Sign in to follow this  
charlesx

Thundershot Lola

Hi all.

I spent last weekend at 1/32 Magnet Meeting in Porirua, Wellington, NZ. Great time had by all.

While there I talked myself into buying the Lola. Hardly needed another car but it looked so good.

I will do a review over next few days and hope to run at club meeting Sunday. Cannot claim to be the best person at setting up a car but I will do my best. Intention is to run standard except for gluing/truing tyres.

Will add to this post as I progress.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

PS. Had hoped to paste in from WORD doc but would not work so may take a little longer. Will doi stages.

Thunderslot Lola T70 Review

Purchased new 2 October 2016 - $120NZ. Supplier added in packet of 4 Thunderslot tyres worth $10. The car is packaged in usual clear plasitic box with car secured with PK screw.

Nicely presented with great paintwork and decals but no drivers names. I must check actual car.

Car is very light at 62.6gms. Body about 17gms and rolling chassis 45gms. This is compared with my standard Slot-it Toyota at 68gms. Could not compare with my NSR Classic as it is weighted. The interior and driver looks good and the engine intakes, exhaust systems and spare wheel are accurately modelled. Will be interesting to see how it goes in durability stakes. Further enhancements include well modelled headlights, mirrors, filler caps, door handles and rear tail lights.

Treaded tyres look authentic with only slight moulding marks. They are quite loose on wheels so will definitely need gluing (particularly on rear. Front wheels are plastic and rear ali air hubs. Inserts look really smart.

Front axle has 4 adjustment scrub screws (2 on top and 2 below) set up at factory with a little vertical movement. The chassis is set up to add independent front wheels. The bottom screws also secure a plastic channel which is slotted to accommodate the power pick-up wires. Much easier and sturdier than some other models.

Car has a few innovations which I really like. The guide wires are secured with 2 scrub screw through the front of the guide rather than push in ferals or scrub screws through the top. I also like the 8mm chassis screws (3 x M2.5) with an allen key head. Some other models have very short PK screws which have a habit of coming out unless really tight. Not the best if you want some chassis/body movement. The heads are the same pattern as all other screws used in the model which is really convenient. An allen key would have been a nice touch but none was included.

The standard chassis is very flexible but running will be the test of the motor mount. Stiffer/harder models of both are offered but I thought model expensive enough. My preference is to always stay with standard fittings but I will reneg on tyres if standard on do not work out.

Dimension wise I had heard some suggestions re over scale. Have not checked yet but note rear track 60mm and front 56.5mm (total width over tyres). The body over the rear arches however is 65mm which seems quite wide. Not sure how this compares to scale or likes of NSR Mosler. Length is about 130mm. Whatever a most impressive looking model.

Completed track trial today at Green Acres - our home 3 lane 20m wood track. Remember no chassis straightening, weight - only glued and trued tyres although they did not seem to sand at all. I may have knocked some of the blemishes off at best. Car was nothing short of sensational. I was almost immediately able to get to NSR Classic or Slot-it Group C pace. Car was sure footed, had good speed and cornered like on rails. Everybody was most impressed with cars performance, construction and looks. I am one happy chappy and glad I purchased. There was some talk about fitting race tyres and classes it could run in (would probably have to be open GT) but I will more than happy to leave as is in meantime at least.

While I was really only running in my brother Young Paul and I did a few faster laps and managed a few decent crashes to test durability. Car came through with flying colours. It can only get better. By far the best car I have ever struck virtually straight out of the box.

Edited by charlesx

Look forward to this Chas, was good to catch up with you last weekend

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Interesting to see how much we agree on this car Chas as you may have read my comments and i,ve found the two i have , have only got better as they run in , the Surtees one which I've had for about 3 weeks is so sweet and very fast indeed on all parts of the circuit cannot wait for more from this firm.

Hi all.

See comments above to date. Have oiled, run in for 15mins, lightly sanded all tyres after first gluing rear ones. First track test tomorrow.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I await your report Chas, all mine are stock standard apart from slightly larger tyres on the front of the white kit as i couldn,t get the fronts to even touch the track, I havent added weight as my track provides no indication on set up (look at my Grp 5 Beemer) I did do the hot water tratment to the chassis's. I haven't glued tyres as I'm waiting to see what others run . On tyres, I see SCC Canada is adveritising a urethene tyre specifically for these.

Can't wait for the spyder version.

I just love these Lolas

IMG_1092_zpshpeeyxdm.jpg

IMG_1114_zpsafv2wqyy.jpg

IMG_1112_zpsvazanaac.jpg

I'm kinda glad (and sos my bank manager) that TS didn't bring out two many liveries at once, The T70 and Ferrari P3/4 have to be the sexiest cars ever made....after my Holden.

The T70 and Ferrari P3/4 have to be the sexiest cars ever made....after my Holden.

Here's hoping Thunderslot have the P3/4 firmly in their sights. Would be too good.

"sexiest cars .... after my Holden".... there's one sexy Holden, 1st name's Amanda

ps. the Piper car's the best looking of the bunch Alan

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

That's pretty much my impressions Chas, although my track is very short, they lap faster than anything else I own.May try different tyres and perhaps a smidgen of weight in the pod.

You have it just about right there Chas but i would add after a good run in they are even better , agree they are quite expensive and when you go to upgrade the chassis to hard it,s another £11 on top but boy these cars are B fast so well balanced and so much fun.

Has anyone fitted the suspension kit yet? I have one but haven't a clue how to fit it. If anyone could shed some info/pics. TS website doesn't help much.

Basically i started at the rear take the old screws out loosened of the rest pushed the new long screws through to the new rear stiffening bar from underneath fit spring over screw the spring fits snugly in the plastic cup in the stiffening bar and screw it gradually in but just enough to bite that way its easier to fit the other back spring into the other cup and then just tighten the rear screws up slightly and repeat going forward, with the 3 new cups you will notice that the little plastic lugs on the chassis fit and move up and down in in the slot of the new cups .

