terry

2016 Tasman Cup Round 4 Marsden Park

Very excited to see the cars arrive here at long last and a very impressive line up it is!

Its always a delight to be able to put the cars on track and get the opportunity to drive some excellent slot cars,

Thank you for entrusting your babies to me for this round.

162508.jpg

I've tried to get this trimmed up but Photobucket is not cooperating so hopefully you will see your cars standing after practice runs on all 3 lanes.

Interestingly all cars ran the 3 lanes in very similar times, which is a little unusual as in the past there always seemed to be a fast lane.

Unfortunately a death in our family has prevented me from running the round tomorrow, I will endeavour to get the round done as soon as possible

Edited by terry

Glad your enjoying the drive Terry , agree they do look a great bunch of cars indicative of the period , my personal favourite era have a great run with them. :)

Terry,

Our condolences. Sorry to hear of your loss.

You are so generous to run the practice and orovide notes at this time.

Many thanks

Hi Terry,

My condolences to you and your family.

Family comes first.

Thanks for getting the round underway. We have a bit of time up our sleeve so the race can be run when you are ready.

Regards

Alan Stubbings

My condolences too Terry to you and your family.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling for this round Terry and with comments, that's a humongous effort!. You've gone over and above the call of duty.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Thanks for the kind comments, my dad passed away a week ago and as he lived down the south coast ( about 7 hours from me) I had to go down and finalise legal stuff.

Feeling a bit rough today,so I'll be qualifying after lunch.

Sorry to learn of your loss, Terry. My condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Stewart

Hi Terry,

Sorry to hear about your Dad, it's not the easiest of times I know.

re your comments on the car, There were a number of revisions for this year so maybe half the car is from last year, mainly the chassis rails and front brass plate, wheels and body. I moved the motor forward a bit to alter the weight bias, replaced the rear axle tubes with slot it gimble bearings and replaced the independent front wheels with a solid axle. I also replace the rear tyres for a pair of Paul Gage, not sure of the compound though.

Alan

Qualifying all done, I suppose the numbers tell the story, overall the times show most cars have improved their times from practice, although I feel that times will further improve on race day.

162510.jpgThanks again for the kind comments regarding my Dads passing, certainly have appreciated the opportunity to absorb the proxy race and get my mind off other issues.

Race day will be tomorrow

Edited by terry

Condolences to you and your family for you loss.

Hopefully you have the support you all need in this time...

ps. Looking forward to the race results, and hoping my T53 can improve on it's qualifying.

Just a few pics before raceday.

164418.jpg

173833.jpg

Edited by terry

Round 4 has been run and won,

163452.jpg

Have to say I was a little surprised with the result Johns' Brabham had been fastest in practice and qualifying , but come race day The #28 Lotus of Old23 was just great, it did show improved pace in qualifying but come race day it was clearly the car to beat.

Lots of good cars to drive this year, all cars ran without mechanical issues and tyre grip was good for most cars,

152102.jpg

As discussed earlier I only gave the cars a wipe on the wet sponge at the beginning of each heat and that proved to be just fine.

I'll post more pics later on, I ll be happy to answer any questions on the race as to "why did my car do that" or whatever

Edited by terry

A few observations if I may.....

1f433136-8634-4662-b82c-0ac46721b85d_zpsbgob9nvl.jpg

Another cracker from the Grandkids, this time sporting a Pendle chassis, just like ferrari 1950 a few years ago, this car ran very hard in todays race, excellent handling and very predictable, you could push real hard with the car and you just knew it would behave

32987546-9029-4d61-aaa1-3f5dbbcca073_zpsz63t1taq.jpg

Another car making a return from last year, unfortunately for me, I just couldn't get it right, the car is lacking any real brakes and its a lottery as to deslotting or not, maybe fitting a more drivable motor may make this car a better racer

10a3757f-cc6c-4a9c-8d17-3a0b697e065f_zpspfj4otv6.jpg

I thought before the meet that this was going to be a podium finisher, often that is the case with cars from Slo1,it certainly presents well and in practice and qualifying was there or thereabouts, I thought in driving that the car lacked a bit of zip, a very nice car to drive and it would look very handy on my shelf!

62a537ee-26f8-40e4-8620-96c3311d1918_zpsry9e5xcm.jpg

What a difference from last years car!

Had some good fun thrashing this thing, very drivable and predictable, if the tyres had been just a wee bit better ...... nice car Lenny!

6c02254f-fc4b-4bcc-8818-f555590e5acb_zpssh7wlalc.jpg

CharlesX's Brabham did lack a bit on grip and was a little lacking in the grunt department, easy enough to drive but just lacking a bit

08045157-c498-4b52-aa2a-6409cc51a79d_zpskkghfoja.jpg

For me, a new entrant, and a pretty fair car especially if this is a new builder, car ran okay times and performed alright, certainly plenty of room for improvement especially with the tyres which seemed too high a profile

caa54e03-a917-4a2b-bcfd-5c58c38ba606_zpsoemd7jol.jpg

This car is a good example of improving from last year,( 10 laps quicker than last year and 10 places higher) just that bit better and a real nice car to drive, super slot car!

Edited by terry

Thanks Terry for getting this Round completed.

Well done to Old 23, condolences to me as I will have more crisp put on me from the Grsndkids.

Makes you wonder why you would build a chassis.

While John did finish back in 3rd He would have still increased his points lead.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Thanks for running the round Terry.

Definitely some quick cars in the field.

Quick question, should I be equal 24th?

Sorry mate,

I thought I would have at least 1 stuff up!

Relisted the correct placings

Thanks Terry for all the effort you have put in at a trying time for you, my first and possibly only year of doing this proxy, but i was wondering where 14 is loosing out as testing here it seemed quite good and smooth, possibly the gearing but hard to get right for all tracks , or is the motor tired, already sussed out on the wrong tyre but only had MJK's to use.

Well I thought your car was pretty close to being a good'un

I look at the cars performance on my track and reckon that to be right in the mix you have to be under 5 seconds now your car recorded 5.066/5.109/ and 5.043 on the 3 lanes, so you aren't too far away, certainly tyres are critical, gearing is usually 9:24 and overall weight is preferably mid 50 gram range.

I enjoyed driving your car it was predictable and easy to push hard when necessary

hopefully you'll be back (with a few minor changes)

Edited by terry

Thanks Terry. Glad you liked my first effort. I'd be interested in suggestions to enhance for next time - tyre size, height and up until now, not much pace or grip seem to be commentary.

This is my fist build of this type - made a few 1/24 international chassis/lexan models before but have not had to work in such a tight space previously.

Looking fwd to more events, and a chance to host one in Canberra.

Well done Terry!

Congrats to Stewart, The Grandkids and JB on the top spots.

Given the very tight qually times in the top dozen or so, this one was going to be a competitive run. Its great to see some mid fielders move up a notch.

Many thanks for getting the round done so quickly in this difficult time, top job!

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Thanks Terry - some improvement (around 4/10th of a second) on last year but still some work to do to match the front runners next year. Might be time for a new chassis with offset gearing.

Edited by dangermouse

Thanks Terry.

Pretty happy with my results.

Thanks Terry.

Pretty happy with my results.