fix may come too late.

Lim

You are right Lim but you forget one parameter:the M/T motor is reliably available (so far),not expensive, and is it is good enough power wise,in fact my 2014 car was fitted with one and finished on the podium,so the way i see it, the best solution, if the BWA way proves dead end , is simply to ban the BWA motor.Not this year though as i believe most entrants have some stock or can use 2016 cars motors.Going to 16k i'm afraid will render the cars,or some cars,more difficult to drive than they are now

Lim been testing the M/T motor here in a Pink Kar Ferrari 250 GTO same as 111 and it has been performing similar to the BWA motor on Ninco 7mm tyres on MJK's the car is slightly quicker , on anything at 18k and over, the 7mm tyre is struggling with performance mainly in sharp bends to touchy even with gear changes, don't think were all in dire straits as you put it , for 2017, many OTHER factors are affecting cars in 2016 hardly anything to do with motors.

Agreed, Alexis. Plain overlooked the M/T as I have never used it or seen one in this part of the world, but if you say it is comparable and easily available, then it should be on the list. It is too late to make rule changes for 2017, so any mods will have to take place only from 2018 onwards.

Peter, yes, sure there are many factors affecting our cars currently and I'll be one of the first to acknowledge that. But that would be mostly to do with quality of build and setup which can be addressed with experience and diligence. But my point is that sourcing a critical part of the car should not be a "Mission Impossible" the way it is now! :mellow:

Lim

We could not run the race friday but we did last night ,During the race 2 cars developed issues,miveson's with chassis sliding back and forth despite changing the screws and aquakiwi's front screw geting loose repeatedly,on both we had to fix the bodies with scotch tape in order to carry on racing,thus the low scores,

here are the results

31715666935_55a74b0c30_z.jpg

and the fastest laps

31569342792_259e372987.jpg

After the last race these are the final overall standings:

31715669035_7cf719c84a_c.jpg

and standing by class,mid engine:

31678318566_04eee04345.jpg

front engine:

30905810793_3661c08d60.jpg

Concourse voting

30906288663_3162f103d1_c.jpg

and standings

30874315894_2ed2796d44_c.jpg

And these results conclude the IPS 2016 proxy.I would like to congratulate all entrants for their efforts regardless of the the results, i am sure everyone learned something since,as our high school math teacher used to say,the only way to learn is by trial and error.I would also like to thank you all for trusting me with your precious cars and supporting this proxy.Thank you also to our sponsors,Dart Hobbies and creativehobby

There are several photos to sort so keep watching this space

Been a great series once again Alexis and thank you for all your hard work in making it so, many thanks to all the hosts been some great tracks for the cars to run on and all they have done for the 2016 series, congrats to Neo great car in a class of your own as 5 wins show, really pleased with 111 only car in top 8 not to get a win but managed 3rd overall shows consistency if not speed i suppose, a Ferrari GTO top 3!!!!, also congrats to Mnewns or his second place, and to all who took part some really nice cars you should all be proud of them.

Hope to see you all in 2017 i will more than likely be running a Ferrari 250 GTO again , but doubt if it will be this years car which has done 2 seasons now with motor and tyres,car needs a breather and i have a couple of tweaks for it , just remains for me to wish a happy xmas and a peaceful new year to you all and your families.

Keith your car was very consistent it only needed some more speed,you can blame motor power variations , inherent to mass production items ,for that.

One of the things i enjoyed most the fact that we had 7 different winners,almost 1/3 of entries,and 11 on podium,roughly half of the entries.

More about prizes,the initial plan was to offer a BWA motor to every non trophy receiving entrant entrant but it did not work,so these are the prizes:

3 Ocar body kits Audi Quattro liveried Rally Monte Carlo 1986,Lancia Aurelia and Ferrari TR59/60

31351522650_9f399623df_c.jpg20161218_162513 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

13 sets of Slot.it pinion+Scx pro crown+various bits,inserts etc

Every prize has been assigned a number and entrants will choose a number starting with 4th overall who is H.P.Finklemeyer please pick a number 1 to16.

Good luck

Edited by alexis in greece

GAS41T picked #4

1 set of Slot.it pinion+Scx pro crown+various bits,inserts etc

Next up is Double B

4 GAT41T 1 set of Slot.it pinion+Scx pro crown+various bits,inserts etc

7 HPF 1 set of Slot.it pinion+Scx pro crown+various bits,inserts etc

Double B picked #11

1 set of Slot.it pinion+Scx pro crown+various bits,inserts etc

Next up is Vagger