Oldschool Scaley Brabham Bt49

Wobble

My Lotus has a different body/chassis, the motor and axles are attached to the upper body and it has a lower pan screwed to it, any tips on improving this set up? I'll tube the front axle and probably replace the guide.

I've a few of those Lotus bodies( is it Lotii?) and for now I've put them into the too hard box,

The Ligier is just about done but I'm still not happy on the motor mount, been trying to avoid gluing the motor in but it may be the only solution.

The motor has 2 motor screws holding it in place but I'm still getting a bit of movement, maybe I should do a pic to better explain, the hot wax gun awaits!

It'll be a challenge then................. or a casualty.

still, with a set of Ultragrips and some lead on the pan it might go as well if not better than the modern Scaley F1's.

They pretty much have to run tight and there isn't much room to add ballast.

I've been thinking about getting a Scaley Ferrari 643 for ages now so I'll have to have a closer look to see if they have the same mounting system

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a Scaley Ferrari 643 for ages now so I'll have to have a closer look to see if they have the same mounting system

The 643 chassis is the traditional chassis style - easy to work on. I've never had real success with that F1 style though. The Brabhams / Renaults are a half a second faster on my track.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

I've tubed the front axle, put smaller diameter tyres on, Ultra grips on the rear ???? on the front, lowered it and fitted a better guide and its a lot quicker, oh and some lead up front.

Have you tried Pauls XPG F1 tyres?

All my F1 cars have them, they last, stay well gripped throughout and are easy to true.

I have a 4 of these Indycars I am working into a house class for a 2 or 3 hour race on a club night later this year. They're often cheap as chips on the auction sites.

indy2_zpsusi9jclb.jpg

I've kept the stock guide. The body pivots off a screw forward of the guide and a male / female slot at the rear of the chassis. The male part has been filed down to get some body rock.

indy1_zpsuk5hbnzb.jpg

Interestingly, i tested the car this morning before I braced the rear end with piano wire. The bracing not only smoothed the car considerably it dropped the lap times by 0.4s.

You can even shoehorn a Mabuchi into the Tyrrell Elf with some dremel action and JB Weld. It's chassis is like Aquakiwi's Lotus above where the running gear is fixed to the body not the chassis so there is a bit more work to do.

elf1_zpshfr8y4ye.jpg

Space is limited but bracing the rear is a must.

elf2_zps38i4omrs.jpg

This car was released with the Johnson motor but a Mabuchi fits if you widen the motor cavity and get the Mabuchi as low as possible. You'll need to dremel out some material from inside body above the motor as well.

elf3_zpsisfqnf2h.jpg

This car laps my 95' track under 7s when pushed and is another stable, predictable car.

I realised I had never had a crack at giving a Scaley March 721 any love so picked up a junker online and set to it. Here's a pic of a mint one. Never liked that front wing...

C026-Scalextric-March-Ford-721_zpsd0tzsnhn.jpg

It's been quite a bit of work - cutting down the chassis so the car could be lowered at the front and a new guide would fit, and removing the ugly front wing. The car arrived with a broken guide holder so I epoxyed in some brass tube as a replacement. I also clipped off the front of the chassis ahead of the guide and glued the three resultant parts onto the body of the car.

march2_zps9v30fblk.jpg

march3_zpsqdm5sxdb.jpg

The body and chassis have been painted since this pic was taken. I was going to scratch up a front wing but liked the look of the car without it. Assembly and testing tomorrow.