tonka500

Lumpy Plaster Problems

Hello again,

I'm having a go a doing a small section of landscaping on my track.

Is there are trick to getting plaster work really smooth? Mine gets lumps and finger marks and stuff through it. I thought you must just sand it down once dry but it's hard stuff!

Couple of pics of my lumpy handiwork that has had a fair bit of sanding:

20160628_155944.jpg image upload no resize

20160628_160012.jpg image hosting free no registration

Edited by tonka500

lumps are good - unless you are modelling a bowling green :)

What are you covering it with? - make some of the lumps rocks and put some long grass in the dips.....

Maradona quotes and white powder. Peas in a pod.

Thanks for the feedback.

If it is looking like it is supposed to I'm happy thanks. Just seems lumpier than pics of other tracks I've seen but might be because it is close up and I'm thinking about it too much.

In terms of covering it I'm undecided. The rest of the track is the clean look with just paint, borders, and no landscape so was thinking of just painting the hills. Kinda to give more of an illusion or reference to hills than actual landscaped hills. But then I also wouldn't mind having a go with fake grass and stuff. Might just paint it and if it looks dodgy go the grass over the top.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Edited by tonka500

I tend to think that painted plaster doesn't look as good as when it is covered with some scenic materials.

The static grass - works best with an applicator - I would paint it and put some ground cover (very fine foam) over most of it and a different coloured clumps of foam in random places. I scored an old blender so make my own ground up foam - use an old cushion cut it into small pieces and blend - just add some green paint whilst blending - let it all drive. You can make a heap of ground cover for next to nothing.

or you could leave it as is and put some skiers on it :)

If you do decide to paint it - check out videos on youtube for model railroad scenery - you can get some pleasing results eg.

https://youtu.be/j6O5mM01S9Q

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Yes, bit of earth base colour and some static grass will bring that up. You tube static grass applicator - you can make one for about $15 from an electronic fly swatter and a sieve.