shadow_rusty

Professor Motor "platinum" Differences

As you all know, there are several models of PM controllers.

What I have been struggling with is getting some of the different models to perform the same as others.

So far, I've noticed / been informed about, 4 main differences.

1. Sensitivity Knob Resistor (Which sits on the transistor side of the board, just above the sensitivity pot shaft)

2. Resistor 'Ladder' (Which is 12x resistors on the opposite side of the board of the wiper)

3. 3x Self Resetting Fuses (They look like caps, but they are not)

a. Partial Throttle (Near the transistor, on the opposite side)

b. Full Throttle (Near where the wires terminate)

c. Brake (Near the brake 'screw' terminal)

4. Transistor / Heatsink (Most have had their numbers removed)

Here's what I have seen on the entry level 'basic' (PM2120) models...

1. 15v = 6.2ohm (blue, red, gold, gold), and 18v = 4.3ohm (yellow, orange, gold, gold)

2. 6x 6.2ohm (blue, red, gold, gold) and 6x 8.2ohm (grey, red, gold, gold)

3a. 30v 1.6a (LF 30 160U)

3b. 16v 3.0a (LF 16 300G)

3c. 30v 1.6a (LF 30 160U)

4. TIP 35C (No Heatsink)

So, if anyone else cares to, please feel free to add the info from your controllers, preferably with which version it is.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by shadow_rusty

Factory Adjustable with Heatsink

1. 4.9ohm (yellow, white, gold, gold)

2. 6x 6.3ohm (blue, orange, gold, gold) and 6x 8.9ohm (grey, white, gold, gold)

3a. Unmarked

3b. Unmarked

3c. Unmarked

4. Covered (Heatsink)

Just to add to the complexity, pretty well all the PMTR2116 that I imported over the past 7 years were "custom modified"

That model - sitting between the 2120 entry level and the 2120 which has variable sensitivity and variable brake pot,

comes with variable sensitivity, but no brake pot.

Normally they were built for USA raceways at 14 - 19 volts stated range, but I had them all built by Andy for 12 volt optimum, usable up to 14 volts, and functional down to 9.5 volt - actually they run down to 9 okay.

So there are around 50 or 60 of these floating round NZ and Australian tracks that will be different to ones sold by other distributors or bought direct from PM.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Thanks for that Mark.

I suspect though, it is likely that, the only difference to the standard controller will be the 'Sensitivity knob resistor', which is how the 12-15v, and 15-18v options are 'created'.

Given that it's now a max of 14v, I would expect it to be approximately 6.5 to 7 ohms.

Unless of course, that the 15v one that they now sell is actually the same as the one he created for you...

Edited by shadow_rusty

I became interested in these controllers about 8 years ago when a guy called in with two on them,one Negative and one positive and asked could I convert the negative over to positive.

So a new transistor and a few diodes changes an it was done.

b_002644.jpg

This is the original Positive controller about 9 years old.

Since then I have repaired and change a few over from positive to negative and from high voltage to low voltage.

All have been models with both brake and sensitivity controls.

I have found two different value brake pots fitted.

Most have been similar in that the only value sensitivity resistor I have found have all been 4.3 Ohms.

But I have found several variations in the resistor array.

Most common seems to be 6 x 6.3 oms and 6 x 8.9 ohms on the 2110 Purple board controllers.

But I did find one that came direct from PM with ( from the start end) 3 x 6.3, 3 x 8.2 , 5 x 12.3 and one 12.8 resistor.

This was new from PM about 2 years ago. The resistor on the sensitivity pot was 4.3 ohms.

At least two of the controllers in our club have 12 x 10 ohm resistors.

The high voltage ones all seem to have around 160 ohms total resistance on the array.

The latest one I converted ( Black board marked 2012) to low voltage had 12 x 13 ohm resistors on the array and 4.3 sensitivity resistor.

This one also has a larger diameter sensitivity pot BUT still 25 ohms.

I have been fitting Diode chokes for the club guys so have been checking the controllers as I go.

The only problem we have had with these controllers is three melted brake pots. Two due to shorts.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Hmmm, I'm thinking it may be time to build up a swappable module aka difalco style.

I did start a module using a 25 pin plug and socket for my mosfet controller build, may even get time to finish it some day!

Interest piqued....

Do tell...

Oooh, but you said Mosfet, not transistor...

Love to see a PM converted to Mosfet...

I did start a module using a 25 pin plug and socket for my mosfet controller build, may even get time to finish it some day!

Interesting !

Which 'Mosfet' controller are you building ?

Also, I use the single row pins from the Arduino kits from Jaycar to make single inline sockets for resistor modules.

Stackable Header set for Arduino - Cat # HM3207