mattcrackers

Pioneer General Lee

Hi all,

We are going to add a new class at WASCRG next year, that being the Pioneer muscle car class.

I picked myself up the General Lee a while back, absolutely beautiful model, kept that one for the shelf.

Decided I would like to race the General so purchased another to race at the club.

I've done most of the basic tuning- glued the rear bushings, motor etc, added MJK's, sanded the fronts down, and sanded the chassis to allow for a little body roll etc.

I also glued the two rear exhausts to the body when I screwed the chassis to the body and then proceeded to cut the exhausts of level with the chassis, allowing the body roll.

This being a pretty much stock class except for the MJK's we really can't change out anything.

The problem I have is that the gear mesh is atrocious, sounds like a chaff cutter, even after being run in for 15+ hours over the last week etc.

I have turned the wheels by hand and the spur gear seems to be binding in two spots.

I've tried Cerama-grease like I do on most models to quieten them down but this model doesn't really seem to be quieting.

Has anyone else here had a go at the General Lee yet, and if so do they have any tips on the gear mesh?

I was thinking of reversing the spur gear to see what happens, even trying the lighter/heat trick but I've only ever done that on inline cars.

Any ideas?

cheers

Matt

If the spur is binding constantly in the same 2 places and this doesn't change it sounds to me like the spur is at fault. I have a Pioneer Camaro that had a faulty spur and Jules sent me a replacement rear axle set for it although I just needed a spur gear. He likes guys to be happy with his cars and I'm sure he won't mind seeing that you've got a good one.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Matt,

I'm sorry you have an issue with that gear mesh. I have seen this before, particularly on the very early General Lees. I suspect that the axle is not true. It may also be a fault with the spur. Anyhow, please send me your address and a new rear end will be sent off to you today.

Jues

.....and to continue......

I have never been perfectly happy with the spur gear fitting method - basically an interference fit onto a splined portion of the axle. Essentially, we have to force this on and the margin for error is too great. We shall be moving onto a plastic spur with a screw fitted boss asap. It's on my urgent list.

Jules

• Upvote 1

DM, the General Lee doesn't come with the spare pinion like some of the other Pioneer cars.

Cheers for the input Wobble, I did think this was the case but thought I may be able to crack the problem some other way.

Jules I'll send you a PM regarding the replacement part. One happy customer. Thank you

cheers

Matt

Matt. I dont think its just the general lee chargers.ive been running in a camaro for me and a charger for another club member.both have about 7 hours and have same problem as yours and sound absolutly terrible.even had to change the bushings in the camaro as the axle was slopping aroind real bad and were stuffed.

Considering 'nico87' has a similar problem then this could run deeper than just being a Charger issue. I'm off to batch check the axles.

'nico87' - when you say ".....the bushings in the camaro.......was slopping aroind real bad and were stuffed"...........Do you mean the bushes were moving in the snap-fit or the axle was sloppy inside of the bushes/bearing? Front or back?

Jules

@Pioneer

My Ace of Spades Charger was perfect out of the box, but my son's blue mustang (from the 2 pack) needed some attention to the spur.

Quite a few of the other guys here swapped out the plastic spur for an alloy one, and I think a couple of these were due to noisey mesh.

They still run fine, but are just a little noiser than stock.

Also, I love my Chargers...

Absolutely awesome oval cars, and still quite quick on the flat track.

Basically, MJK tyres, 1mm thick lead down each door sill, a ninco pro guide (Must fit in my opinion) and away they went.

Jules

the rear axle was sloppy and moving around alot in the bushings.the hole in the bushings was way to big causing it move around.

cheers

nick

GAS41T- the only problem my car had straight out of the box was the spur gear,

I did run it around the home Scaly Sport track with the magnet and it ran fine compared to any Scalextric car, bar the noisy gear.

Actually went like a shower of s*&$, lol.

Jules I have seen the rear bushings on Nicks black Camaro and there is a huge amount of play,

I take it this was one of your earlier models.

cheers

Matt

Jules

the rear axle was sloppy and moving around alot in the bushings.the hole in the bushings was way to big causing it move around.

cheers

nick

Do you use a tyre truer that mounts the axle on the stock bushings?

