Round 2 - Mount Rustmore

shadow_rusty

I blow a tire... this is a first for me. Sorry for the wasted time. They were only few months old but you never know when they were made. Unless i screw up and this is the 3 y old set and the new one is on my other avant.

Each year i come with a new story. Last year i got the blue brm sliders and this year a set of mjk out dated.

French car... you have to love them... never know what will happen with them.

This issue was on the SCX modern rally car, not the Avant...

It's no drama, and as I said, time spent out at the track is no waste...

I apologize for all the trouble my car gave you and thank you for repairing it, where do i send you anew spur?

No need to appolagise, as there was no real drama's, just a little trouble shooting.

Also, I didn't end up replacing the Spur, just the pinion. Even if I did, someone once said "It is a small gesture and slotcar guys often do small favours like that"...

Reminder to self " test all cars for magnets next year!"

Hmmm, I seem to remember something like this last year...

No harm done, and generally, you will know within 1 lap that a car has a magnet in it...

I'll try to get the "Stage 1 - Modern" results up tonight...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stage '3' of the Modern's has been run...

Most cars preferred the anti clockwise direction, and for some reason, there was way more grip tonight too...

So, here are my thoughts on the Modern cars...

16 - Motor / Gearing are great, balance is good, but those rear tyres... Not sure what's happened, but they are 'square', and have grooves for 'rain'?

18 - Sooo much motor... A king21 equivalent is probably a bit much for a humble SCX... No warning on loss of the front end made it even harder to drive...

11 - Proof that a Crusher can be tamed... Slight axle hop under heavy acceleration, otherwise nice. Awesome looking rims / inserts / brakes...

22 - Lots of axle hop, so much so that it felt like a tyre off the rim, and it would reseat down each straight. Motor was unresponsive for a NC5 too.

20 - Silky smooth drive. Just wow... Pity the NC2 is a little underpowered here or it would of been even better...

13 - Another C4, and super smooth car. Soft for a NC5, but that little bit more power certainly helped it...

15 - Lacking in rear grip, and the spur will eventually need replacing, but the motor felt great.

12 - Hard to drive fast as you had to be above 95% capability to get good times. Nice balance and motor though.

23 - A little bouncy in the rear, and would lose too much pace when sliding.

17 - It's loud, it likes to glitch the timing, but it's great to drive. Pioneer 18k suits it, and this scaley is showing lots of potential.

14 - Nice balance, great motor, but had to be sideways to accelerate hard, but boy oh boy did it then go hard.

21 - Another C4, only this time you needed to keep it straight to get the best out of it. Nice drive though.

19 - Someone told him that they had a lot of time to catch up on, so they did that in the first lap. New tyres were well and truly put to good use. This car defies the laws of physics...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Thanks for the running and your comments the SCX car was just a experiment with what was in the spares box noticed last year Gazzas Fiesta did not have a lot of speed so thought something a bit more powerful than the 91 might work for this series, still can't get any posted images due to the Malware warning nor the users on net link, odd that as i,m having no trouble otherwise.

Ben, I checked, and checked, but nope, no magnets...

The motor doesn't even have any magnetic downforce, the car was just THAT quick in this direction...

And yes Fabian, if it is this quick everywhere else, you should be in a good position at the end of the series...

Peter, it could be the .xlsx files with macros in them that are throwing a false positive, but even then, that's a bit of a long stretch.

Anyway, here are your finishing positions...

Stage 1 = 1 & 8 (PG2)

Stage 3 = 9 & 3 (PG2)

Ben, I checked, and checked, but nope, no magnets...

The motor doesn't even have any magnetic downforce, the car was just THAT quick in this direction...

And yes Fabian, if it is this quick everywhere else, you should be in a good position at the end of the series...

so, what, i did a car which only work on track going mainly right :) and i blow out a tire... i still cannot believe how i could have screw up so baddly on the rear tire choice!!! i am an idiot! how to shoot yourself in the foot before a proxy serie.

The crazy thing is that i change the tire on my new car but decided that the old car with the new motor and weight balance was better. i could have also check the tires.

