lenny broke

2016 Tasman Cup Round 6 Spitfire Raceway

The cars have arrived here at Spitfire Raceway and are about to undergo a quick check over and a test drive before we go into qualifying.

There's a new track for this year which will stretch the legs of the little luvlies on the straights and nice big open turns.

Track length is 26metres with Wattyl gloss paving paint for the track surface. Expect lap times to be in the hi 7's to low 8's for the quickest cars.

Race format will be 8 X 2min heats with the two driving teams swapping over at the halfway point. This way no one gets stuck marshaling all night.

Good luck top every one,

Cheers, Alan

IMG_1246_zpsaiwvkqtf.jpg

OK, Qualifying has been conducted and here's the result.

Well done to Stew on another pole and to John S and ChasX on the other top spots.

I've made some personal observations during qualifying but I'll post them tomorrow so you have something to look at while you wait on the race results.

Tasman%202016%20Qualy%20rnd%205_zps2zd2epfk.jpg

\

The Qualifying Podium, Old 28 FPR7 and Charlesx, sorry about the picture quality, photography ain't one of my superpowers I'm afraid.

2016%20quali%20podium_zpsfyar5kjr.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Wow. 4th. Was not expecting that.

Thanks for that.

Thanks for kicking this round off so quickly Alan. Been a busy week for you SA guys! Nice track BTW!

Looking forward to the comments, particularly, thoughts on the Slo mobile.

Its great to see some new faces along with some regulars up front. Good luck with the racing.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Hi All,

Here's my driver comments about each car. I did these during qualifying rather than the initial test runs. anumber of cars were prone to easy deslots, I feel that this could be put down to guide set up on those cars. Ive had a look at a number of them an my observation is that it appears that the guide is not fully down in the slot.

Alan

Qualifying%20Driver%20comments_zpsqzwggsw6.jpg

Well Round 6 has been completed and I can announce the results for Round 6 and the podium is .....

Tasman%202016%20podium_zpsujfuiwqo.jpg

Congratulations to....................... 1st Place The Grandkids 2nd place Max Newcombe 3rd place Slo1quik

Well done to the Kalbfell kids on another win and to Max and Stu for their fine performances. There was quite a battle for the top spots with the top 6 car separated by less than a lap.

Tasman%202016%20Round%206%20results_zpsyggym048.jpg

Thanks to John, Max, Bert, Mike, Callum, Paul O, Paul W and Peter for driving and marshalling, John Bear for assisting me with running the race.

I also need to say a BIG THANKYOU to my amazing wife Heather (Mrs Broke) for allowing me do all this with good humour and for the fantastic spread she put on for us all, Everyone was well fed and watered through what turned out to be a long night. H also took some pics and did a couple of videos that I'll post later as well, If I can work out how to embed the vids

I'll post some driver observations later on after I've deciphered the chicken scratchings on the comment sheets

There was a bit of damage to some cars last night but only cosmetic with a couple of loose windscreen a few exhausts and one decapitation but they all survived pretty well mechanically. I'll have a look at those cars this afternoon and fix what I can before posting the cars on to Stubbo tomorrow morning.

Finally thanks to every one for letting us play with your little gems. I can say in general the guys really enjoyed racing them and all left happy with the evening

we are all looking forward to next year.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Congratulations to the winners, Great round Alan, really enjoyed the night of best Tasmanian weather.

My first drive on the track with the little cars and really a challenge to come to grips with the huge variety of handling & speed on the bigger

track. An interesting circuit with some tricky corners but was great to have the challenge. It is a track the really sorts the better handling cars

For instance my car was fast ( 2nd Qualifier) and reasonable but as found in R5 at FPR it became just that little bit tippy particularly toward the end of the night. Maybe a case for slightly harder less grippy tyres or perhaps more work on the handling aspect by me.

Look forward to next year on Spitfire. Thanks to Mrs Broke & yourself Lenny for providing the great supper and pleasant surroundings.

Thanks Alan the gang for making all this happen.

