mattas

Cnc Routed Track 1St Attempt

Hi, I'm a newbie to slot cars but here are some pics of my first CNC routed track build.

11 x 5 foot version of Paramount Ranch Raceway

2 lanes with 4 inch lane spacing. 9 inch wide track

Finished with Dulux Suede Effects Paint Charcol

Lap Lengths are 9.2M and 8.8M and has close laptimes (UR30 Laptimer)

The 2 straights can be removed for storage or can be easily extended for longer straights.

Excellent Track flow on all corners, lots of different corner attack angles. (No reverse direction flow at all)

100_27171.JPG

100_2720.JPG100_2722.JPG

100_2716.JPG

Welcome to Auslot.

Nice track. Looks OK to me in either direction.

Bit of a tricky wiggle in the donut.

Steve K.

Welcome, welcome...

Looks like a fun drivers track...

My only suggestion would be to have larger outer 'gutters'...

Thanks Guys

The wiggle isn't to aggressive and straightens out nice if you blip it to enter at the right angle/drift but can also get ugly quckly so still makes for a bit of challenge there

Correct on the outer gutters rusty, hence the need for extra bits glued on the corners....live and learn, next time :)

Cheers

ooooo a new track to follow, cool.

Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing the progress.

Nice level variations.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Nice simple layout. As you have a bridge shouldn't both lanes be alot closer in length to each other?

Normal people worry me

Hey Triggy, that was the plan and now that you mention it I double checked and am getting 2 inches difference in lane length, so thats a bit closer. I was a bit confused at that one too not sure where I went wrong before. There's maybe a couple of hundredths in the lane times and one lane is slightly easier to drive than the other but makes for a good drivers lane...but it's a fun drivers track i think more than complicated.

Extending the straights an extra foot or two would be good

Did you route the track yourself or did you find a shop willing to do the routing..I know people have approached a couple of joiners in the state to do routing but they have either said no or the cost was too high.

What part of the state are you located?

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

I routed the track myself Phil, I have a 4x8 foot CNC machine (slightly less cutting space) in the shed that I made...I mainly only do custom jobs so I can drive it ok, its one of my favorite toys. Self fabricated and operated so we know each other intimately :)

Most places with there $100-200K CNC routers etc are a joke, they tend to finance expensive machines to do one job and have no idea how to do anything outside of the example patterns in the book that came with the machine. I went to a company to get some titanium cut (water jet cutter)and had to do the program for them because they couldn't even profile 2 numbers for a letter box, but I think it's a common story around here.

Am located in Penguin Phil, apart from standard running costs, I don't really have any overhead expenses (finance/operators/office girl/company car/wifes lifestyle) so generally I can kill most peoples prices pretty easy.

Could be a fledgling business coming on there.

In regards to lane lengths It looks as though on some parts of the track the lanes aren't parallel, you'd be surprised at the difference in length that can make.

On a scaley track, for instance, if you use 4x R1 curves to create a hairpin you get an inside lane length of 310mm but using the hairpin curves the inside length is 400mm so there is 90mm just there.

20160814111410-2050d966.jpg

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

We can only hope so Grant :)

I made the lanes not parallel in places on purpose to try give the effect of taking different race lines, and to make a little more inner lane drift room on corners then squeezes closer for the impression of door banging up the straights

I'm tempted to make some track extensions that would be compatible with scaley etc... on the correct track setup you could make one lane break away from the other to make up difference in lane distance. Not sure the best way but something to this effect might work somewhere in evening things up on tracks without bridges etc...just a thought

track example.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, you can have a track with two lanes the same length and one will be faster than the other.

If you run a car on each lane and they are similar times all's well.

Also if you set up a race so the contenders race on both lanes with the total time/laps recorded for the sum of both then you get an even race as well.

Cheers Grant

I guess it's also unlikely to ever get two cars that run the same. Just a option if someone wanted to change the dynamics of a track in that way. Could make for an interesting layout having lanes that detoured from each other for a section, could make it more difficult to pace off each other for a section and make for some suspense to see if they make up or loose ground....

could be a good way of breaking up vehicle distances for approaching a crossover (not a fan of crossovers) or something. Sounds complicated but no harder to do on the CNC than parallel lanes which are a bit uniform and potentially a bit unnatural flowing maybe. I don't have much experience with slot cars so I don't really know the pros and cons or what people prefer.

The lap times are very close.

Cheers mate

Yeah it is fun, I made a little 1:43 Coffee table track a few years back that did just that.

P1110720.JPG

IMAG0458.jpg

Cheers Grant

awesome thats the idea...looks great, good fun.

I have to build a 10x6 foot 3 lane track for my neighbor next but I'm busting to find time eventually to do a single lane 1/32 gymkhana track just to see if it can work

Cool mate I will have to see what can suss out...I used to race a winged womp with super 16D on the commercial track in Wynyard when I was in my teens

The track was in Goldie St I it was Oddfellows hall, close to the pub!

They ran a National Brabham Trophy race there, I think in 69 or 70. Some of Australias best came down to race.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

That's the one. I remember my dad mentioning there was one there at the oddsfellows hall near the pub, I'm a product of the 70s and no such place existed in my time. Pretty amazing to think something like that was staged in Wynyard. A friend of the family had an old track with cox? style cars we used to play with as kids but the bodies had a few broken corners and was a bit dilapidated.