It will make a good story if i end up close to the podium at the end of the serie as for the time beeing i am mid pack with a brake down.

I love proxy.

Unfortunately for Fabian, there will be no singing and dancing arround the camp fire tonight.

Whilst his car was decent, the Gymkhana track is all about slow corner speed, which is difficult to do with a ballistic missile.

That said, one of the more fun cars to drive tonight was one that gave me grief on the other 2 runs.

Alexis, your car was just so consistent that it's sitting above several cars that should of beaten it in this stage.

It slid well, and still maintained the corner speed whilst doing so.

Anyway, enough drivel from me, here are the results...

http://users.on.net/~shadow.rusty/OzRally%202016-17/OzRally-G%2045%20Lap%20Race-2016-11-15T18.31.31.xls

OzRally-G%2045%20Lap%20Race-2016-11-15T18.31.31.JPG

And for Peter...

Stage 2 = 11 and 7 (2)

The crazy thing is that i change the tire on my new car but decided that the old car with the new motor and weight balance was better. i could have also check the tires.

Nope the crazy thing is that the first set of tyres I fitted to your car were almost as bad as what came off...

I'd glued and trued them, and was thinking to myself, hmm, MJK's don't normally true 'yellow'...

On the track they were just wrong... No grip followed by too much grip...

Second set on, and well, as they say, the rest is history...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Lesson one in proxy racing is surely check your tyres are capable of running the full series as stated in the rules , was not aware changes could be made with out a penalty , seems a bit unfair on those who did do what the rules say and made sure of the first principle , not against repairs being done , but tyres comes down to the person sending the car , now you can all have a pop.

Not sure if any other penalty will apply, but it did finish the first stage with half a tyre.

That certainly did adversely affect it for at least half of the laps.

Hi Phil and all.

I have been running these events for at least 6 years now and have never had an issue with MJK tyres. I always put on new ones but often reuse old ones on other cars afterwards.

There appear to have been lots of problems this year though (so early in the rally). Is there an issue with quality or was there just a bad batch.

SR has done a great job in keeping the cars going. Keep up the good work. I know I have had the odd problem over the years (race damage) with the likes of the motor in my Ford RS200 coming loose once and some transmission problems with my Subaru. I see there has been a comment about latter again this year although each year I check an find nothing wrong - probably my rose tinted glasses or perhaps I am just slack.

I know with VRAA penalties are applied. If there are rules should we not follow as long there is some discretion and fairness applied. Sometimes I imagine the initial problem is penalty enough.

Just some thoughts.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

I agree Charlesx

I'm entered in the American/Canadian group 5

Proxy we haven't started the series and there are a few penalties that have been applied regarding (1 car was sent with silicon tyres was fixed but has a penalty-5 points ) 2nd car is a spring steel chassis but the braids were to long causing arcing problem they where trimmed but 5 point penalty....

My 2cnts worth

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

so, for next year, some of you want to add penalties... the fact that the fix apply after the stage is good as we both finished last on that stage. If you want a parc ferme, so be it. But i see the fun of racing to be more important than applying penalties in slotcar. I screw up with my tires this year and if it happens to someone else next year, i would be happy to fix it and move on without penalties. i vote against.

my 2 cnts:).

8. Modifications Repairs & Pre-event Checks To Cars During The Series.

a) Once a car has passed a technical inspection its technical specification cannot be changed.

Specifically:

- Gear ratio.

- Motor spec,

- Guide type,

- Wheel / Tyre size and compound.

An allowance will be made before the series begins to correct a technical spec that is in breach of the rules

B) In the event of a mechanical failure, components can be replaced but must be of the same spec as originally entered.

c) If a car requires a tyre or (“racing”) braid change a 25 point penalty will be incurred.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Hi all. I agree with Curef99 that we are there to have fun but surely if somebody enters they do so subject to the rules laid down.

I wonder about the fairness of the 25 point penalty however but have never really thought about it before. A driver may only get a 100 points for whole event. I see the winning totals last year were 86, 83 and 127.

Is 25 points perhaps a little steep? Just a thought for the next OZ Rally series.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx