Italian Job - Minis And Coach

choc-ice

This was a much bigger task than I first imagined. Here's the idea: build the Harrington Legionnaire coach from the 1969 Italian Job film, sounds straightforward?

What this actually translated into was:

1. Design the coach with its opening rear doors, floor to let the Minis drive inside, steering and everything else to make such a huge vehicle work on a regular Scalextric track.

2. Agonise over how to manufacture a few copies. Slush cast? Pressure cast? 3D print? A mixture of a 3D printed front, slush cast roof and fabricated floor? Revisit this several times over the course of its development.

3. Source some Mini Coopers and almost fall over in horror as I realise they are far too rare and expensive to mess about with.

4. Make a resin Mini bodyshell.

5. Come up with a completely new chassis to fit under the Mini with its tiny overhang, the main problem being a rear axle contrate gear that's smaller diameter than the tiny wheels and tyres.

Yeah, yeah, stop the moaning and get on with the pictures, will you? As usual, the coach started with a 3D model

Bus1_zpskktkczre.jpg

Make sure the Minis will fit inside, design a steering system which is a modification of my normal system being wider and linked together.

Bus7_zpst267medi.jpg

The torque to move all of this comes from the same 2 stage gear reduction system used on the truck I built last year. Not especially speedy but plenty of go to deal with all the weight.

Hinged doors and ramp came next.

Bus10_zpsemurcblr.jpg

And they were printed. it's 340mm long, 13½ inches!

_20160615_152625_zpsf2cippge.jpg

Paint, graphics and we're done!

_20160817_221127_zpsj8c3idyt.jpg

_20160817_221506_zpsxdzipaup.jpg

_20160817_222726_zps12xuslbr.jpg

For the Minis I made a resin bodyshell based on a mixture of Scalextric and Airfix parts

IMG_20160428_221117_zpsuai8aqh2.jpg

The chassis uses motor and rear axle from the Carrera Go cars. It doesn't need suspension like my other slot cars as Minis don't lean in corners, but it does need steering so I used the front end from my PCS32 steering.

Mini3_zpsgfvsv6yw.jpg

Mini2_zpssglsxzdj.jpg

Get the graphics done and build it up.

DSC_0011_11_zpsfawadqt4.jpg

And this is how they look together.

20160830_211059_zpslbfmppqc.jpg

_20160830_211502_zpstxp0aglm.jpg

_20160817_223030_zpsjcakjvoa.jpg

When I've got a little more time I'll do a video for these, but the Minis seem to work well on the track.

And so does the coach. Don't be a wimp with the power, kick the tail out and get it sliding so the inside rear wheel doesn't drop off the inside curve.

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

Bloody Nora, that's brilliant.

Will you use lead weight or gold bullion for ballast.

From historical evidence I would suggest not to put too much at the rear.

Did you use solidworks for the modelling?

I would love a set of those, if you ever decided to sell (some hope huh).

Yep, that is AWESOME.

Once again, well done.

Will you use lead weight or gold bullion for ballast.

From historical evidence I would suggest not to put too much at the rear.

Good point, well made.

Did you use solidworks for the modelling?

I would love a set of those, if you ever decided to sell (some hope huh).

I use PTC Creo for the modelling as it's what I use for my day job.

I'll make a limited number of kits, but you'll need to sit down before checking the price of the coach. AUS$515 is not cheap, but it makes the Mini look good value at AUS$43

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

Damn you, you should have said sit down right at the top and in BIG BOLD LETTERS now I got a nasty bump on my head. :blink:

That price is certainly way out of my wife's league, and she is the key you know.