What Are You Running This Year

miveson

With only a few weeks away until the cars need to be Tassie bound it seemed relevant to see if anyone is willing to divulge what they are running this year?

I'm retiring last years cars after such fantastic performances (laugh)....... seriously the wheels have been falling off the Focus and the Redbull Touareg is just to nice to send away again without someone stealing it. I'm a bit fed up with Ninco wheels of late with the vast majority suffering cracks and rolling off the axle mid-corner.

For the WRC I've been playing with a Pug which seems to be the weapon of choice for the podium finishers however my yellow pug just isn't doing it for me so I've reverted to a Ninco Subaru which looks and feels faster than the Focus of last year but is probably slower.

The raid class is such a tough class to pick and well I ended up going with a Bowler, it's still 0.3s off the pace of the Touareg with plenty of tuning to come. I think the Touareg benefits greatly from a low centre of gravity. Hopefully the lap times will come down considerably during development.

I was hoping tor run a Ninco Lancia that I took from it's sparkling box and was disappointed to discover that the Lancia 037 comes with the NC9 Sparker motor and it's way, way under powered. I don't really have any other equivalent small can motor that I can use so I'm likely to use an MSC 6R4 that I have in the spares box.

I'll take some snaps over the coming days to peak or dull your interest.

Edited by miveson

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slot cars :) Had a bit of a testing session on Friday. Didn't go too well..... I have some work to do. Keeping the C4 from last year and the Lancia from Historics has had some work done. Also looking at a bit of a challenge car for Historics as an alternative. Not sure if i'll get to the Raid.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

I have two Historics under development,Ninco Porsche and a Spirit Pug. Hard choice as both are producing very close times.

I have a Ninco Lancer for the WRC but still not quiet up to last years Pug.

Not sure about the Raid have a Pajero and Pajero Evo to try and improve on.

The kids WRC Pug has had a rebuild,new tyres and a minor weight change.

the one set up is the ninco schlesser buggy. you can see the picture here:

https://scontent.fper3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13690615_10206396947345874_5088049187426741971_n.jpg?oh=1bfb8e93052cf8f49240d0592d5b956b&oe=5850917D

it is mounted with the sloting plus reynard front wheel on the rear with mjk on it. it looks awesome and meet the size requirements. the front wheels are scalextric plastic GT wheels which also meet the rule. I kept the stock motor and place a resitor in serie to tam it down.

The car is heavely weitghted and the suspension are all removed with bearing glued.

The car feel smooth on the track but as all these high gravity center car you need to keep the flow to stay on. I would say that the rear wheels still have too much traction even if there are as narrow as i could find ...

about the WRC and classic, i do not know yet.

I placed a BRM pink motor in last year SCX citroen WRC car to make it smoother and it worked. Change the rear tyres for a set less used... and the car is amazing on track. I wanted to use the ninco C4 mounted with avant LMP hard rim, MJK and pirahna motor but it is harder to drive. The lap times are equivalent but the SCX let you go with so many mistake without deslot that it is insane on the long run.

About the classic, the team slot A310 is fun to drive with very narrow MJK wheels on the back... but i am missing a good ninco guide for it.

The avant mounted with a pirahna motor and some scalex plastic wheels in the rear deslot less.

your vote are welcome :).

So, i have almost the same problem in WRC and classic... should decide in the next two weeks. the SCX citroen will probably come one more year but i have no clue about the classic.

I will also send a car for demonstration. it is a snow citroen xara SCX body mounted on a killslot chassis. it is very easy build and a test to get phil approval to run them next year. As i said, not racing, just demo.

shipped today:

schlesser buggy, light weight interior, stock motor with series resistor, lots of weight, rocking body on the front (could have done better on the back, plan for next year), big plastic gt wheels in front, sloting plus metal wheels on the back (possible problem, the grub screw was getting loose on my track, heavy strengh apply to fix the issue)

SCX pro xara, last year car with a pink BRM motor and new tyres. simply amazing on my track, nice slide, high speed and no deslot.

