Caddo

Difalco Controller - Losing Brakes

Hi all,

A couple of our club racers have found the DiFalco controllers tend to lose brakes intermittently after regular use, requiring regular cleaning of the round headed brake screw and trigger brake plate that contacts the screw.

I've flattened off the screw head where it contacts the trigger brake plate to increase the contact patch, hoping that will help minimise the problem of losing brakes & regular cleaning.

Has anyone experienced this before and found a permanent solution?

Cheers

Caddo

Best way to clean is Brasso or Autosol , any time my brakes seem to go its usually tarnish on the contacts clean with these and brakes and responsiveness comes back big time ,,,shiny is good.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Its funny, but I couldn't see any visual evidence of tarnish, though the trigger brake plate did have a depression from the screw head.

Looks like a light sand and brasso every now and then is the go to avoid frustrating car damage/lost laps when brakes are lost unexpectedly

Cheers

Caddo

I entered an enduro once with a team mate starting the 30min stints of driving. We qualified in first place and carefully made our lane preference.

He was using a difalco controller.

On about the third lap the car screamed down the straight and............

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I'm probably not typical of other Difalco users, living close to the sea, but my Difalco is now retired as , for the 2nd time, I'm unable to use the controller , no brakes and no sensitivity working.

After an expensive trip to Florida where Jim refurbished the controller( 5 years old at the time) I only got about 18 months out of that rebuild before the same problems resurfaced, very annoying!

Now I have a SlotIt controller and I'm very happy with that, but I do keep it in a air tight container when its not being used.

Pity , because I've got a really nice controller sitting somewhere in an unusable condition, certainly not going to do the round trip to Florida again, for that sort of money I will get change back from buying a new slotit controller.

Before someone chips in with the do this and do that suggestion, I've done all that, Jim was quite clear in how I should maintain the controller.

Edited by terry

Hi Guys,

Well I must be the exception here. I've got two Difalco controllers one of the earlier 300 series and a later 304 which I've had for a couple of years now. Though initially I had some of the issues described on the earlier model particularly the mid range sensitivity. I've followed Jim's advice on servicing the controller with a regular routine and have had no problems with my controller since. Others obviously disagree but that's been my experience anyway.

Alan