Spirit Ferrari 512M

Some time ago I got my hands on a few Spirit Ferrari 512Ms and got a double-up of the Filipinetti car, which I didn’t like in the first place. After looking at it for a while I thought I could fix the major flaw in its looks – the stubby squared-off nose – and repaint it at the same time.

Photo01s.jpg

Of course the old paint needed to come off so a soak in a bath of metho and then some scrubbing with a toothbrush to bring it back to bare plastic.

Photo08s.jpg

The front intake which is the black bit at the nose of the car is moulded into the chassis, so I cut that section off first. Then I used strips of plasticard to build a nose extension around the intake and glued it to the front.

Photo10s.jpg

Despite this add-on, the body still looks stumpy compared to the real car. In an attempt to fix this I opened out the leading edge of the front and rear wheel arches to make the car look longer. I also move the headlight openings a little bit forward as they should be close to the front. Then on with the primer.

Photo11s.jpg

The Penske version of this car had a full-width rear wing, which I thought would make the car appear longer, so I made one from a spare wing and some plasticard.

Photo12s.jpg

The paint caused a bit of drama. I painted it with Humbrol matt enamel as the colours matched the blue and yellow I wanted. I had made the mistake of thinking an air-brushed clear coat would hide the matt effect. It didn’t, and eventually I resorted to topping it with Humbrol acrylic clear, which they tell me is the hobby equivalent to Klear.

I didn’t like the driver – one of the worst of the Mr Blobbies. So I added a driver from a Scalextric Mustang which had dark goggles that made him look a bit like Mark Donohue in sunglasses.

auslot1.jpg

To fix the droopy front wheels I removed the stub axles and fitted Slot.it alloys and a solid axle. The original wheels were turned into inserts.

Edited by KarKraft

Fly never did a version of the 512 M only the 512 s.

The Penske 512 was not a Ferrari body, but was a copy built by Penske on a 512 s chassis like the Ferrari versions.But the cockpit area is narrow compared to the Ferrari version,

I started to convert a Spirit some time ago But it got put on the back burner.

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Hours? No idea - not an excessive amount. It's was about the time span - letting glue, filler, primer, paint, decals and clear coat cure before moving to the next made it a long time from start to finish. My job involves a lot of overnight stays in different towns. I'm not a pub kinda guy so I pack a tackle box with a project and materials to keep me amused.

Phil - let me know if you need the 'Cebe' logo for decals. I have a high-res version in pdf.

Edited by KarKraft

Nice stuff KK. I like to see a guy cutting and shutting bodies.

Resin Ferrari inserts to fit Slotit 15" rims are available from munter skunkworks if you need any sometime in the future.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

• 2 months later...