Latest Builds

slotmadmac

Haven't raced a car in anger with it yet so hard to know. I'd seal it with acrylic first regardless. It's a game changer in terms of modelling chrome - that's for sure.

Hi Mac

I just started playing with the Liquid Chrome pens while building a couple of MRRC clubman kits. Have found even after the painted part is left to dry for few days, when you touch the "Chrome" part with your finger it goes dull and you lose the chrome effect ie without some sort of clear coating, the finish is not going to last too long on areas of a slot car that is subject to constant handling or rubbing. Be okay for interior detailing.

Tried clear coating with spray can of Model master Ultra Gloss using couple of mist coats rather than a wet coat but it instantly reacted and turned the finish into painted flat silver. Have read on a special effects forum that Future floor polish may work as it's acrylic - it will be a case of experiment.

Let me know how you go when you coat the finish.

PS - you have some nice builds here especially the 275P - I have one too.

Our club has just started a new class for MRRC Clubman kits with rules allowing any of the MRRC white kit bodies.

One of our guys who is a modeller from way back has been having a ball painting all the different bodies - I think he is up to 10.

Regards

Mike

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Haven't raced a car in anger with it yet so hard to know. I'd seal it with acrylic first regardless. It's a game changer in terms of modelling chrome - that's for sure.

Hi Mac

I just started playing with the Liquid Chrome pens while building a couple of MRRC clubman kits. Have found even after the painted part is left to dry for few days, when you touch the "Chrome" part with your finger it goes dull and you lose the chrome effect ie without some sort of clear coating, the finish is not going to last too long on areas of a slot car that is subject to constant handling or rubbing. Be okay for interior detailing.

Tried clear coating with spray can of Model master Ultra Gloss using couple of mist coats rather than a wet coat but it instantly reacted and turned the finish into painted flat silver. Have read on a special effects forum that Future floor polish may work as it's acrylic - it will be a case of experiment.

Let me know how you go when you coat the finish.

PS - you have some nice builds here especially the 275P - I have one too.

Our club has just started a new class for MRRC Clubman kits with rules allowing any of the MRRC white kit bodies.

One of our guys who is a modeller from way back has been having a ball painting all the different bodies - I think he is up to 10.

Regards

Mike

from the research I have done with these chrome pens it looses that bright shine once any form of clear coat goes on

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

• 1 month later...

A box of Scalex junkers recently arrived from the UK. Lesson learnt. Never buy cars off your phone without blowing up the image first.

Rather than resell them / throw them in the bin in anger, I took on the challenge and a TR7 is underway in another thread.

A badly crumpled mini was salvaged and turned into this:

mini_zpswwv1digj.jpg

It's a lovely runner now. Stock except for new rears / guide / ballast. It laps my track in 7.8s. Clear coated primer has become a firm favourite in my turd polished fleet.

This old jag was quite a surprise.

jag1_zps50mpmw68.jpg

Again it's stock except for new rears / guide / ballast but it's quite the performer - lapping my track with a best time of 7.2s. I remember working on one of these about 10 years ago with nowhere near that result so its rewarding to see all the accumulated tuning knowledge paying real divvies.

Working on these wrecks was a welcome relief from building cars for the 2017 NZ RTR Nationals. I'm much happier in this sandpit than a NSR / Slot It one.

Podiums are for short people.

I've found the same thing as Mike using the chrome pen, did around the windows of a MRRC Porsche and a week later its still tacky, used it on a MRRC Corvette and used a bit of heating to speed things up and melted the body, (this was after munter had just vac formed some windows for it) never was a good cook.

Edited by aquakiwi