Right i have found that having the rear 2 screws tighter than the side screws with the front one slightly looser than the side one's is the way to go on Carrera track so reckon that should be ok for any other plastic track, how ever on wood found you need all the side and rear screws tighter with just the front one a little looser but you will find the setting that's right for you just by trying minute adjustments, also found the car runs better on all tracks with no excessive body movement if any at all on wood, for wood would recommend the hard chassis kit , have one car set up with the original chassis with suspension kit, and the other car set up with the hard chassis and suspension kit and it's this car which is quicker on wood by a fraction, but fractions count don't they, oh one last thing added weight in both cars up front but a bit more in the pod.

Hi all.

Sorry have not been back to my review for a couple of months. We only race every 2-3 weeks and wanted to give car a real good run before going further.

Have now run car at 3 race meetings with a 4th tomorrow. Car has been kept in exactly OTB trim apart from gluing and sanding tyres and lubrication.

Have had to run in open GT class so it has been up against modified Moslers. While not disgraced car has been blown off on straights so no surprise there. It consistently performs at least as well as a modified NSR Classic and not far off a good Slol-it Group C however.

Must say that my brother (Young Paul) ran in one other class last meeting as he did not have a suitable car and managed to knock about 0.2 secs off my best time so clearly some room for improvement (by me anyway). Something I was keen to test however was potential for body. Have to say it has come through with flying colours.

At this stage I have have no intention to modify (enjoying too much as is) but will try some N22 or perhaps Thundershot tyres soon just to see comparison.

If I had any criticism - car will lift guide out of slot if I accelerate too fast. A bit like NSR.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx
  • Upvote 1

I managed to work suspension out but on my little track did not notice much difference, I have two other unmodified ones (didn't I mention I like Lola's).So I guess it will be a little change at a time comparing each along the way, might try some NSR tyres and possibly harder pod as my track is wood.Waiting for a new screen on my track lap counting so I can't get an accurate time as yet.Thanks Peter and Charles for your input.

Interesting to read that you have to race this car in open GT class. Which class do you run the NSR classics?

Strange that I haven't purchased 1 of these yet, would like to see 1 go up against my NSR P68 and Mk iv.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Couple of points weight up front eliminates any lift even running a Cobra 25 in it as regards the P68 the Cobra one is considerably better than my NSR 25 k P68 one, both on NSR ultras and the Lola has it in the tighter bends such flat handling

Hi Branco and Peter.

We do not run NSR ClassIcs in Taranaki although a couple us have them. Your classic also is no doubt much better than mine. Lola currenly up to 0.2 secs faster but not in my hands. I tend to try too hard against the Moslers and come out of slot too much. Probably need to have another good training run but not sure when that will be.

Had my first mishap with Lola this morning. Exhaust and spare tyre enclosure fell off (when I was cleaning tyres) but easily replaced as nothing actually broken. They do not appear to have been glued.

Acknowledge what you say about weight Peter but I do not want to go down that path yet. Want to keep car completely standard.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I'd like to see where others put their weight, having no one to race against I'm pushing S... uphill, my own results are erratic to say the least.

Change of subject, anyone have any news on the Lola Spyders?

Hi Aquakiwi.

Most of us learnt by trial and error. Peter's suggestion re keeping nose down seems right but every car is different. Some say put on chassis and others in pod. For non-podded a lump immediately in front of motor is a good starting point. Always keep lead as low as possible.

Weight however should only be a last resort but with rally cars around 100-110gms overall weight seems to work. Know matter what you do get the basis right first. A weighted car still needs to run smoothly to perform well.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Will try to get a picture put on here of my hard chassis set up which is my P68 eater , running the Cobra motor geared at 11x32 through a single flanged ball race rear axle set up, fitted with NSR 20X10's glued and trued wheels/tyres on the rear weighted for plastic track and springs set looser for that track, on wood a bit more lead on the places carrying it and tighten the springs especially the rear.

S_Lola_zpsqqb9an4m.jpg

Has there been anything more on the Spyders? Considering its only a body change and no apparent change to the running gear I'd have thought we'd have seen them by now.

There are four t70 spyder liveries coming, however i don't beleive the date has been announced. Slotcar today mentioned them yesterday or the day before.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

I tested mine for parity against a bunch of Fly Porsche's, an NSR P68 and my Slot.it MkIV this week.

New track too, so a challenge all round.

Lola is modded to meet out classics class rules:

- replace motorwork with a Jack Rabbit

- replace rear tyres with some PGXPG's I had sitting around.

Run.

The test was run by the quickest 5 guys in the Club, back to back against their own car. NSR & Slot.it or full prodded chassis must run Jack Rabbit or BWA-NC1. All other cars can run an 18k S-can (fly etc).

The Lola was about as quick as the fastest Fly Porsche, but much quicker around the corners. Is about 0.3-0.4 sec faster than my NSR Ford GT40 MkIV

Really didnt need to float around the corners - just brake and go hard again (soft chassis and loose pod).

The real key however is drivability. Easy and not 11/10ths all the time. Still to work out how I can be allowed to use it...

Tony

Oz

Hi all.

My OTB testing continues. Unfortunately running against open GT's so totally out-gunned. Only problem is lack of a class to run in. I still see no reason to modify however. It is a dream to drive at least on local tracks.

One option well testing is durability in crashes. Has had several really bad ones including a head on today. Appears to have come off unscathed. I did have the exhaust come off once but it clipped back in place without problem has not been any trouble since.

OTB rear tyres are really good. With tread pattern they never need cleaning unlike the usual slicks.

Regards Chas Le Breton