2017 Tasman Cup Rules

Stubbo

I yes I do have some Pre 1961 2.5 Litre bodies , but as Lim mentioned they are not eligible for the Tasman Cup.

These are:

Brabham BT 7/11 Brabham BT3 Brabham BT7A BT11A BRM 261 H BRM 261 L BRM 278 BRP Cooper Cooper 1964 Cooper T51 Cooper T53 Cooper Maserati Cooper T60 Cooper T62 Cooper T79 Elfin Mono T/C Ferguson P99 Ferrari 158 Ferrari 1512 Honda RA 271 Honda RA 272 Lola MK1v Climax V8 Lola MK1v Climax FPF Lotus 18 Lotus 22 Lotus 24 BRM Lotus 24 Climax Porsche 804

Edited by kalbfellp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stubbo.

If a 3D printed motor mount is allowed can I use a Slot-it FF050 motor mount instead of my usual BWA/Cam rear axle bracket. Main part of chassis including front axle assembly and suspension would still be brass/piano wire.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Stubbo.

It is not a standard item (has been Kiwised) but can take a photo if you wish.

I made/adapted a couple of years ago but have not got around to using. Basically a standard inline Slot-it motor mount with 5mm cut out of centre and re-glued. Should work a treat but at this stage untested.

No idea if will even fit a Tasman car but as you are allowing 3D motor mount I could not see why not. Had originally thought of using in my IPS Ferrari 250 GTO with brass chassis but took easy way out and used Sebring.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Firstly, Devis ff 050 motor mount/pod is not allowed for 2017.

Chas, The rules state that a 3D motor mount maybe allowed but ask first. What I mean by motor mount is something like the BWA bracket, not something that has the pod and the mount as one piece. If you can Chas please send me a photo of the item you are talking about so that I can have a look.

Obviously this 3D phenomenon will grow into the future and we may have to reconsider but for now let's all try to stay with the present and stick to brass wire etc.

So no 3D stuff this time.

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Hi Stubbo and all.

I am totally happy although not particularly skilled at building brass/piano wire chassis but rules still say - 3D motor mounts will be considered.or words to that effect.

My suggestion was not a 3D product but a Kiwised plastic commercial product. Perhaps not unlike a 3D creation. I like doing things a bit outside the box. Clearly the Policar plastic F1 chassis is also out.

Suggest 3D bit be removed at least for this year to discourage me from developing a Slot-it axle mount or just say all construction must be metal.. Think I see a new IPS chassis coming on.

Thought I would bring up Slot-it idea as I have to discard Solabotic motor.

Agree with Gast41/Rossco it would be a great pity If a commercial chassis was to take over Tasman Cup or VRAA. What happened with NZ Canam still grates although this was more about non-podded to podded..

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

Noticed you mentioned a Policar 72 chassis i have one slightly modified in a P/P Lotus 24 Climax and run it in Tasman spec with the SRP ff motor just to try it out and your right not to use it light years ahead of anything i can build talk about brakes ran it against my Lotus BRM i entered last year approx. 1 second a lap quicker on a 34 foot circuit all in the corners using P/G's , do think running a metal proxy is a good idea.

Thanks Peter. That is what I expected although have not tried myself.

I too love our little cars. They are also a good lead into some other classes. I have a car under construction for UK Garista although this is currently suspended and even have a 1/24th Lotus under construction for FRP in Adelaide.

While beginners should be allowed some leeway I would like more experienced racers encouraged more to refine suspension although some cars lend themselves better to such development. This has been one of my considerations when selecting a prototype to model. With VRAA too they have 2.5 litre class with more relaxed standards although many of the cars have little to model because most suspension detail is inboard.

Regards Chas Le Breton

So was i a bit Phil but in comparison with the SRP motor of the same speck i used in Tasman, it out braked it by quite a lot and went through and out of corners better, therefor allowing quicker pick up of top speed, the larger overall dia changed the gear ratio and the narrower tyres created less drag, at least that is what i found.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget that the Policar gearing is a little short compared with the standard 9/27...

I put the 'high speed' axle into mine, and both it and the fly lotus with stock gearing are running similar pace...

Note: Both cars are running BWA 14k motors...

Edit: hmm, maybe I should put them both on the speed checker...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Hi Phil and all previous and future Tasman competitors.

Have a Merry Christmas and a productive New Year.as you ready your cars for the next series.

Actually got my Brabham BT4 out this afternoon and pulled out the Solabotic motor which is no longer eligible. Early days yet but I appear t have trimmed down the driver enough to retain a full length version. Very happy about that.

All the best for you builds. I am not building a new car but I have never started so early.

Regards

Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

G'day everyone.

Been rather hectic with work lately but hopefully that is all finished up in the next day or so and I can get back to a degree of normality.

Aunty, welcome to the Tasman. I will post an update entry list in the next couple of days.

Just a reminder to those returning from last year that you have until the middle of January to reconfirm or you may not be able to have the same number for next year.

Alan Stubbings