Stubbo

2017 Tasman Cup Rules

Hi Alan, thought I'd better let you know now rather than later - I am taking time off from proxies for this year, so, regretfully, will have to withdraw my entry from the Tasman Cup 2017. I hope to be back again in 2018, refreshed and with a more competitive car. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Hi Alan, I will enter again . I think I told you via email a while ago anyway.

It will be either last years Elfin Mono or a new version of that if I get time to build it. Probably a Garrie Cooper car.

#16 again please.

Got to fly the piping shrike again.for SA!

Cheers John

Hi, I reall support what Chas proposes. But we have to be sympathetic to those with disability.

All the cars from SA last year (4) where completely hand built chassis by the owners - no bought brackets,

That is the way, I thought, was the object of the series. However There seems to be an ingress of cars with completely bought chassis.

This to me seems to be really a case for two catagories in the race - homebuilt and purchased chassis

To me this would keep what I perceive as the main spirit of the Tasman Cup Series alive.

However it would also give an opportunity to those unable to use a jig board, soldering iron and other equipment needed to construct their chassis.

Alan is the event director & it his event and rules with whatever objects he has for it.

So far for me this has been a premier event & run superbly by Alan. I will enjoy it even if we loose the "Home Built" content but will be disappointed of course .

Cheers, John

Hmmm segregation in the air i see , i am one of those who runs a commercial chassis a Beardog which i have extensativly modified from the original kit to try to add a bit of building into it, unfortunatly i no longer have the dexterity in my fingers to build a chassis from scratch including making my own u bracket , looking at last years field there were not many with home made u brackets for instance , do think the system in the Tasman works very well and as long as the cars look right with a bit of effort put into them why cause a problem which i did not think was there.

The main reason I ran a commercial chassis was just to show some of those struggling to build a chassis that commercial chassis can run with scratchbuilt.

The Beardog chassis is just as much work to assemble as building a brass wire chassis.

The PPL chassis is much easier to fold up and assemble, and as the kids proved is a good cheap option and a great starting point for those wanting to get into building but lack some of the skills or time.

I have about 20 brass/wire F1 cars so always looking for something different to race.

I would like to see more chassis builders, but no matter how much enthusiasm a person has it will not make up for lack of skills. Everybody has different skill levels it is just nature.

I have seen guys spend up on good soldering iron,expensive jigs and tools but unfortunatly just cannot learn the require skills to build a good chassis.

The old WPR Rules did state the " chassis had to be able to be made in a home workshop"

When I wrote those rules I did not expect anyone to have a CNC Mill or 3D printer in their shed!

All that said I would not like to see 3d printed or plastic chassis in this event.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

I think the current format of allowing to race whatever you can conjure up works well. I have never had any real issues with scratch-building a car even though the finished result is no work of art. I enjoy experimenting and trying out different ideas to see what works and what doesn't. That said, I'm not adverse to building up a car from a kit chassis and have done this with the PPL as well as using the BWA front and rear brackets. Both types of construction should be allowed to race side by side as it allows the not-so-experienced builder to test his skills against the old hands and learn and progress from there.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

It is interesting to see the conversation usually seems to come back to the conclusion that we should stick with what we have.

As others have said the current rules provide scope for everyone to have a go no matter what your level of expertise. From PP to Beardog and to a fully scratch built chassis the options are there.

I would like to think that is why we have been able to attract first timers just about every year.

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Keep it simple folks no need for multiple classes, it all seems to work with the current format. also splitting the types will mean more admin for the organisers as well. I partly lost interest in another series when it was diluted with separate classes.

Alan

Hi guys,

I do agree with Alan

No need to modify what we already have with different classes.

We all have limited time and the effort to build and assemble a new car, this takes many hours (as you all know).

As long as the finished product fits inside the spec box that should be it.

All the best,

Paul

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough