Bullitt - Steve Mcqueen

jphanna

Guys,

i may have watched this years ago, not sure, but i saw it at the local library in dvd section and grabbed it along with other stuff.

i knew that this movie has a great car chase in it. so 3/4 into the movie it started.....

steve was in the mustang and the bad guys in a dodge charger. watching them launch on the hilly streets, and all 4 wheels off the deck on both cars numerous times, hitting obstacles numerous times, the hub caps on the dodge, one by one all flung off. count how many times a hub cap fly off the car. then you see the next scene and hub cap that flung off was back on again. in fact after every scene where a hub cap flys off, the very next scene its back on again.

so after after all 4 hub caps have been counted as flung off, in the final scene of the car chase when the dodge hits a gas station after launcing into the air......3 hub caps are flying off at the same time before it hits and explodes.

do they do this on purpose, or its genuine mistakes in production? these guys get millions of $$$ to make these movies, and i thought that maths may be one of the essential items in the job description.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe hubcaps are like bullets. Hollywood movies have lots of these?

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

There's a story that the biker that lays his bike down during the chase was not part of the script, just someone who found their way onto the wrong road, but they kept the footage in the movie.

Don't know if it's true or publicist bull.

As for the hub caps, they probably destroyed a few Dodges during filming, the continuity guys probably gave up trying to keep track.

About 40 years ago there was an ad on TV where a Charger jumped over some rail lines (I think it was rail lines) then later in the ad there was a Kingswood. I was working at Thomson Ford at the time and the same guys who made the ad with the Charger were filming at our workshop making an ad for Thomsons. Talking to some of the film crew they told us that the ad with the Charger was only supposed to have the one car (no Kingswood) but when they jumped the Charger over the rail lines it collapsed at the firewall and just about broke in two. No time to find another Charger so they grabbed the closest thing to hand, the Kingswood. Never liked Chargers anyway.

Great time to be working at Thomsons, got to drive some crazy cars. We had a customer who owned a Phase III, the guy was at least 200 kilos and he kept breaking the drivers seat. We must have fixed and upgraded the seat 3 or 4 times and he always let me have a test drive. Those were the days.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

another thing to watch is car chases form within the car. if the camera is in the back seat looking at the dash and over the bonnet.....

watch the tacho and/or speedo. sometimes they are not even past ZERO even though car is in a car chase, other times they can be on a long fast straight at 90mph......then go through a haripin and it still shows 90mph. i seem to remember sean connery in that toyota GT coupe, in mid 60s, with that tacho in questionable position compared to what the car was doing.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

David Piper lost part of his leg when he crashed a 917 doing some scenes for the Le Mans movie. The 917 was on loan from Porsche; it blew a tyre, hit a guard rail and ended up in two pieces in a ditch. The crash footage wasn't used in the movie.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

• 3 months later...