jphanna

Magnetic Effect Query

hi guys, just got a question for the electronic buffs.....

when you put a car with magentic efect on a magnabraid track, you can feel the force pulling the car down.

what about when the same motor is at full revs? does that same magnetic force change at full revs?

maybe its a dumb question? i just need to know.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

You mean a car with magnets or a car with mag. effect motor.

Either way the effect is from permanent magnets either in the car or in the motor, so the effect is permanent. If the effect was from an electromagnet the effect would only be when power is applied to the motor, so you would feel nothing when the car is stationary.

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

I think the question is more like, 'does the magnetic field from a spinning armature reduce the magnetic effect to the track from the can magnets?'.

To which I believe 'not really' is the answer.

Of course, I would love to see an answer based on theory rather than practice.

Hey John will bring in a magnet marshall tomorrow night and do some testing.

Ray

Edited by Ratracer

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

you put a car on a magnet marshal obviously not running. say it measures 300grams. if that same car could be measured at full revs, what then would the magnet marshall measure at that speed, with a current running through the arm?

i jsut figure that the magnetic effect MUST vary with all that current running through the motor at 25K revs.........

Yes just need take the spur/crown off and get power to the braids/motor. Will bring all the gear tonight

Edited by Ratracer

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

Team Thunderbird

Would be interesting to remove the wheels instead so that you can load up the rear axle...

Yes just need take the spur/crown off and get power to the braids/motor. Will bring all the gear tonight

Don't forget that most cars cannot take "slow" corners at more than about 7-8v so you don't need to go nuts on the voltage. As on the straights any change in attraction won't matter so much...

My money is on no difference but...

Edited by FLY in the wall

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

On my obversations of using a couple of mag assisted motors using soft tyres at the same time is the combination of the two when motor heats up does give you more mag attraction and running a low car on Carrera track does seem to act as ground affect as the cars when warmed up start to touch the rails in places something they did not do at first not scientific chaps just observation.

Well last night Ray (Ratracer) did the official test . we did have Skype hooked up, with CSIRO and NASA on the other end. We also had unofficially , Niki Lauda, as an interested onlooker.

The result was no power - 109 grams

Various power right up to 12 volt - 109 grams

so that chapter is closed.....

^ but you don't know until you try?

The purists will not approve.....but magna braid with magnetic effect motors in racing add a new dimension. taken me a few years to figure it out, but a slight change in set up, and a slight change in driving style can reap great rewards.

So from last nights test there was no magnetic difference. There was a slight 1-3 gram increase on the scale with the torque from the motor but this deminished over time.

The very basics are the lower the motor to the track the more mag effect. There will be more resistance down the straights and there will be higher motor temps.

To get the best of both worlds just put the magna braid on the corner sections (as needed for the track layout) and non magna braid on the straights.

The readings from the magnet marshal would be similar to meral rails on say scaley tracks but will not be as great on magna braid, I did a scale lifting check some years ago and there is quit a difference.

Ray

Team Thunderbird

Kev, im dumb.

You know that.

What about the other day when out cars were cover in red stuff? Tyres, chassis, a mysterious red product that we had no idea where it come from . the track was covered in red as well. It took 2.5 hours before you discovered the it was the red rag I had in my hands all night that I used to wiping excess water off track with.

Roger,

the diagnostic equipment that Ray used, was returned to Big W. we didnt check tyre stuff.