I think these results will really make things tighten up at the top.

Congratulations to the Grandkids Max and Slo. Well done to DM on the quickest lap.

I'll get to the standings a bit later on. The round 5 results may have been a bit out of order so I am redoing them and I'll post up theRr5 and R6 at the same time.

Alan Stubbings

Awesome - the little green machine likes the tracks in SA - quickest lap to go with a podium last round and it looks like only a bees ..... between the top 7. Thanks to all for your efforts.

Congrats to the podiumites and organisers for a great round and quick results.

Despite good qualifying time after comments about brakes I am not surprised I finished well done the field.

Part of trouble is I like racing with little if any braking but this does not suit everybody.

Like the look of your track Alan. It is a great asset to the Tasman Cup proxy.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas,

Generally it's a good little car, just let down by poor brakes. I qualified the cars and had driven in the previous round so I was aware of the brakes situation. I also had a bit of time to test each car before hand so new I had to set the brake pot bypass switch on my Difalco controller to get it to pull up. The main problem is, in the race the guys only get a 5 laps warm up to get a handle on each car and every car has different characteristics so they don't have much time to adapt their driving style to suit them. The most successful cars in the series are easy to drive and pull up predictably and not necessarily the fastest.

IMHO I'd consider changing the Solabotics motor for a SRP speed16 FF050 to give the car some more "drivability". other that that just leave all as it is.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Think I'll need the SRP 16 motor too. The BMW 14 is clearly not fast enough...

Hope you had fun with it anyway, and that it didn't leave you fast asleep down the straights...

Thanks Alan and drivers, marshals and helpers. Stella effort to get this one done and dusted with all the re organising and all!

Well done to the GK's and Max on 1st and 2nd!

Really happy, and very surprised, to come home 3rd after qualifying 19th. The top dozen and more had very competitive times by the looks, so I feel very lucky to snatch that last podium spot. Its really good to see so many cars with pace this year. Well done done guys.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Well 10th is a bit of a slide from 4th, but I'm still fairly happy with my result for a first attempt.

To see the #28 car qualify on pole and then finish the round in 8th place is disappointing. These things have been known to happen in a proxy race, though no previous pole winner has finished lower than 4th in a Tasman Cup race either this year or last.

To see the same thing happen two races in a row is both mystifying and disturbing.

To see the #28 car qualify on pole and then finish the round in 8th place is disappointing. These things have been known to happen in a proxy race, though no previous pole winner has finished lower than 4th in a Tasman Cup race either this year or last.

To see the same thing happen two races in a row is both mystifying and disturbing.

I feel I need to respond to the above post.

First up I want to categorically say that all the cars were driven honestly and to the best of the ability of all the drivers concerned with this round, so I have to say that I am both disappointed and offended if there is any implication of impropriety about the running of my round.

I qualified all the cars including no 28 on the Friday afternoon prior to the race on Saturday evening. I own the track used for this round and am very familiar with how to get the best out of the car on it.I also drove in the previous round and was also familiar with car 28 so was able to drive that car to a good result in qualifying

All the guys I asked to drive are regular club racers of varying ability but were all competent enough to take part in the event. All of them spoke highly of car 28 and said how much they enjoyed driving it. but not everyone may have been able to get the best out of it, or there may have been an incident that delayed its progress in the race I ran race control on the event so can't say for sure what may have happened but I again can assure there was no deliberate interference to any car to affect their final result.

I'm sorry if you are disappointed with your result Stew but sometimes it doesn't work out the way you think it should.

Alan

I should also add that as a driver in the previous round I saw no skulduggery there either. Others commented that some cars became tippy as the track "rubbered up" through the night, #28 being one of those.

Edited by lenny broke

Alan, I didn't mean to imply any individual impropriety, or indeed a larger conspiracy, against my car. Either the #28 is unusually difficult to drive at the limit or I am suffering an extended streak of bad luck during which I ought to avoid purchasing any lottery tickets! Either of those explanations is "disturbing".

Cheers,

Stewart