Latest Builds

slotmadmac

MRRC 275 kit. SRP 16k motor. Fantasy livery.

mrrc275_zpsboamghfu.jpg

I've had this on the go for a while and finally got around to putting some decent rear wheels and tyres on it. I used FLY alloys and N22s. I cut the hubs off the alloys to get the wheels under the arches and epoxied the wheels to the axle. Turned down the original wheels for inserts. It goes good.

Next up was a Carrera Concept Camaro body I picked up. HSR1 Chassis. Piranha Motor - sidewinder setup.

camaro2_zpsfevmfdkl.jpg

camaro1_zpsbujydfgf.jpg

As expected there was a ton of extra plastic in this body that was dremelled out but, on testing, the car needed a lot of ballast to be stable on the track. I don't have a lot of HRS experience but went for the outrigger and cup body mount. I think I might ditch this for traditional front and rear body posts. This car is already heavy and I think that option will reduce the corner deslots i'm currently experiencing. One thing's for sure - the Piranha motors are a great addition. 21.5k. Very torquey. Only $20. I'm a fan.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

Today's time in the slot cave was spent tooling around with a Scalextric c.43 McLaren M9A from the early 70's. My collection of bits had most of the body parts - but it needed a rear wing and engine details and all the running gear.

Here it is assembled with new tyres.

mcl1_zpsr2cnogce.jpg

I have a few NOS RX Motors in the parts drawer and this was an ideal opportunity. I also slipped in a modern guide.

mcl2_zpsn6pkqffx.jpg

These RX motored cars are pure nostalgia for me. The smell of them running takes me back to my childhood in a nanosecond.

mcl3_zps06otfhfv.jpg

In my book the M9A was an ugly sucker - perhaps the ugliest McLaren ever. Here's a c.43 complete:

mcl5_zpsmad5gnox.png

Thankfully that radical wing has long parted company with my c.43 so I will play around with something from the parts bin. Possibly this:

mcl4_zpsh9wqqur3.jpg

Possibly not.

After running V8s in our roster this week I thought it was time to lower one - as allowed under our revised club rules.

I took the car to Crockett's Body Shop. Dave widened the body for me - slowly flaring the guards using a heat gun. This was cool to watch. Slow and steady is the trick here.

v82_zpso5yeabgq.jpg

After much fettling I ended up with this. It has about 1mm chassis clearance now.

v81_zpso2oqtgiu.jpg

New guide. Front axle raised and tubed. Rear bushes raised in their cradles. Axles shortened. The small axle collar on all the wheels shaved off to reduce wheel width. Rear wheel arch slightly widened. Body posts lowered. Ballast added.

This work dropped laps times by over half a second. Well worth the effort.

Edited by slotmadmac

to

If the rear wheels were reduced at the collar how come you needed to push the guards out? wider axle?

To get the wheels aside the body as you lower it.

It's still not as fast as my stock Holden though. That car has always been fast, If I lower that one the V8 gloat will be mine. All mine!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a SRC Lola T600 on the bench today. Lovely looking car but all reports are that it's a bit of a dog that suffers from a poor chassis - a common complaint with the SRC range.

src2_zpsnxveqh0q.jpg

Working it up was straightforward. I dremelled off any surplus raised parts on the inside of the chassis to help with body float. I flattened the chassis and epoxyed on brass sections to stop longitudinal flex, and put a Slot It back end on it (this has been braced to the motor since the pic below). It's running NSR utragrips on the back now.

src1_zpsth2qakhm.jpg

On testing the car was smooth and quite nimble but shuddered at times in the corners. Cross bracing may be required. These SRC chassis's are soft as.

• 6 months later...

I recently picked up a Scalextric Datsun King Cab complete with new urethanes all round. It was the dreaded Ninja Turtle variant. No wonder it was cheap! The plan was to see if I could get it to run sweet on my wood track and, if I can, I'll collect 3 more for a house class for our local racing group.

These cars came from the infamous Scalextric banked curve era - so in stock format the front wheels sit 5mm above the track. A quick bit of dremel work and that problem was solved. I tubed the front axle, replaced the clunky original crown gear with a Slot It and all the usual glue, true, body float blueprinting. I added plenty of chassis ballast too. Here it is ready for testing...

truck_zpsnb7gr2vx.jpg

... and on the track it was surprisingly good. It could be driven quite hard in the corners and was predictable and smooth. Result!

This one is in the paint shop now and I'm on the lookout for 3 more. I'll re-power them with SRP16k motors. I think the boys are gonna love them.

The King Cab ended up here.

truck1_zpsbkafxwf2.jpg

truck2_zpsaovmuvu1.jpg

truck3_zps3foud5zw.jpg

I think the local boys will be surprised how good this truck runs on the track. This was also my first chance to experiment with a Molotow liquid chrome pen. I used it on the head lights/ door handle / mirrors here. Excellent product. Highly recommended.

A very rough(!) Scalextric Camaro body got a refresh with a sportsman vibe to accomodate one of the budget eBay Avant Slot chassis's detailed in another thread.

cam4_zps4xmekm34.jpg

cam5_zps8kcw5tsd.jpg

cam6_zpssrtyoucw.jpg

cam7_zpsuyjfkkam.jpg

It runs well and I like the stance. It's currently sporting a simple lexan interior from its former life as a competition racer. A simple job for the weekend to sort that out.

Haven't raced a car in anger with it yet so hard to know. I'd seal it with acrylic first regardless. It's a game changer in terms of modelling chrome - that's for sure.

where did you get the pen from and how much are they

I am keen to try it out

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

ANZAC day gave me unexpected shed time with an old Scalextric Renault on the bench. These are my favourite class in our club racing roster. The motor in my current car was slowing so a fresh build was the go, Some paint and basic detailing was added. Build details follow a simple recipe and are here.

r3_zpsmkyx2mbh.jpg

r2_zps3womnoci.jpg

r1_zpsnuwqppcc.jpg

If you race on gloss tracks and haven't had a crack at one of these bad boys, you don't know what you're missing.