Sign in to follow this  
aquakiwi

Piano Wire Size

Can anyone please tell me the size/gauge/diameter of wire for suspension arms on Tasman Cup VRAA cars, if I had a local shop I could wander into and physically see if be right.

K&S 501 piano wire, 0.032" (0.8mm) is what I use mostly for the top radius arms, though my last two builds I have used K&S 500 wire, .025" (0.6mm)

I use the K&S 504 .062" (1.6mm) for the lower trailing arms, its 4 times the weight of the 501 (0.8mm) wire so its good for added lower COG I find and stronger for outboard bushings.

Edited by slo1quick

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

I use 0.035 and 0.030 for my cars.

I still work in inches!

I can't seem to find either of those two sizes in a NZ shop, can any Kiwis help in a source?

Hi Aquakiwi.

I mainly use some stuff Stubbo sent me (short lengths of about 1.2mm and 1.6mm). No idea of code number. Previously used brass.

Only use piano wire for chassis rails. All my suspension is brass which is much easier to find. Have never had trouble with bending. Piano wire however is probably required if you are mounting bearings outboard.

Have you tried Rotorua hobby shop. I have found them really good for paint and transfer paper. I will try local guy who operates from home but not open until Wednesday.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Aquakiwi.

For brass just look at "Metal Centre" at any good hobby shop. I would not use copper wire from single core plastic wire for suspension but I do use to make springs. Might be OK for very short non-structural items but I would use brass rod.

I used black plastic coated wire for hydraulic lines on my Brabham BT4.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Acorn Models stock a truck load of K&S stuff - https://www.acornmod.../k-s-wire-rack/ - there used to be one in Auckland but dunno if it's still there.

A huge range for sure but i can't find 0.035 and 0.030 sizes which I think are the ones I need. Acorn no longer have an Auckland Branch and there doesnt seem to be nought north of the bridge. My cars will remain suspension less...........as well as performance-less.

Hi Aquakiwi.

Modelcraft and Hobbies has moved across road from old location. Last time I was in Akld anyway.

Regards Chas Le Breton