Chassis Jigs And Other Supplies

Backo

Gday

I have some resin casts on the way from Munter (cheers mate, I cant wait for these to turn up), and I have been looking into making some brass chassis'. Can anyone recommend somewhere to obtain a chassis jig in Aus?

What solder and flux are you brass experts using? Just a plain 60/40? Or a quality silver solder and acid flux?

Are there any basic websites to give good ideas and advice for beginners?

Cheers,

Sam

Where are you located Sam? May be someone nearby who dabbles in making their own brass chassis.

I picked up one of the honeycomb ceramic blocks to use as a chassis jig -

Like this one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ceramic-Honeycomb-Soldering-Block-Plate-Jewellers-Heat-Proof-Board-135x95x13mm-/322111596327?hash=item4aff58e727:g:08kAAOSw74FXOuvZ

Jewellery shops have them

I use normal 60/40 solder most of the time,with Bakers Flux.

If you look at the VRAA and IPS threads you will see plenty of scratchbuilt chassis.

As you are just starting out, you could use a piece of MDF maker out with axle lines and a center line.

Drill some pin holes and used nails with the heads removed. This will be OK for a couple of chassis.

That way you will not be spending a lot of money if you decide scratchbuilding is not for you.

I have seen a lot of guys buy jigs and try one chassis and give up.

Edited by kalbfellp

Thanks for the tips. DM, I'm in Molong, NSW. There is a club in Dubbo, but I'm yet to head over there and meet them.

Well I went and bought some tube and flux and gave myself a crash course in soldering tube last night. It turned out ok, and strong, but have decided that I need a slightly larger heat torch. The solder didn't flow as well as I wanted around the back of the joint. The one I was using is a cigar lighter and was just a bit small and my butane soldering iron isn't good enough to get the job done. It's more suited to automotive wiring for which it was designed. I have also discovered that a fine hacksaw is still too course for such small tube.

I now have on my shopping list:

• Dremel tool (I need one of these badly) and assorted fittings.
  • Larger butane torch
  • Brass stock
  • Ceramic honeycomb plate.
  • Axles, bearings, motor plates etc.

So pretty much everything!! :rolleyes:

ef65ec38.jpg

adc41e6c.jpg

f9df9bfb.jpg

Edited by Backo

Please keep posting I am interested how you go

I'm looking to try soon as well, just got some brass tube today for a fly mod project, but would love to have a go at chassis building in the future.

Will follow with interest.

I will do ZeGas. At this stage it will only be practice on the tube stock I have, until I have the time to sit down and properly design a chassis next month. I have holidays in a couple of weeks with the family, heading up north to the coast. Mr 3yo has never seen the ocean, so a beach holiday is in order.

I'll organise a new torch this week and get some more practice in before going away though. But you are more than welcome to post your progress in here, I think the comparisons would be beneficial to us both.