Avant alpine A310, the white one this year. motor is an piranha 21k short can, the car is on F1 plastic rear wheels... it is light on the back which allow sliding even with this wide wheels.

the 3 cars are on MJK.

Hi Phil and all.

Do not know whether you have opened my package Phil but you will probably laugh when you do. Same cars as last year.

Did consider replacing WRC Ninco Subaru with Scaly Ford Focus but body was so heavy (10gs extra) despite being a smaller car. Gave Subby new tyres and braids so hope it holds together. Appears to be running ok after shocking condition it was in on return from previous series.

Same.goes for Historic Ford RS200 (new tyres and braid). I know you guys enjoy the challenge of driving this car. Body happens to be the same weight as Subby.

Finally my RAID truck - Bowler Nemesis. Left as finished last series so you can see how much field has improved. I did clean braids and lightly sand tyres. Surprised however that body lightest of my 3 cars by 5gms. Very light for such a big body. In testing a front wheel did come off so glued back on after slotting end of axle.

I know I might get a few ribs for my selection but I know you Aussies like to give it to us Kiwi's so I did not want to spoil your fun.

All the best to you all for 2016-17.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

PS. It is only year 6 for the Subby and 4 for Ford - they are just run in.

Edited by charlesx

Charles, yes your cars are in Parc Ferme after a very brief shakedown run around the rally track. Braids needed a bit of adjustment, but all run well. Subby seems very smooth again, like it should be.

No problem with the Buggy,just check the overall height,they are low once the tyres are sanded.

Edited by kalbfellp

I have two Historics under development,Ninco Porsche and a Spirit Pug. .

I have a very good Pug 4WD but i was wondering can it accomodate 19mm wheels?I am away from home right now

I was intending of entering a Ninco 037 but i read miveson's post and was disapointed.

As for WRC it will be a Subaru,either the old Scaley one or a Ninco

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Well, another car has been decided.

Dylan will be running a ScaleAuto 'Maxi' (Mini Countryman) in the Raid class.

So far, testing of my Touareg is not going as well as I would like, but it is slowly getting quicker.

959 is basically done, but it still needs it's decals, which thankfully, have arrived.

Interesting choice with the Mini Countryman - personally feel that it's a tad top heavy...

Landed a job 2 weeks ago so had zero time to do anything which is a real shame...... as I really wanted to sort many of the cars.

Have WRC selected and almost ready to roll........ just needs some weight and tyres....

Raid isn't going very well so seriously considering entering last years Touareg

Historics - haven't even looked.

Fingers crossed that I have enough tyres around for the vehicles (Raid is sorted).

Hopefully will have a few hours this weekend to sort and post off cars early next week.... damn time seems to come around so quickly....

Glad to say that I've finally tuned up the Raid car to where I want it to be, a pleasure to drive now and outperforms last years car which is a good thing, easy to drive as well and I'm finding it hard to put down the controller as it's pretty fun to drive - not sure how it will perform in the real world with scenery and the like.

Still need to true tyres down and glue the motor / weight in place. I wish I'd spent more time working with both the MSC and Slot.it 4WD systems - however found that standard band 4WD on the Raid just made the car less stable so removed it.

A couple of hours tomorrow and Raid and WRC will definitely be finished. Not quite sure about the Historic entry..... I'd still like to use my 037 and might have to some hacking to replace the motor with something better - more to come......

Ahhhhh - the joys...... I've probably got another weekend up my sleeve as well so stay tuned..... intending to post this week unless something goes badly wrong tomorrow.

Running the same as last year in Historics and WRC but done a lot of mods on the Avant Scoobie that went so bad last year , fall away gone replaced with a scaleauto sprung guide , front wheels are now independent with a bit of up and down movement wheels now slot it 43 als with a new Ninco 5 motor, the RS 200 has new wheels, guide , pickups, change in gear ratio, also sent along a SCX C4 for the ride fitted with a MSC 4WD motor , slot it 43 als all round, ballraces on front and rear axles MRRC axles with a new set of 4219 MJK's, new SCX guide and flexi pick ups, just to see what it goes like on the different rally tracks actually, did this conversion originally for WRP as something different from scaley as i have a few redundant SCX cars now.