If so, I have melted a front axle this way... :(

'GAS41T', we may as well air the problems here. Please make a list of "so many problems". You'll be helping me. I need to know. Currently, we are at noisy/binding spur gear.

Nick, those rear brass bearings are precision drilled at 2.42mm dia ( + or - 0.01 tolerance). The rear axle is precision ground to a dia of 2.38mm ( + or - 0.01 tolerance). Therefore, in theory, the maximum 'slop' you would get should be no more 0.06mm. It would be awful difficult to say that was sloppy. Having said that, you might have a freak axle. I have to say that, in 7 years, I have never heard of this problem before.

Did this Camaro come straight out of a factory sealed box or had it been around the block (meaning meddled with by another club member before you got your hands on it)? I can only think you have non-Pioneer parts in that Camaro rear axle.

Just in case you were not aware - we offer a pretty good 'sort it out' warranty service. If you are ever unhappy with any element of a Pioneer model, I will get it fixed.

Jules

@Pioneer

Matt, I think you posted your reply just as I hit send.

With regard to Nick's black Camaro, I'm baffled by that. It could be a freak. I've snapped in 10's of 1000's of axles and have never thought "sloppy". I would be very interested to see that axle.

Jules

Hi Jules, Nick sent me a photo that I will send you. I have never see one like that before! I will have a look at it on Saturday night and get back to you. Have to say you have the best customer service of any of the manufacturers! Cheers Syd

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Have a number of Pioneer cars 2 Mustangs, 4 Cameros and 3 Chargers plus the General with the stealth Charger on order and so far only problem i have ever had was with loosing a wheel or two a year or so ago which has not happened since , have no slop in the gears, or in the bearings dry lubed the gears is the only thing i did to them and run very sweet using the 13 t pinion on the Chargers both types of motor are first class really like the 21k , feeling a bit left out guys

Same here Pete, my Camaro's mesh was brilliant, with no slop in the rear axle/bushings. I was very impressed with the build quality.

Must give credit to Jules: Scaley & Ninco have put out thousands of crap rear ends/gear meshes on cars over the years, and rarely if ever see them replacing parts.

Keep up the good work Jules, I'll never buy another brand of muscle car.

Wishlist material - down the track I'd like to see the Mustangs body at least as wide as the Camaro's, for competition racing even if a bit out of scale. It's very difficult to set up a Mustang to compete with the Camaro's non-mag.

Cheers

Caddo

Wishlist material - down the track I'd like to see the Mustangs body at least as wide as the Camaro's, for competition racing even if a bit out of scale. It's very difficult to set up a Mustang to compete with the Camaro's non-mag.

Cheers

Caddo

You must be refering to the Scalextric cars here as I have found the same thing with them. The Pioneer cars are a totally different story as the '67 Notchback is about 1mm wider at the rear arches and carries less body weight than the Camaro. I've had to de-tune the Mustang to allow the Camaro to keep up.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Just to clarify my original post was in no way meant to have a go at Pioneer cars in general.

I thought maybe I had missed something with tuning the gear mesh but as Wobble pointed out in post #3 the spur was/is probably at fault.

Jules has been great in offering to replace the part which goes above and beyond most manufacturers.

cheers

Matt

Wow, that's blown me away. I had assumed Pioneer's Mustang was similar dimensions as Scaley & Ninco's [narrower and taller], and went and bought a bl#*dy Camaro!!. Thanks for the info Wobble.

Wow, that's blown me away. I had assumed Pioneer's Mustang was similar dimensions as Scaley & Ninco's [narrower and taller], and went and bought a bl#*dy Camaro!!. Thanks for the info Wobble.

The Pioneer Camaros do go well but I think the Muzzies have the edge. I'm sure there's room in your garage for another Pioneer car.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Find it the other way round Wobble as i use Carrera track fitted the deeper guide on all my Pioneer cars and the Camaros have the edge over the Mustangs and i don't know why unless it is just the Carrera track for some reason.