Sign in to follow this  
gazza

Nico Rosberg Retires

It was announced last night that Nico Rosberg has retired from Formula 1 affective immediately

BBC Sport .......

The 31-year-old German won his first world title on Sunday, beating Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton by finishing second in the final race in Abu Dhabi.

"I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right," Rosberg said.

Rosberg won nine of this season's 21 grands prix, beating three-time champion Hamilton by five points.

"For 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing', to become Formula 1 world champion," he added.

"Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it."

The son of Finnish 1982 world champion Keke, Rosberg made his F1 debut for Williams at the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2006, finishing seventh.

And when asked if there was any chance of a return, Rosberg added: "No definitely not. End of story. Done."

Rosberg's wait for a maiden title was the second longest in F1 history

Hamilton, who had beaten Rosberg to the title in the previous two seasons, said: "He has a family he wants to focus on, and F1 takes so much from you.

"It is definitely going to be strange and it will be sad to not have him in the team next year."

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the news took him "completely by surprise".

"This is a brave decision by Nico and a testament to the strength of his character," he added.

"The clarity of his judgement meant I accepted his decision straight away when he told me.

"We now have to consider options and we will start to look at it on Monday."

Rosberg raced in 206 grands prix, winning 23 and finishing on the podium 57 times.

Lewis "The Cock" Hamiltons response

Lewis Hamilton says he "doesn't care" who Mercedes pick as his team-mate next year following Nico Rosberg's decision to retire from Formula 1.

The German announced his retirement on Friday, five days after clinching his first world title ahead of Hamilton.

Hamilton said: "It doesn't matter who they put alongside me. I'll race them. I'm here to race. The focus is on next year and hoping for a better season."

Hamilton added that Rosberg's decision was "not a surprise" to him.

"This is the first time he has won in 18 years [of racing together]," Hamilton said.

It all began so well for the pair, sharing the podium at the 2008 Australian GP, but as team-mates their relationship soured following several disagreements and collisions on track

"He has a family he wants to focus on and F1 takes so much from you.

"It is definitely going to be strange and it will be sad to not have him in the team next year."

Hamilton said he wanted Mercedes to pick someone who would work hard for the team.

"I've never needed a team-mate to be able to push me," he said. "The better the driver, the better it is for me when I finish ahead of them.

"You need someone with good values coming in and representing the team in a positive way, good work ethic and consistency, obviously, so we can those win constructors' championships.

"So, in terms of challenging for constructors' titles, which is obviously the team's first goal, we need to make sure we have someone equally as consistent as what we had before."

But beyond that, he said, he would make no major requests of team boss Toto Wolff, but would offer his opinion if it was requested.

Jump media player

Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue. Nico Rosberg announces Formula 1 retirement to fans

"If they want to talk to me, they can talk to me about it," Hamilton said.

"It should be someone who has to work well in the team. There will be stronger characters and less strong characters - and some drivers who take alternative routes in order to deal with competition.

"There will be good and bad ones out there, for sure - I would be more than happy to help with that analysis.

"I just always asked to have equal rights. As long we're treated fairly, it doesn't really matter who is alongside you.

"Of course, we've got great team bosses who I'm sure will choose the right people to be representing the brand."

He added: "I'm interested to see who would want to be my team-mate - and respect anyone that would want to."

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

My thoughts exactly. I then went to motorsport websites and it definately is not April 1...

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

So Hamilton is all for the team as long as its him first.

Birds of a feather with Vettel.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

Rosberg (Nico) said he was always worried as a kid that his dad would have a big crash and he didn't want his young child to go through the same feeling. I respect him for that... and as F1 World Champion.. Mission Accomplished

Normal people worry me

So Hamilton is all for the team as long as its him first.

Birds of a feather with Vettel.

Too much arrogance X2 for my liking

Normal people worry me

It took Hamilton 4 days to go on social media to congratulate his team mate on his win, we now know how long temper tantrums can last for

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017