My 1st review

6 replies to this topic

#1 branco

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

At the request of a forum member I shall do a review of my new black arrow ferrari 458 gt3.

As an avid fan of GT3 racing and motorcycle racing I couldn't fight the temptation any longer and purchased the Valentino Rossi liveried 458.
The car comes in a black box. Personally i'm not a fan of this, i like to see my cars in a display case (although i am not a collector), that way when i open the draw were i keep them i can immediately see which car i want to use. If you have 4 of these you may want to mark the outside of each box so you know which one is which.

Posted Image

Upon opening the box we find a half prepared chassis. Look in the lid and the body is wrapped in some nice foam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Under the plinth you will find all the goodies to complete your car. So is this a kit? I dunno, but as a racer i quite like the fact that i do not have to disassemble a new purchase to prepare it to my set up requirements.

Posted Image

The stock motor is rated at 28k, I have read that most owners swop out this for something more mild. I have opted for the NSR 21.4k motor and have used the axle, spur gear and pinion from NSR also.
I have had no issues with this transplant which all went together smoothly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The motor pod is fitted with suspension and looks and works well, although i trued and glued 20 x 10 supergrips onto the aluminium rear wheels, i should have fitted 19 x 10 as there is some tyre rub when the suspension does its thing. Not a problem for me as I like to run a firm set up on my wood track.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The finished article...

Posted Image

The on track performance is stunning. My NSR Audi R8 fitted with the exact same set up has a best lap time on my track of 7.44s, the Black Arrow Ferrari got down to 7.29s and thats without some fiddling with pod tightness and body float so i do expect that time to come down.

I have probably missed some basic facts and figures for this car so please feel free to ask some questions. The clock is ticking for the start of Bathurst!!!

Cheers

Edited by branco, 09 October 2016 - 09:22 AM.

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd
2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd
2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd
2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd
2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd
2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

#2 aquakiwi

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Awesome looking car.......I haven,t got any Black Arrows.........yet.

#3 Caddo

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'd be interested in the gear mesh of the original gears supplied with the car if possible? Especially as a comparison to NSR gears.

Did you brace the rear end to eliminate chatter?

#4 branco

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

No rear end bracing, no rear end chatter.
Original gears never fitted so I can't do a comparison but I hear from other reviews that the mess good.

#5 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

Have their alloy rims gotten any better, I have two of their DBR9's and the alloy is so soft a slight over tighten strips the thread.

They are brilliant cars though, I lost interest in them when they stopped the DBR's and went to Ferrari, not that big a fan, but I am of VR so me better get me one of them.
Mesh is brilliant with original gears on inline, no paste required to bed. With the anglewinder if set up right they are great too, I use a cut off piece of latex glove to space and have had no problems.
It is a shame they lost the license to the DBR's.

EDIT
OK maybe I won't, they're out.

Edited by ZeGas, 11 October 2016 - 10:05 AM.

Cheers Grant
Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis ($15+pp)

If life gives you lemons, take them, free s#!t is cool.

Instagram:.....__ZeGas__

#6 branco

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

Haven't had a problem with the rims as yet

#7 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

Good mesh good rims. Smooth to drive and consistent handling. We've found the stock motors don't 'feel' 28k when running together, i suspect they draw a greater amperage than my vintage power supply is comfortable with, an issue we've never experienced before. If we run both at one time the power is really jumpy, so i'll change them out for 18k or 20k scaleauto motors to match the other 6 or so recent gt3 acquisitions.
We've found them to be a little fragile, wings off every five seconds, grills falling out, mine even lost a chunk of front splitter from the chassis. Both cars broke portions of guide blade 'blade'.
Mine was missing a pinion when it arrived too, bummer.
Sounds like a gripe yes? No. I will get another should another livery draw me in like a moth to a bug zapper like the Momo f458 did, what a stunning looker.
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users