Inline By Stealth

jphanna

The oldest debate in slot cars for 50 years has been the old …..’which is better for performance, inline OR sidewinder/anglewinder ?

University tests prove that SW and AW are better than Inline for outright performance. There are a few people that can make an inline as fast as the alternatives, but they are in the very rare minority.

As a general rule, I don’t talk to people who race inline by choice, at my clubs.

But what if the rules state inline only? Then you buy the greatest inline ever made. Scale Auto Toyota GT1 Lemans 1999. This car is the GTHO phase 3 of slot cars.

They haven’t made new ones of this model for a long time, so to be able to order a new one that appeared on EBAY (found by good friend, Roger Miller) is very lucky. Order placed, now I wait with bated breath for my new baby.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

And I always thought that the oldest debate in slot cars was....wood or plastic???

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Kev, its baited with garlic prawns.

Branco, plastic is for those who cant set up a permanent man cave possibly. plastic good for competing needs when limited space available? Plastic could be viewed for those just dipping thier toes in the water, until a new hobby takes thier interest? Wood is for those that are in it for good i recon.

Edited by jphanna

When i got my competition version of the gt1 you mention back when they were released, i was racing regularly at melbourne model raceway. It was a 'limited edition' of 300, and cost me about $130 which ten years ago or so was plenty.

That car with me driving was the reason we lost our 'nuts' class. When my closest oposition was doing 3.6's, the feild was doing 3.8 to 4.0, i was doing 3.2's.

Yep, what a glorious inline car, and what a fun way to play 'Death by domination'.

Several years later the nuts class breifly returned, this time it was 'Formula Mosler', Tobias even got down to a 2.9, my best ever was a 3.016 :(

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

While the GT 1 is a great car, I have several, stared with Pro Slot version.

But the inline is a little outdated for our tracks, in our recent L!P series a Slot It Angle winder won every race! Best my GT. 1 could do was 2 laps behind for second on the best night.

:-)

I note that the advantages a well set up anglewinder offer are nearly irrelevant with a low power lotor running on a small or very tight track.

I run both online and angle in our Jack Rabbitt 14k slow motor class Slot.it Gp.C - the angle is smoother on the more open tracks, but not quite as quick overall as the inline. Chassis are Toyota 88c (angle) & Sauber C9 (inline).

I note that my sideways Capri (inline, baby sprinter 17k) is generally quicker around the th racks than my other sideways anglewinder except for the M1...

Where weight is not allowed, an inline provides a good spread of weight in the right spot in some cars. some of the most dominant cars of my competitors are inline.

• 3 weeks later...

well the car arrived yesterday. (Thanks Roger) i know its an old model, and not in production for years but i think this one was stored under a pizza oven. tyres are rock hard. even harder than a stock scaley. the only other thing that surprised me is the ride height front and rear was over 3mm. the Scale Auto Radical sets very low, so didnt expect this car form the same stable, to be so high. rules say 1mm mimimum. i gotta find a way to get the height down to 1.01mm for it to be good race car. 20k stock motor ditched, for 25 king. it good to have this car even if its not useable at moment. its an Icon car.