ZeGas

Section Timing

I am setting up a one lane rally circuit with analogue timing system. Race Coordinator & Arduino Uno and want to know the limitations of Race Coordinator with Arduino setup.

So the basics are I want to have a start/finish timing point which will be midway down the main straight.

Also want a timing section at start and end of main straight (drag stip) of sorts.

As the start finish will be in the middle I want to ignore that timing point for the drag strip section timing but still include as overall lap timing.

My initial thoughts are to use a lane 1 / lane 2 option on the uno board.

As I will be using phototransistors I thought I could use two in parallel for the lane 2 which will give the timing split.

Downside of this is that it will also give a the timing for the remainder of the track as well.

I see race coordinator has a sections option, could this be an option and if so does it only require more sensors in parallel and can I get it to set lane 1 to one section & lane 2 to two sections or more.

I guess the easy option would be to have the start finish sensors at the end of the main straight, the intermediate sensor at the start and say the track has two sections.

Just didn't really want the start finish to be at the end of the main straight.

One other thing, is the uno board powered directly from the USB, I see there is an additional power supply point.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

From memory, RC doesn't support sectors via extra sensors.

Fairly sure that the later versions of Ultimate racer do though.

As for the drag strip, you could run 2 sensors in sieres.

Break the first sensor will 'start' the lap, and breaking the second one will 'end' it.

As for the drag strip, you could run 2 sensors in sieres. Break the first sensor will 'start' the lap, and breaking the second one will 'end' it.

That was what i had in mind, it would just mean that each lap would get two times unless, as you say, I could start timing on first trigger, stop lap time on next then first trigger would start again.

I might email Dave about it see what he says.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

I did play with some Stsge timing about 12 months ago.

I just added two other IR sensors, on the main straight, connected in Parallel, using Lane 2 for the Stage, while Lane 1 was the lap time.

The first would stat the timing second stop the time on the straight, and start the timing for the remainder of the lap. This gave me two times forvthevlap that I would sort when the times were down loaded, separating the two times on Lane 2 into two stages.

I did start to add some more sensors and divide by two Counter but never sorted it, as Dave was thinking of doing some software changes to do it all. There was little demand so has not done any more.,

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

That's exactly my thoughts Phil, I was just emailing back and forth with Dave Aufderheide about RC being able to do it, he is going to have a think but not hopeful at this stage, but it's got him thinking.

FYI this is the guts of what I sent him, more brains might come up with something better.

Here is a sketch of the track.

20160811150054-013a1125-me.jpg

What I want to do is have a time trial style rally race.

Within that race I want to be able to record total lap time and number of laps etc. That's the easy bit.

The point at which these times will be recorded is shown in the sketch as Lap Timer (X).

I also want to be able to record the section time between points A & B but, if possible, ignore the time from point B back to A.

What I intend to do is to set up 2 lanes on the UNO board.

Pin 4 will be the overall lap time (Lane 1).

Pin 5 will be the section time (Lane 2), that way it will be recorded in the same race .

There will be two phototransistors associated with Pin 5 in series so a two point recording is taken.

The downside is that the "Lane 2" will have two times recorded.

20160811150057-90e648a1-me.jpg

I realise it is a bit of a fudge and I will have to set up two drivers as well, one would probably be "Grant - Lap" and the other "Grant - Sprint" or something like that.

20160811150056-6a257b5b.jpg

This would be super easy if RC has one small (hopefully) change, and that is the ability to set the min and max lap times per lane. (This isn't easy Dave says)

At the moment it is a global change, which generally is fine but in this instance would limit the "Lane 1" timing.

This way I could set "Lane 1", or the global settings, to min 7 seconds and max 20 seconds for instance.

I could then override "Lane 2" setting to set min 1 second and max 4 seconds, hopefully you get the idea.

Would it be possible to have a parent setting, being the global min max times, with a child override that if set for a specific lane would override the parent setting if set.

Cheers Grant

For a drag strip setup as above, you set it up as a 1 lap race with start behind the line.

The if you export the results, you can see the 'reaction' times.

Also, it will penalise people for jumping the start.

I'm not really after a drag race per se, the idea is I want to award points for fastest lap but also points for the fastest "drag", to use the term loosely, over a multi lap or timed time trial.

Would also be good for setting up a car to get straight line speed and compare to overall lap time.

Cheers Grant

Actually, that will already work...

Careful driver creation and heat management will result in the following.

Heat 1

D1 - Lane 1 - Normal Timing loop.

D1B - Lane 2 - Sensor at each end.

Heat 2

D2 - Lane 1 - Normal Timing loop.

D2B - Lane 2 - Sensor at each end.

etc.

Then,

you use the D1/2/etc list to workout the finishing order, and best lap

and you use D1B/D2B/etc. for the best 'straight' time.

It will be a bit messy, but it is doable.

Hey guys, haven't been on Auslot in a long time... but was looking over some of the more interesting posts.

RC now supports segment timing via the arduino track interface. You need a custom UI to display them, but otherwise you can set them up and RC will display/export them to xls.

Also, there's a new app called "Drag Race Coordinator" that is exactly what it sounds like. If you're into drag racing you should check the alpha version of it out.