2016 Tasman Cup Car Returns

Stubbo

Hi Alan, Glad to report that my Green Rattler has arrived home, none the worse for wear. Now to do a post-mortem on its lack of speed. Initial cursory inspection showed nothing particularly wrong with the car, so will put it through a track test this weekend and see what's bugging it.. And thanks for the 2 pairs of PG's - very useful.

Now onto the sticky question of motor for the Tassie. I gave up on the VRAA because of the hassle involved in obtaining the UNOBTANIUM BWA FF050. I can recall the nightmare I had in my first year of VRAA entry when I tried to get the motor from Al Penrose which eventually arrived 2 months late, AFTER I had sent the car to Phil Kalbfell who had very kindly offered to fit in a spare which he had and then send it on to the States for me. I do enjoy the occasional adventure which seems to crop up now and then in proxy races but stress situations like these, I can do without! If we are going to be stuck again with the BWA FF050 as Hobson's choice, it's going to put a real damper on the series. I'm not sure as to the reason for withdrawing the eligibility of the Solarbotics but keeping it on at least gives us a viable alternative to the BWA. Although my experiences with the Solarbotics have been not too successful, it does give me a choice for powering the car. If it's a question of availability, then maybe I can help by offering an alternative.

Back in early 2014, I sent a couple of motors to Stu Loader (SLOW1QUIK) to test for suitability for use in the Tasman. These were motors which I had obtained locally in Kuala Lumpur at fairly cheap prices. They are

DSC00532_zpsp4by5hzn.jpg and DSC00531_zps05rzvjzy.jpg

The PPN7 is quite close to the Solarbotics in dimensions and according to Stu, it was tested at 12v to 25,600 rpm. The PPN13, again, is dimensionally very close to the BWA FF050 and revved up to 17.700.

I have been running these motors in my cars on my local track and I can say that the PPN7 is a pretty good match for the Solarbotics in both performance and brakes (i.e. they won't stop!!). The PPN13 is more than a match for the BWA 050 and geared correctly, can even take on Scalextric's MotoGP slimliner. If there is interest in these motors to be used for the Tasman, and someone in Oz is prepared to stock up on them to supply entrants, I am willing to help obtain these in quantities of say, 30. 50 or even 100 and ship them over. I'm not saying this will be a solution to the Tasman motor issue but it may help to alleviate the situation.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Now i have my Lotus 24 BRM back and changed the gear ratio to 9x 24 same as my Lotus 24 Climax it,s brother i have here been running the Climax with the srp 18 k alongside the Tasman one with the 16 and there is not really any noticeable difference the 16 is nicely run in and very smooth the 18 is newer but also smooth still think the 16 has slightly better braking strange as the 18 is newer but really don't mind either motor running together in any event.

Got mine back tonight via Shadow (many thanks Micheal).

Seems ok other than the gear seems to have moved so not meshing properly. The body definitely sits higher than how I sent it too.

Is all ok though. I have an SRP 16k now so, assuming they will be ok, will have a better chassis for next time.

Many thanks too for the tyres.

Tony

my car is safe and sound

Thanks Allan

Ps I changed my Srp to a mt1 and my car is half a second slower so not happy can someone let me know if that is the difference in motors or a combination of motor & gearing ??

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

srp = ~16k

mt1 = ~14k

bwa = ~14.5k

Chances are that a gearing change will almost certainly be required...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the SRP 16 is BACK...

Although, it's a Power16, instead of a Speed16.

http://www.mrrc.com/motor-slimline-power16-16000upm/12v

Turns out that the 'original' 16's were named 'Power16' as you can see the name in the image on RL's motor list site.